E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
Snoopy140

My Ride: 325Xi
Heat is Too Hot!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am having trouble with the temp control in my 2002 325xi.

Let's say I go to start my car and its cold outside. I set my heater in side to 72 degrees on the floor vents only. What happens is when the car warms up the heater vents on the floor blow very very hot air all the time like the temp was set at 91 degrees and will run you out of the car. In fact you can turn the temp down to 65 degrees and it's still as hot as if it was set on 91. The only time it gradually becomes cooler is if you set it all the way to 59 degrees then it's cool air. If you set it on 60 then its slightly in between but if you bump it up to 61 or 62 its all the way hot again like its set on 91. I think this guy was having the same problem but I never could find what the fix is.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...t=temp+setting

Thanks for any help. I'm going crazy sweating all the time
Snoopy140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Could be your heater control valve aka Water Valve.

Symptoms would be hot air blowing out of the vents, regardless of setting w/ exception of AC, which seems to override in my experience.

Not exactly what you have described, but figured I would mention it.

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:37 AM   #3
itscoo2pyopants

My Ride: E53 4.8is
Send a message via AIM to itscoo2pyopants
have you checked these? sometimes when its set to red it it will blow hot air no matter what. try setting it to the middle setting.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
Do you have it set to "Automatic" Control? it should warm up to around the temperature you have it set for and then maintain that temperature. Definitely a bit colder there in Ohio then in SE PA, but should still regulate itself when a temperature is set. Have you but a thermometer in the car to see just what the temperature is that is blowing out? Are you positive that your cooling system is full with a 50/50 mix? Does it take a long period of time for the engine to warm up to operating temperature before this happens? Are you throwing any codes? A bad thermostat will throw codes and/or set off the Service Engine Soon Light, a sticking open thermostat will warm up slower and will have a too rich fuel setting (and lower fuel mileage) and a sticking closed thermostat will overheat and have a leaner fuel setting. I never use the "Automatic" setting, and actually run my A/C all year long and adjust the temperature for the weather conditions outside. There are several pluses to doing this; always keeps the refrigerate and lubricating oil circulating in the A/C system keeping seals soft (longer times between refills) and it removes moisture from the cabin air continuously (note, when ever you turn the windshield defroster on, the A/C runs). Your water control valve could be acting up, not closing off and hanging wide open so as not to regulate the amount of coolant passing through.
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Snoopy140

My Ride: 325Xi
Thanks guys. I do not anticipate anything wrong with the thermostat. No codes are tripped and no slow heating or overheating are happening to the engine. I also have the dial on the panel vents on 3 blue dots. Any other ideas?
Snoopy140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #6
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Final stage resistor? That affects the fan control speed...not sure about the temperature though. You might have a faulty AC control unit, know any friends with an E46 you can swap their AC control with to diagnose?
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
o3BMW325xi

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325xi ZSP
not very familir with the bmw hvac system, but it sounds like a blend door problem (if there is one on the bmw). Its probably stuck and not operating properly. Check into that, had the same issue on my other car a few yrs back, where the blend door (the gate that goes between cold and hot) was stock open on the hot side, so no matter what i did it was always blowing hot air. Final solution replaced the motor that moves the blend door.
o3BMW325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
325xittt

My Ride: 2003, 325 XIT
I have the same problem and a theory. Is it possible that the supply and return heater hoses are switched at the heater valve in the engine bay. My car also blows very hot air all the time. I may have switched the hoses by accident when I moved them out of the way doing a starter replacement. Maybe someone knows if this could cause these symptoms.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #9
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325xittt View Post
I have the same problem and a theory. Is it possible that the supply and return heater hoses are switched at the heater valve in the engine bay. My car also blows very hot air all the time. I may have switched the hoses by accident when I moved them out of the way doing a starter replacement. Maybe someone knows if this could cause these symptoms.
Not sure, but its either the Water Valve, or the blend control in the dash. Water valve, being the easier of the two replace.

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Bimmer App

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote