E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #21
///M Powerd

My Ride: 2003.5 M3 Coupe
I tried to pull on an Accord once...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24169768.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	486928  
///M Powerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #22
fatskidmark

My Ride: E46 M3
Thank all of you for keeping the "dumbest thread ever" alive! Like I said before, I was try'n to help him out. Did I poke fun at his comparison, yeah, maybe a little, but my intetions were pure. It sounds like he just doesn't think his car is fast. That's it. Case closed...Now go do some burnouts in the street!!
fatskidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:13 AM   #23
7to3_enthusiast

My Ride: '04 LSB 6spd M3
NO...feels nothing like a Honda Accord....

Your friend probably just expected something faster from a 8k revving 3.2 inline 6...tell him to find a track, take both cars out and drive them as hard as he can and report back how similar they feel. If they still feel similar to him, tell him to sell that M3 and keep a Honda.

04 LSB M3
6sp, BSW stage 1, 19" Forgestar, PSS's, MXP exhaust, K&n intake, h&r springs, koni shocks.
87 rx7 tII 6266 BB .84 a/r in the works
00 Saturn sc2, DD, 36+ mpg
7to3_enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #24
rickybobby

My Ride: 2005 m3 alpine/imola
I feel the ///M driving experience is much more similar to the Kia Rio
rickybobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #25
ChrisRedmon

My Ride: 2002 PY ///M3
Comparing my (or any) M to an Accord at any RPM in any gear is like a kick in my dick.

I don't care if the Accord is made of crushed up unicorn horns, you ****ign offended me.

But to answer you, no. 3rd gear pulls hard. Errytime.
2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL CF Trunk l GTR CF Hood l CSL CF Diffuser l Status Gruppe

ChrisRedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #26
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickybobby View Post
I feel the ///M driving experience is much more similar to the Kia Rio
you sure not a geo metro?

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #27
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmutm3 View Post
Yes. I am also experiencing the same issue as the friend you are trying to help. My M3 also feels like an Accord very often As far as I know its a common issue. Tell him not to worry.
Uh. No. An M3 feeling like a Honda Accord is not a common issue.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #28
scca_ziptie

My Ride: 2006 M3 SMG Comp pkg
Certainly no comparison - have a 2011 V6 Accord and the two feel nothing alike (in any category especially the engine dept). If he is having an issue in 3rd gear, I'd have a shop look at the car. Is it a manual or SMG car?
Old 01-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #29
kiwami

My Ride: 04 ///M3 SMG
Well I own 2 Hondas: a 94 civic & a 99 acura cl which is basically an accord coupé and a 04 M3 SMG.
the civic is faster than the M3 but it's heavily modified for road racing or fun track days it's Rotrex, but even if the Hondas are reliable & cheap to maintain. There is no way a stock accord can compare with a stock E46 M3 in any way shape or form. The engineering on the m3 chassis alone is superrior. Honda does makes amazing engines but they have not manufactured a K-series engine with six pistons yet. When they do then you could say power & torque wise they will out perform the s54 but that day won't come.

So tell your friend no.
An m3 is more vehicle than an accord parked, cruising & specially in the turns.

Last edited by kiwami; 01-21-2013 at 05:09 PM.
kiwami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #30
helmutm3

My Ride: 04 m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
Uh. No. An M3 feeling like a Honda Accord is not a common issue.
Hehehe. Caught one.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #31
///Dario3

My Ride: 2002 M3 E46
#yolo
///Dario3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #32
fatskidmark

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwami View Post
Well I own 2 Hondas: a 94 civic & a 99 acura cl which is basically an accord coupé and a 04 M3 SMG.
the civic is faster than the M3 but it's heavily modified for road racing or fun track days it's Rotrex, but even if the Hondas are reliable & cheap to maintain. There is no way a stock accord can compare with a stock E46 M3 in any way shape or form. The engineering on the m3 chassis alone is superrior. Honda does makes amazing engines but they have not manufactured a K-series engine with six pistons yet. When they do then you could say power & torque wise they will out perform the s54 but that day won't come.

So tell your friend no.
An m3 is more vehicle than an accord parked, cruising & specially in the turns.
Nice! What do you have done to this beast and do you have pics?
fatskidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #33
kiwami

My Ride: 04 ///M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatskidmark View Post
Nice! What do you have done to this beast and do you have pics?
I'm posting from my phone I'll edit punctuation or whatever weird word the auto correction came up with later. It's hard to write long paragraph on a phone.

What haven't I done to it!. It is my Lego lol.
Plan is to make the M3 faster than it but maybe next year I'll start that rotrex project on the M3.

I can tune and work with aluminum metal so it's got a K-series 2.4 litter engine with a maxed out rotrex c38-71 plus boost by gear to help with traction on the lower gears since it is a FWD.

Every thing has been done by me or my friend which is a master tech. so i use civic as a learning toy.
But last time I put it on a scale it weighted 2150lbs so weight may have gone up with the supercharger, intercoller plus pipes & 6 piston calipers the wheels with toyo R888 tires to clear them. Maybe an extra 100lbs idk.

of the top of my head here is a list:

K24a4 stock but on vtec killer mode with type-s cams with the vtc "vanos" mechanically limited to 25°
type-s oil pump to allow it to rev to 8100rmp
tsx 6 speed gears
wavetrac LSD
competion twin disc clutch for 1000hp
K-pro ecu
ID 1000cc injectors
an -8 fuel lines
walbro 255hp in tank fuel pump + bosch 044 in line fuel pump
asp 2.4L big tube header with 3" magaphone collector
3" exhaust
3" intercooler pipes
13 row bar & plate intercooler
70mm throttle body
RBC intake manifold port matched to throttle body
synapse bov & wastegate. yes i said wastegate.
mac solenoid for the ecu to control the wastegate.
rotrex c38-71 with pulleys maxed out for 8100rpm about 14 to 15 psi
custom 3row radiator for 750hp
custom engine mounts a90 bushings
custom amr coilovers valved for up to 950 lbs springs but now running 550lbs F & 650 lbs R
ITR rear 21mm sway bar.
rear sub frame brace.
traction bar.
Bennen try pod shock tower brace.
15x8 wheels on toyo r888
wilwood 6 piston calipers with 21mm spacers to clear the wheels
two piece 11.78" rotors with aluminum hats
HP hawk black brake pads
quiet exhaust
no interior, no A/C, no heater core, no carpet pretty much gutted. track car status but still road legal.
soon i'll fabricate the roll cage.

I haven't dyno it jet & I'm still street tuning it. so far only on 10psi with boost cut when it reaches 10psi for safety because the factory map sensor only reads accurate up to 10psi & it's reaching 10psi at 6,200rpm but this setup combination makes around 290wtq & around 450whp at 14psi. so this on a chassis about 1,200lbs lighter than my M3 the butt dyno notices right away.
I decided not to keep on tuning cause I'm using a bone stock engine for experiment & even the k-series is an amazing engine that can handle 600+ whp stock for drag. the stress it goes road racing is way more. so I decided to either replace the rods on it for peace of mind. Or take my other mild built all motor K24 and lower the compression to handle the 14psi on 93 pump gas or E85.

When it was on the N/A 2.4L making at the dyno 274whp & 202wtq it was a blast to drive imagine now even with a red line of 6200rpm & 10psi. I may order the 3bar map sensor and dyno it just to see the final numbers, but track it after the rods are replaced.

But it's annoying to drive on traffic because of the twin disc clutch. How I wish it was SMG equipped :-)

I'll take a picture next to the M3 later on this week.

all I've learned over the years will be applied to the M3 sooner than later.

Last edited by kiwami; 01-23-2013 at 03:01 PM. Reason: spells + mod list.
kiwami is offline   Reply With Quote