E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Photography

Photography

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
3quarterI

My Ride: 2010 Honda Insight
Photographing a diamond

I'm working with a custom jeweler to make an engagement ring for my girlfriend. With me having an interest in photography, I thought it'd be cool to photograph the loose diamond, the empty ring and then later the final product to put into a frame or something at some other time. The jeweler was totally cool with the idea as long as the shots are done in his office.

Since I've never done this type of photography before and I can't spend a lot of time shooting in his office, I could use any advice/examples you guys can give me. I have no idea where to start (lens, positioning, settings, lighting, backgrounds).

I'd prefer to use only my existing equipment but don't mind spending a little money if needed. Here's the equipment I currently own:
-5d mark iii
-70-200 f/2.8L IS II
-17-40 f/4L
-580 exII flash with diffuser cap and cheap radio trigger
-cheap tripod

At my initial consultation I noticed he had some really nice professional looking lamp lighting to display the loose diamonds to me, so I'm sure I could use that in the shoot. Like I said, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
3quarterI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
Adamo99

My Ride: e39 530i, e93 335i
You have a 5DIII and L lenses, and can't figure out how to take a picture of a stationary object?

Buy a macro lens. Pick up a high end jewelry catalogue, find the 'look' you like, and try to replicate. Use lighting available at jeweler.
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
3quarterI

I was looking for advice more along the lines of which lens (that I already own), focal length, aperture, etc would be best without having to purchase new lenses.

I'll definitely be using his continuous lighting instead of my flash to avoid reflections. I want to capture the depth and sparkle of the stone.

Last edited by 3quarterI; 01-02-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
AlexD330

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
Use the faster lens. F2.8. Lots of bokeh and you're good. Just have it setup on the black velvet viewing board they are usually on. Maybe the setting is in the box in the background a little more out of focus. Just a thought. Experiment. Take lots of shots. I would recommend another lens personally like a 35mm or 50mm prime with f stops around 1.8 or 1.4. They are pretty cheap (for Nikon at least). Good luck.
April Dub Mix Out NOW!
AlexD330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
Adamo99

My Ride: e39 530i, e93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexD330 View Post
Use the faster lens. F2.8. Lots of bokeh and you're good. Just have it setup on the black velvet viewing board they are usually on. Maybe the setting is in the box in the background a little more out of focus. Just a thought. Experiment. Take lots of shots. I would recommend another lens personally like a 35mm or 50mm prime with f stops around 1.8 or 1.4. They are pretty cheap (for Nikon at least). Good luck.
This is the worst advice possible. The speed of your lens is irrelevant. Buy a macro lens, and stop it down to get decent DOF, otherwise the entire stone will look OOF.

Read this for starters, then search YouTube for jewelry photography tutorials:
http://www.epicmind.com/blog/
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
AlexD330

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
Edited: that article shows he will need to quite extensive PP? OP how's your photoshop abilities?
April Dub Mix Out NOW!

Last edited by AlexD330; 01-02-2013 at 11:53 AM.
AlexD330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
TomTomTuning

My Ride: Black Sapphire ZHP
Although there are several talented photographers on here, I suggest this post would be better suited on a photography form.

I would assume a macro lens would work best for this, if it's close up product photography that you plan on doing.
I personally don't own a Macro lens but I do have a Canon 500D close up filter that works great and it was only $100 bucks (pre-owned).

The 70-200 has a pretty high minimal focal length but it will be better then your wide angle 17-40L.
Shoot the 5D3 at the full 22.3MP file size, zoom the 70-200 all the way, find your focus and then crop the images if you need to "enlarge" them.

Use a tripod to maximize stability, to ensure the sharpest photography. Especially if you stop the lens down to gain more focus of the object.

Your biggest obstacle will probably be reflections and finding out how to light the diamonds/jewelry.
Search online, there's ton's of great tutorials on how to photograph jewelry.

Maybe build (or buy) a light box as well...

Photos: Flickr & 500PX

Last edited by TomTomTuning; 01-02-2013 at 12:26 PM.
TomTomTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Nearly $10k worth of equipment and you're asking about aperture and focal length....

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
Gheybe

My Ride: Fiat Abart, F80 M3
Here is what you're gonna do.

Buy:

1ft x 1ft piece of clear glass sheet.
1ft x 1ft piece of black paper.
30 x 40 inch piece of white presentation paper

Set up:

Put the black piece of paper on the desk, and the sheet of glass perfectly on top of it.
At the edge away from you, place the piece of construction paper in a cylinder type set up so that it goes around the sheet of glass on the sides, like a half moon almost. Place the diamond in the middle of the piece of glass, and frame it properly, using a tripod of course.. To light the diamond and the ring, use a large diffusion panel, like another large piece of white paper, and fire the flash you have through the paper. You'll get nice even lighting on the diamond.

You're welcome.
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #10
hqt7979

My Ride: 03 e46 m3
Man put that shiet on auto take the pic if you still have trouble, I'm sure if you send it to any of your e46 fan brothers. I'm sure well make it right. Lol
hqt7979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #11
3quarterI

thanks for all your help guys. i'll definitely be doing the glass shot that gheybe mentioned. if it turns out decent i'll post some of the pics when i schedule the shoot.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Nearly $10k worth of equipment and you're asking about aperture and focal length....
^ This...
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #13
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled
Gheybe
The glass placed under the diamond... is that to reflect some of the light back up?

[bimmerapp]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #14
Gottalovethexi

My Ride: 03 xi & 72 Bav
Send a message via AIM to Gottalovethexi
Quote:
Old 01-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #15
Gheybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
Gheybe
The glass placed under the diamond... is that to reflect some of the light back up?

[bimmerapp]
No. The black sheet of paper and incidence angle do not allow for light to reflect up into the diamond. The glass is for reflection of the light from the background.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #16
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled
where do you position the lights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #17
Breezy

My Ride: LSB M3, saab 900s
Quote:
OP read up on the basics of photography (aperture, shutter speed, focal lengths, ISO)
Old 01-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #18
Gheybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
where do you position the lights?
PM me.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:05 AM   #19
triton3k

My Ride: 2007 Acura TL Type-S
Send a message via AIM to triton3k Send a message via Yahoo to triton3k
A macro lens and 2 speedlites would be great for this setup. Gheybe gave great info as well.
Product photography isnt aways easy but with lighting it helps tremendously if you know how to control light.
triton3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:45 AM   #20
mkodama

lol, some suggestions are quite interesting

I would aim for getting all the minute details that are hard to see by the naked eye and from afar.

Fill as much of the frame up as possible with the diamond and rely on cropping the photo as little as possible. A diamond is really small, so a dedicated macro lens might be required. I think the closest shot I tried to do without a macro lens was a drop of condensation on the side of a soda can and that barely worked with a normal lens.

Look into high intensity concentrated point lighting, ex. something like the sun. The higher intensity and the more concentrated the light source, the better the internal reflections and colors would be in the diamond because of the prismatic properties of it. This is how you'll get the "sparkles" that a lot of people like to see. This is also why jewelry counters normally have small bright 12 volt halogen lamps instead of fluorescents, not to mention fluorescents usually make things dull and green because of their unbalanced light spectrum.

A dark room and a softer lighting source is very good at getting exterior reflection of the subject which is fun as well. I've turned out the lights and set things up for a long and underexposed shot, and used my cell phone to selectively light the subject.

Definitely a tripod and a remote trigger to avoid any shaking which will blur the picture. Also essential if your jeweler's office isn't very well lit and you don't want to use a flash.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote