E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
badfast

My Ride: A Car
We're like a strip club with a million bouncers and no strippers!

The new season of Real Time started last night. The focus was how we have been losing other rights, but people are all up in arms over perceived attacks on the 2nd amendment. Obviously everyone here has been exposed to much of the nonsense and ignorance constantly being perpetrated. Just yesterday Nt_loader made this comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nt_loader
Sorry but I'm going to continue to post these little articles and videos all over the internet. I will stop when the attack on the 2nd amendment stops, deal?
Where is the outrage over attacks on the other violations of civil rights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
You see, the Redcoats — they never wanted your gun. They wanted your liberty. And that's why the Founding Fathers said you could have the gun, dumbass! And now the only right we have left is the guns, and left nothing left to use the guns to protect! We're like a strip club with a million bouncers and no strippers!
Bill's video can be seen here:
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/bill-mahe...er-rights-are/

The transcript can be found here: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/0...wd-is-missing#

As I a side note, none these sites are sites that I don't necessary agree with.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
He definitely has a point, but the ownership of the gun is also symbolic of liberty. As Ben Franklin said, and oft repeated, they who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
"Perceived"?
Old 01-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
NOVAbimmer

New York just effectively banned most semi-automatic guns. How is that not an actual and real attack on the second amendment?
Old 01-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
badfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
New York just effectively banned most semi-automatic guns. How is that not an actual and real attack on the second amendment?
State's rights. I am sure there can be a topic of discussion about State's rights, federal rights, and the constitution. But that is all you have to say on the topic? **** the other rights?
Old 01-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
badfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
He definitely has a point, but the ownership of the gun is also symbolic of liberty. As Ben Franklin said, and oft repeated, they who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
What point is having the gun if your liberty has already been violated? You will speak out against abridgment of the 2nd amendment. But could care less about unrestrained access to your privacy? I am sure an argument could be laid that liberty has been given up for temporary safety--i.e.: warrantless wiretaps, seizures, etc.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #7
NOVAbimmer

I haven't heard any legislators talking about shackling the first or third through 27th lately.

The NRA gets demonized. The giant lobbies in congress for the first amendment get lauded as important defenders of freedom.

Legislators get praised for talking out of both sides of their mouths when dealing with the 2nd. How many times have you heard the phrase "I support the second amendment, but..."

Substitute any other number and the search hits drop off considerably.

Defense of all rights is vitally important to the existence of our nation, and I will defend each and every one of them. The one taking the most fire right now, however, happens to be number two.

When a prominent legislator stands up and says "I support the First Amendment, but are we doing enough to protect kids from naughty speech?" I'll speak out against that too.

If we lose the second, talk is all we'll be able to do to defend the rest of them. B
Old 01-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
What point is having the gun if your liberty has already been violated? You will speak out against abridgment of the 2nd amendment. But could care less about unrestrained access to your privacy? I am sure an argument could be laid that liberty has been given up for temporary safety--i.e.: warrantless wiretaps, seizures, etc.
Yup, the Patriot Act is reprehensible as well.

But as a full-fledged member of the Internet, most privacy you thought you had is already gone. In the spirit of transparency and openness and information sharing.

Thank things like the FOIA, and institutions like the New York government that will happily make your personal information public when a newspaper asks for a list of gun owners and their addresses in order to make a public list.

Yeah, most of us talking about the second amendment being trampled we're pretty pissed off about that one too.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #9
badfast

Quote:
I haven't heard any legislators talking about shackling the first or third through 27th lately.

The NRA gets demonized. The giant lobbies in congress for the first amendment get lauded as important defenders of freedom.

Legislators get praised for talking out of both sides of their mouths when dealing with the 2nd. How many times have you heard the phrase "I support the second amendment, but..."

Substitute any other number and the search hits drop off considerably.

Defense of all rights is vitally important to the existence of our nation, and I will defend each and every one of them. The one taking the most fire right now, however, happens to be number two.

When a prominent legislator stands up and says "I support the First Amendment, but are we doing enough to protect kids from naughty speech?" I'll speak out against that too.

If we lose the second, talk is all we'll be able to do to defend the rest of them. B
http://www.aclu.org/national-securit...ss-wiretapping

I didn't hear much resistance against this.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
NOVAbimmer

First I've ever heard about it. Why didn't you bring this one up for debate before it was passed?

You would have gotten a lot of support against it.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #11
badfast

Quote:
First I've ever heard about it. Why didn't you bring this one up for debate before it was passed?

You would have gotten a lot of support against it.
To be honest, it is the first I have heard of it. Stuff like this gets unnoticed because of all the noise produced elsewhere (i.e.: Obama is stealing our guns). That was the point of Bill's statement.

Last edited by badfast; 01-19-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #12
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
I'm against that as well, obv

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #13
NOVAbimmer

Maybe if Bill wants to be the champion if rights he's trying to sell himself as, he needs to proactively talk about these things, rather than say "Look at all these things I know about that nobody said anything about!"

Each and every right is important, and every time legislature like this slips through, it's a bad thing. That doesn't mean that just because one didn't get talked about, that none of them should be talked about. Kind of hard to prevent it from getting passed when its already passed.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #14
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Blame the government for passing these things in secret and/or the media for refusing to air the story (if they knew about it.) I didn't know about it as well, and am obviously against it, but none of us are in Washington....how can we protest things that are hidden from us?
Old 01-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #15
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
There was voice against this when it came up in 2008.
I know I called my house member and senators. House member voted against it, Feinstein voted against it, Boxer did not vote on it at all (She is a spineless twit. Can't stand that woman.)
So for all of you folks who are outraged about this bill and love to b!tch about "liberal california", pound sand.

Also, items like this are one of the reasons I support, with voice and $$$, the ACLU.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #16
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
There was voice against this when it came up in 2008.
I know I called my house member and senators. House member voted against it, Feinstein voted against it, Boxer did not vote on it at all (She is a spineless twit. Can't stand that woman.)
So for all of you folks who are outraged about this bill and love to b!tch about "liberal california", pound sand.

Also, items like this are one of the reasons I support, with voice and $$$, the ACLU.
For every one thing California does right, they do 100 a$$ backwards. Enjoy your bankrupt state.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #17
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Not to sound like a jerk, but why do you think gun owners don't care about other things?

Did you remember the stink that was made about the ability to imprison US citizens? Then add to it the ability to arrest and detain for protesting? I hate both of these, and was outspoken on both issues. Busa, Lair, CINL and many of the other usual suspects all said "nothing to worry about, nothing to see here". I am against the executive orders, and this all out demonization of the 2nd amendment and gun owners by the ignorant bleeding vagina left. Save the children, save the children!!!!

If you listened to anything anyone said regarding these issues, you would see we are more than just guns and ammo over here.

Bill Maher can suck a fat c0ck. Maybe if he used his power to promote and talk about issues that are obviously affecting others, he could make a difference, instead he complains, blames the right, smokes a bowl and makes a funny joke no one remembers the next day. If he was so passionate about the topics he felt we needed to stand up and fight, he could use his show to be a voice.

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #18
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
For every one thing California does right, they do 100 a$$ backwards. Enjoy your bankrupt state.
I do, every day. Beats the hell out of New York.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #19
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
I do, every day. Beats the hell out of New York.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #20
Lair

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput View Post
Lair said "nothing to worry about, nothing to see here".
That's a fvcking lie.

I tried to tell you idiot republicans what you were in store for when you bent over and let BushCo slide the Patriot Act dick up your asses, but you were too busy sucking Cheney's balls and waving the flag to listen.

So keep sucking.

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote