E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quitting Cable?

I searched for a thread on this topic and (strangely) didn't find one.

We currently have U-Verse TV + internet (options are that, or Charter) and the bill is ridiculous every month.

Here's what I'm thinking as far as "quitting cable":

Maintain either Charter or U-verse internet ($40/mo)
Purchase Amazon Fire Box for the main TV and Fire Stick for upstairs TV.
Purchase digital local receiver from Amazon for the main TV
Sling subscription ($40/mo)
Amazon Prime (already a member)
Netflix (share w/ brother-in-law)

So...we'd be cutting our nearly $200/mo U-Verse bill down to roughly $80/mo.

The Fire Box is $50 with a Sling subscription and we already have the Fire Stick. The digital local receiver is around $30. So...$80 one time fee.

Am I missing anything? Or is there a better method that others have used?

Present
2011 BMW 335d - die kohle rollen
Past
2011 BMW 135i, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

1-22-2015 2-45-09 PM
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:02 AM   #2
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Make sure to check here for what over the air signals you can reasonably expect to get.
http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/dtvmaps/

Also consider recording capability when choosing what equipment you're looking at.

Last edited by Wraisil; 04-22-2015 at 11:03 AM.
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:04 AM   #3
stevenluczynski

My Ride: Is Steel Blue<3
Im just down to 60$ per month for internet, and an apple tv. Share Netflix/hulu plus with some people.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:05 AM   #4
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Also, are you planning on a bunch of extra channels with Sling? I thought the base cost was $20/month?
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:06 AM   #5
bagher

My Ride: Neocon outrage
Send a message via AIM to bagher Send a message via Skype™ to bagher
once live sports are figured out, cable will be long gone
What I find most comical is the irony of Bagher's gif. The "fart" serves as a perfect microcosm of his contributions to this forum... bunch of obnoxious air from a blowhard who contributes zero value and just clutters the discourse. Congrats on being a pest.
bagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:08 AM   #6
evolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraisil View Post
Also, are you planning on a bunch of extra channels with Sling? I thought the base cost was $20/month?
Base $20 + hbo $15 + news $5

Thanks for the fcc link above, as well.

Present
Past
2011 BMW 135i, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

1-22-2015 2-45-09 PM
Old 04-22-2015, 11:13 AM   #7
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Good setup.
Honestly, I'd say drop the Sling subscription too, but it just depends how much content you really watch. Once you start cutting, you'll be surprised by how little you actually use and what you do / do not miss.

The only point I'm confused on is "digital local receiver." Are you talking about the digital tuning box, digital antenna, or something else entirely?

I have a pretty similar setup to the one you are proposing:
-OTA HD Digital antenna - connects to coax splitter which runs to the family room and theater room
-HomeWorx digital tuner box (has Coax in / HDMI out) which allows me to connect to my receiver.
-FireTV in the theater room where I stream Netflix, PrimeTV (never use it), etc. Load XBMC on this and your possibilities are endless
-HockeyStreams subscription for all streaming hockey content across 5 leagues ($100 / calendar year)
-Netflix
-Chromecast for family room (stream netflix, youtube, etc.)

I'm pretty happy with it. The only real gap in cord cutting is if you watch a lot of sports, but Sling might address this.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:14 AM   #8
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Haven't had cable for about 3 years now. Use Netflix, Hulu Plus, and HD antenna for everything. Whatever I miss, I can procure from somewhere on the internet. Total monthly cost is ~$20 plus internet. Sports I can go to a bar to watch if I really want to.

I use a Google Chromecast.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:17 AM   #9
fayraree

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
I subscribe to HBO ($15/mo) and Netflix ($7/mo) only. Get my news on e46 OT. Granted, I know more about police issues and guns more than anything else, but you have to make compromises.

Last edited by fayraree; 04-22-2015 at 11:17 AM.
fayraree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:18 AM   #10
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Pretty good setup, the only thing that setup is missing is your local Fox Sports and college sports.

I cut the cord a while ago using Roku, Netflix(a must even w/ cable) Sling, OTA and Chromecast. I used Chromemcast to stream Fox Sports and BTN to to my receiver, worked decent enough.

Look into Comcast for internet, the majority of their internet packages include HBO2GO. Additionally with Comcast, a lot of their bundled packages are like $40 for internet and basic cable which is cheaper than their stand alone internet.

Last edited by Green_Shine; 04-22-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Green_Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:20 AM   #11
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Internet, all my TVs are smart TVs, but I also have a couple Apple TVs. Netflix and Amazon. Fk cable TV. Unless you watch a lot of sports you won't miss it.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:21 AM   #12
evolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
Good setup.
Honestly, I'd say drop the Sling subscription too, but it just depends how much content you really watch. Once you start cutting, you'll be surprised by how little you actually use and what you do / do not miss.

The only point I'm confused on is "digital local receiver." Are you talking about the digital tuning box, digital antenna, or something else entirely?
I meant the digital antenna to catch the OTA local channels....KDHX, KMOV, etc. Poor wording on my part, lol.

Do you run an outdoor antenna, or just an indoor one mounted on a wall/window?

Sling is attractive mainly because of HBO, travel channel and the additional news stations. It's month-to-month, as well, so if we really don't use it much it's easily done away with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
Pretty good setup, the only thing that setup is missing is your local Fox Sports and college sports.

I cut the cord a while ago using Roku, Netflix(a must even w/ cable) Sling, OTA and Chromecast. I used Chromemcast to stream Fox Sports and BTN to to my receiver, worked decent enough.
I really only watch the Cardinals on TV and most of them are on local stations. Most soccer matches that I'd care to watch I would just head to a local soccer bar to catch the game.

Present
Past

1-22-2015 2-45-09 PM

Last edited by evolved; 04-22-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:23 AM   #13
SamDoe1

^ Get the Leaf indoor antenna, works great and is easily hidden.

You can stream HBO via chromecast and avoid the sling fee entirely.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:27 AM   #14
SLVR JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
I meant the digital antenna to catch the OTA local channels....KDHX, KMOV, etc. Poor wording on my part, lol.

Do you run an outdoor antenna, or just an indoor one mounted on a wall/window?

Sling is attractive mainly because of HBO, travel channel and the additional news stations. It's month-to-month, as well, so if we really don't use it much it's easily done away with.

I really only watch the Cardinals on TV and most of them are on local stations. Most soccer matches that I'd care to watch I would just head to a local soccer bar to catch the game.
I highly recommend an outdoor antenna or one that is mounted in your attic. The wall, window, and tabletop antennas just haven't cut it for me personally.

I ended up putting mine in the rafters of my garage so that it is up high and still protected indoors. I had a roof mounted antenna at my old house. Both signals have been excellent and a DIY job. If you want to have someone do it, there is a local company by the name of A1 Antenna who will do it for ~$250 or so.

** Removed **
Old 04-22-2015, 11:31 AM   #15
Vinnie Vega

My Ride: 0032870Vette70Velle
I've been cable free for 8-9 months. I use my xbox 360 and piggy back off of my parents cable to log in to the apps offered through xbox. A ton of channels have there own apps now, and you can watch stuff soon after it comes out on cable. I also have HBO go this way. Of course I use netflix, hulu plus, amazon, and crackle. I heavily use popcorn time, and kodi for new movies / TV shows, and have a site for live sports / ppv's. (don't always end up getting HD though) NBC sports has an app on line , as well as foxsportsgo.com, all you need to do is find a friend/ family member that still has cable, and trusts you with there log on info, and you are good to go.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:35 AM   #16
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
I use the leaf antennae for game days when i have guests and basically stream or pirate all my shows..

when i did have cable with DVR features for 2 rooms and just basic cable stuff, all I did was record formula 1... and ..ghost hunters...and some anthony bourdain..

I used to pay like 140, but now i just pay 45$ for pretty fast internet. (40 ****** down)

Make sure to get an amplified one type with the usb power dongle liked pictured above. I got mine from 1day sale(takes forever to ship) when it was 19 bucks now theyre selling for 60

edit: oh I dont use it becasue I just torrent it, but you can stream it too and I have tried and its pretty legit

https://popcorntime.io/

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=980753&

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=905280&

"So I'm drifting away like a feather in air, letting my soul take me away from the hurt and despair.
So I'm, keepin' it vertical forever elevator, riding the escalator to something that is greater.."

Official E46 OT Podcast

Last edited by MachRc; 04-22-2015 at 11:37 AM.
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:42 AM   #17
SLVR JDM

OP - I'd also add that Charter is going to have faster speeds than Uverse for the money. Their lowest speed right now is $100 mb/s. That plus charter phone is $72 / month for me and I'm not on a promo, but I'm thinking internet is $30 on promo. The only reason I have the phone is that I work from home and use it a ton.

If you're making changes anyway, it might be worth the consideration. I have had Uverse before as well and had a good experience, but if you're primarily going to stream, more speed won't hurt.

** Removed **
Old 04-22-2015, 12:20 PM   #18
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2011 E93 335is DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagher View Post
once live sports are figured out, cable will be long gone
^This. Live sports comprises 50% of what I watch on TV. Yes, I could go to a bar but any cable savings would be offset by more expensive beer and food.
Cabrio330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:03 PM   #19
SamDoe1

If it's on broadcast TV, it's free.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:25 PM   #20
Bartacus

My Ride: 2002 320i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
^This. Live sports comprises 50% of what I watch on TV. Yes, I could go to a bar but any cable savings would be offset by more expensive beer and food.
Not to mention you lose the capability of getting smashed in your own home.
Bartacus is offline   Reply With Quote