E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2016, 11:50 PM   #1
bimmerfan08

My Ride: F
Baghdad bombing kills at least 125; ISIS claims responsibility

Quote:
A suicide truck bomb ripped through a busy shopping district in Baghdad over the weekend, killing more than 100 in what was the deadliest single attack in the war-weary country in years.

The brazen Saturday night attack in the heart of the packed Karrada neighborhood killed at least 125 people, including 25 children and 20 women.

Families had been gathering hours after they broke the fast for the holy Muslim month of Ramadan and prepared for Eid al-Fitr -- the day that marks the end of the holiday this week.

As people congregated, shopped and watched soccer matches, the bomb-laden truck plowed into a building housing a coffee shop, stores and a gym. Firefighters rescued wounded and trapped people in adjacent buildings.

ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack. It was the latest in a string of assaults during Ramadan, a period of fasting and prayer for Muslims and also a time when jihadists launch operations against those they regard as their enemies.

At least 147 people were wounded.

ISIS promised an uptick in terror attacks during Ramadan. The Baghdad assault came just days after massacres at a cafe in Dhaka, Bangladesh, the Ataturk International Airport in Istanbul, Turkey, and security targets in Yemen. There have also been recent suicide attacks in Jordan at a border crossing near Syria, and suicide attacks in a Christian area of northern Lebanon.

Last month, a gunman shot up a nightclub in Orlando, Florida, killing 49 people before he was killed, and an attacker killed a police commander and his partner in France.

ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attacks in Bangladesh and Yemen and there are news reports that ISIS claimed responsibility for the Jordanian attack. Experts believe the group might have conducted the attacks in Turkey and Lebanon.

Omar Mateen, the killer in Orlando, and the attacker in France both pledged allegiance to ISIS.

A second bomb exploded Sunday at an outdoor market in the Shaab neighborhood of southeastern Baghdad, killing one person and wounding five others, police said.

Both Baghdad strikes are a sign of the Sunni-Shiite tension in the Muslim world. Sunni-dominated ISIS claimed it was targeting Shiite neighborhoods. Karrada and Shaab are predominately Shiite.

"These acts of mass murder are yet another example of Daesh's contempt for human life," said State Department spokesman John Kirby, using another term for ISIS. "From Baghdad to Istanbul, Brussels, Dhaka, and Paris, Daesh terrorists murder the innocent to attract attention and recruits. They will not succeed."

Kirby was also making reference to the attacks last November in Paris that killed 130 people and the attacks in Brussels that left more than 30 dead.

Witness: 'I lost several friends'

In Karrada, college student Sadeq al Zawini, 25, was watching as rescue workers pulled bodies from the rubble.

"We've had it with the Iraqi government and politicians. They can't continue blaming Daesh and other terrorist groups. We need a solution," he said. "I lost several friends myself, some are still missing," he said, sobbing.

The anger of residents manifested itself when Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi and other officials attempted to survey the bomb damage.

Amateur videos posted on social media showed residents throwing objects at a convoy carrying al-Abadi in Karrada. The videos showed protesters yelling "thief!" and "get out!"

In a statement, al-Abadi said he understands the reaction in "that moment of grief" by the residents who threw objects at his convoy.

He said he came to Karrada to console families and "share their sorrow in this painful tragedy that happened." He said ISIS tried to hijack the joy that Iraqis felt over recent victories against ISIS in Falluja.

Recent surge

As for Baghdad, it has witnessed a surge in the number of car bomb attacks in recent weeks, with ISIS claiming responsibility for many of them.

One of the worst incidents occurred in Baghdad's Sadr City neighborhood May 17, when a car packed with explosives detonated, killing at least 24 people and wounding 71, according to security officials.

That was followed by two more explosions in the Shaab neighborhood that killed at least 19 people and wounded another 44. A female suicide bomber may have been responsible for one of the blasts, the Iraqi Interior Ministry said.
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/02/mi...mbs/index.html
"In any system with finite resources and infinite expansion of population—like your business, or like all of humanity—innovation is essential for not only success but also survival. The innovators are our leaders. You cannot separate the two. Whether it is by thought, technology or organization, innovation is our only hope to solve our challenges."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:05 AM   #2
Zell

My Ride: so turbo wow
America will cover this for like 1.2 days and then go back to Florida

Last edited by Zell; 07-04-2016 at 12:05 AM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:15 AM   #3
-Ross-
OEM ///Member

My Ride: Jeep JK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1467627302780.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	635997  
-Ross- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:02 AM   #4
Zell

My Ride: so turbo wow
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ross- View Post
Old 07-04-2016, 11:39 AM   #5
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
JV Team
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:14 PM   #6
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ross- View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post

MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:21 AM   #7
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Baghdad bombing kills at least 125; ISIS claims responsibility

Body count over 250 now?

I told one of my former Iraqi translators that his country is in a state of total war. Every military aged male should be armed at all times protecting his home, street and town.

Instead of shopping.

May the victims rest in peace.

BMW Wiki: http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php

E46Fanatics inspiration Robolop: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...87566&page=101

2016 Beheadings in Saudi Arabia: 82

Last edited by swordsman11868; 07-09-2016 at 01:21 AM.
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:52 AM   #8
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Jv

Herbert Camacho '16

"Every age has its peculiar folly: Some scheme, project, or fantasy into which it plunges, spurred on by the love of gain, the necessity of excitement, or the force of imitation." - Charles Mackay Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds (1841)
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote