E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2014, 03:02 PM   #1
Delineation

My Ride: Japan Rot 05 325i
Need confirmation on Cooling System part

I thought it was a leak from my Return Hose, but upon further investigation I believe the Coolant is leaking from Water Connection Pipe (PN# 17111707817) from the Expansion Tank, and/or the O-ring (PN#17111711987). -Any tips, and has my trouble shooting been correct? I've attached an image for you to see what I've got here. I've already got a 1 Ltr container of BMW Coolant to top it off when needed until I receive the correct part.
Thanks!

P.S. I know where all the other dry coolant in the image came from. I spilled a bit a little while ago. I'm assuming the dried coolant on the Return Hose is from the leak mentioned above. The wet spot is the one in question.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1300.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	576776  

Last edited by Delineation; 10-09-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Delineation is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Looks like the o-rings on the expansion tank could be tweaked, yeah. but you've got stains from higher points as well. No investigation is needed though. If it's old or original, replace it.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:08 PM   #3
Delineation

Thanks for the immediate response Mr. Mango!
Old 10-09-2014, 03:26 PM   #4
SeattleLSB

My Ride: 2003 330XI
Just replace all 4 of those hoses. They are really cheap if your go CRP (Contitech) BMA parts has for them for $17.00 a piece. I just replaced those and all of the hard lines on the block this weekend.

Joe

2007 TiAG/BLK 335I Sedan/6SP/Sport/Premium/Cold Weather - Sold

2003 AW/BLK 330XI/AT/Sport/Premium/Cold Weather
SeattleLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:19 PM   #5
Delineation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleLSB View Post
Just replace all 4 of those hoses. They are really cheap if your go CRP (Contitech) BMA parts has for them for $17.00 a piece. I just replaced those and all of the hard lines on the block this weekend.

Joe
Thanks. I like to go BMW when I can, or OEM. I usually use ECS because of how close I am. I get my order on Wednesday when I place it on Sundays. I've never ordered from BMA before so I'm not sure how long UPS ground will take to get to me. I used to have to wait a while when I used AutohausAZ. I suppose what I don't save on price point, I more than make up with on time. $17 isn't bad at all!
Old 10-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #6
Delineation

So I'm about to dig in to this scenario, most likely on Wednesday, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what's what based on the realoem diagram.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=17&fg=05&hl=5
I went to BMW yesterday, and scooped up an O-ring. (PN#17111711987), but It doesn't look like it goes where my leak is coming from according to the diagram. Do I need to order the Coolant connection fitting as well (PN#17111707817)?
It would seem that's where the leak is dripping from. It's difficult to get a better image to show you guys because I keep getting dripped on. The leak is not coming from the hose at the bottom of the image, which I believe to be the return hose. (PN#11531436410)http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...15&hg=17&fg=30 I'm also not even sure how difficult this will be. The only work I've done to the coolant system, as far as plumbing goes, is the thermostat.

Last edited by Delineation; 10-18-2014 at 02:49 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-19-2014, 08:25 PM   #7
Delineation

Well, Parts won't ship until the day before I leave town. So I'll have to update the progress after the 27th. What a bummer. I hope that my ride isn't empty on the coolant by the time I return. It's slowly getting worse. I figure I should put a bit more than I know I should since it's only going to drip out. (maybe even just add some distilled H2o.) I'll be gone for 3+ days. Also considering putting a catch pan underneath, but I don't want any neighborhood animals getting sick on my account. I ordered more BMW coolant, and a BMW ET thermostat in case the one in the ET decides it want to break upon ET removal. (I'm assuming I'll have to remove the ET to get to the O-ring I need to replace.)
Till then, folks.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:39 PM   #8
Delineation

Wednesday I got around to removing my ET, and having a look at the leak in question. The O-ring I had got, was nowhere near anything that I needed even after using realoem. In fact, there was no O-ring at all. I inspected the opening of the ET where the Coolant Connection Fitting inserts (which is where I believe the leak to be coming from), and detected no fractures, or cracks of any kind. I also examined the Coolant Connection Fitting, and also found nothing out of sorts. I also replaced the ET Thermostat. I think that because my Radiator Support is slightly bent, that at some point the ET was jarred a bit, and the leak occurred at that point. After putting all of it back together, and having filled, and bled the system, I did not see the leak return from the area in the above image which was a steady drip. I waited several minutes, and ran the engine as well. No leak. If I see any fluid under the car when I leave work today, I will know if I've fixed the issue.

Last edited by Delineation; 10-30-2014 at 12:39 PM.