E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM   #1
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Harvard fighting the good fight against microaggression

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/20...pend-purchase/
Quote:
Following student group complaints and internal discussions, Harvard University Dining Services has decided to suspend purchases of appliances from a company involved in an international settlement dispute.

Until last April, HUDS had been purchasing water machines from a company recently acquired by SodaStream, an Israeli company that specializes in do-it-yourself soda and water machines. Sodastream’s main factory is located on the West Bank, a settlement at the heart of conflicts between Israel and Palestine regarding land ownership in the area. The company, which announced in October that it will move its factory to southern Israel, has drawn criticism and boycotts for its location in disputed territory.

Last fall, some members of the College Palestine Solidarity Committee and the Harvard Islamic Society noticed that the filtered water machines in certain dining halls had Sodastream labels on them. Citing discomfort with the machines and the potential of the machines to offend those affected by the Israel-Palestine conflict, the students emailed House masters and tutors to arrange a meeting with University officials to have the machines removed.

Rachel J. Sandalow-Ash ’15, a member of the Harvard College Progressive Jewish Alliance who attended some of the subsequent meetings, said that she believed that regardless of the University’s position, the machines and their association with the disputed territory could be offensive to Palestinian students.

“I think it is neither anti-Israel nor anti-Semite to take stand against the occupation,” she said. “These machines can be seen as a microaggression to Palestinian students and their families and like the University doesn’t care about Palestinian human rights.” She added that her views should not be construed as the official club stance on the issue.

Members of the PSC, representatives from HUDS, Lowell House Masters Diana L. Eck and Dorothy A. Austin, Mather House Co-Master Michael Rosengarten, and Dean of Student Life Stephen Lassonde convened to discuss the students’ complaints at a meeting on April 7 in Lowell House, according to a memo from the meeting shared with The Crimson.

Sandalow-Ash, who was present at the meeting, said that the discussion focused on the potential effects of the machines on the student body. While many students pushed for the removal of the machines, she said that at least one participant at the meeting argued that this move could be perceived as a University stance against Israel.

Following the discussions, HUDS agreed to remove SodaStream labels on current machines and purchase machines from other companies such as American firms EverPure and Crysalli in the future, according to HUDS spokesperson Crista Martin.

Tez M. Clark '17, a member of the PSC, praised Harvard's choice to suspend purchases from SodaStream in an emailed statement.

"I hope that Harvard’s effort to hear the concerns of Palestinian students and make make a meaningful change in response to these concerns will inspire further support for and discussion on Palestinian rights, both on this campus and around the world," wrote Clark, who is also a Crimson editorial editor.

Sandalow-Ash said that though some of the protesting students had hoped for a formal statement from HUDS on the issue, they were satisfied by the ultimate outcome.

“HUDS was receptive,” she said.
This is the place that is allegedly churning out our future leaders?

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM   #2
RossGuy

My Ride: FBM
What a bunch of pvssies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Shut up and drink your snow from your plastic cup you hungry homeless homosexual.
RossGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM   #3
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
"microaggression"?
Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM   #4
Bartacus

My Ride: 2002 320i Sedan
This is what George Carlin described as "the continued pussification of America". Losers.
Bartacus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM   #5
choxor

My Ride: JDM
I'm sure afterwards they patted each other on the back and said "We made a difference."
Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM   #6
Brucifer325

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
http://www.thecrimson.com/article/20...pend-purchase/

This is the place that is allegedly churning out our future leaders?
Well, we got z00 and that speaks volumes.

Or do you mean 'Harvard Harvard', not the discount one?

"Love Us with Money, or We'll Hate you with Hammers!" - Milk & Cheese

BMWCCA# 147961

Last edited by Brucifer325; Yesterday at 10:13 AM.
Brucifer325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM   #7
badfast

My Ride: A Car
http://www.thecrimson.com/article/20...rber-response/

An action taken by a small radical minority without permission. Time for you to move on to the next crackpot issue.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM   #8
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Provost doesn't sound too happy.
Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM   #9
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post

An action taken by a small radical minority without permission. Time for you to move on to the next crackpot issue.
it's been a decision since last spring, it isn't like they just decided and now they're going to think about it. It has already been decided, actions have been taken.

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM   #10
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
it's been a decision since last spring, it isn't like they just decided and now they're going to think about it. It has already been decided, actions have been taken.
it sounds like the procurement decision was made with political motivations and without school administration approval, now that the school administration knows about it, they can make a decision.

That's what I read, anyway.
Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM   #11
Carskibum

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
full retar....
Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM   #12
Serega91

My Ride: 00' 323i Manual
Read "harvard" and "microagression", and thought this is going to be a z00 thread
Serega91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM   #13
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post

I knew it was only a matter of a few down scrolls before you popped up.
Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM   #14
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
idgaf.

Campuses do stuff like this all the time. Stanford shut the sprinklers off because the student body complained about the waste of water in a state with such a drought. Now the campus looks like relative ass. Sometimes giving people what they want is the best way to teach them a lesson.

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

Last edited by Grande D; Yesterday at 12:10 PM.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM   #15
BoogetyBoogety

My Ride: 2010 SL550
I sense a lot of microaggression in this thread

Harvard grads would do well to remember that, sometimes, when someone complains about something "micro" in the greater scheme of the universe, the best response is to just boldly say, "go f[ind] yourself," and not overly-obsess about hurting overly-sensitive people's feelings.

In other words, escalate to real aggression...
BoogetyBoogety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM   #16
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2005 330cic ZHP
I took Aggression in college. Aggression 101 was micro, Aggression 102 was macro. Ask a Micro/Macroagression expert anything...
Cabrio330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM   #17
NOVAbimmer

Is this a microoutrage thread?
Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM   #18
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
I took Aggression in college. Aggression 101 was micro, Aggression 102 was macro. Ask a Micro/Macroagression expert anything...
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM   #19
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Is this a microoutrage thread?
You characterizing a thread pointing out idiots as outrage is an act of mifroaggression

Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM   #20
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
I'm micro-offended. I'm going to microsue you for $3.50. See you in microcourt with my nanolawyer.

Last edited by Zell; Yesterday at 12:44 PM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote