E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
Question Add auto Leveling headlights?

I tried searching and I posted in the lighting forum but nobody wrote so here goes it:

I want to know what I would need to add the auto-level option in my car. I am looking at picking up a set of OEM projectors. I know there are sensors that connect to the control arms and when I replaced the CA's I remember there being a threaded hole on them so they would just bolt in. But is it a specific headlight that has the function built in or can I retrofit OEM auto leveling into an non-auto leveling OEM projector headlight? <---

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
willsbma is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
Icemanleo

My Ride: 2004 325I
I recall seeing a post for the job... lots of work, rewiring and beers.

I did the change without the auto leveling and I'm happy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App
Icemanleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
I've got a feeling you'll need a new LCM that supports it. Or at least some sort of coding option.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
willsbma

I guess I'll just stick with the regular ones if it's a huge task.

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
Old 01-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #5
BWOODM3

My Ride: 2002 M3 convertible
I thought about doing this as well. I searched for it and didn't find anything on it.
BWOODM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
I did the retrofit for the challenge and had fun with it but for what it is worth it is not that worth it.

This is why we didn't retrofit the auto level on the 325i. We did the xenon and flashed it to accept HID.

The weird thing is that the 323i required a new lcm but the 325i didn't. It gave me an "enable auto leveling" feature on progman.

sent from my HTC EVO+ using Bimmer App
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
willsbma

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashmeow View Post
I did the retrofit for the challenge and had fun with it but for what it is worth it is not that worth it.

This is why we didn't retrofit the auto level on the 325i. We did the xenon and flashed it to accept HID.

The weird thing is that the 323i required a new lcm but the 325i didn't. It gave me an "enable auto leveling" feature on progman.

sent from my HTC EVO+ using Bimmer App
I wonder if it had anything to do with production date?

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

Old 01-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by willsbma View Post
I wonder if it had anything to do with production date?

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
I am fairly sure it does. The E46 was technologically updated periodically throughout its production.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
aahmed2016

My Ride: 2003 330i ZSP/CP/PP
^Most likely it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Spends $2000 on car DVD + stereo -> Running 25000 mile oil changes and 87 gas with blown shocks
aahmed2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #10
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Even a newish 325i would definitely need a new LCM. Even if you coded the existing one for a auto leveling, it is missing the stepper motor controller required for the leveling to work
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote