E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #61
rudycoop

My Ride: 3 pedal 330i
I had this exact same issue. It drove me completely nuts. The PO had the software updated and it didn't resolve the issue. Car would drive fine if I wanted it too, but I could "encourage" it with no problem to get the stutter to start. Hills were always an easy way to make it happen. Funny thing is it would do it a lot and it would never throw a code. I rebuilt the VANOS and that didn't fix it. I found it to be a bad coil. Lucky me I guess. Took me almost 3 months, but now it never ever barks at me.
rudycoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #62
straight_beamin

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323i
Had same problem wot. Coil pack was bad
Old 02-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #63
PainBreak

My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000e46bmw323i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudycoop
I had this exact same issue. It drove me completely nuts. The PO had the software updated and it didn't resolve the issue. Car would drive fine if I wanted it too, but I could "encourage" it with no problem to get the stutter to start. Hills were always an easy way to make it happen. Funny thing is it would do it a lot and it would never throw a code. I rebuilt the VANOS and that didn't fix it. I found it to be a bad coil. Lucky me I guess. Took me almost 3 months, but now it never ever barks at me.
Now we're getting somewhere...

My only issue with this is...if it were misfiring, why doesn't it trigger a misfire code? It does, most definitely, act as if it's misfiring, though.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #64
rudycoop

My Ride: 3 pedal 330i
Mine felt as a misfire as well. I went through everything. Cleaned my MAF a few times, found a cracked rubber nipple on the back of the intake, but it still did it here and there. I have a 5 speed so if I put it in 4th or 5th going slow it would always do it. I also couldn't understand why it never threw a code when it bucked so much sometimes. You definitely should check around and make everything is as it's supposed to be, but if coils are original I would consider looking into them.

Last edited by rudycoop; 02-25-2013 at 07:37 PM.
rudycoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #65
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000e46bmw323i View Post
All of them?
Old 02-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #66
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by PainBreak View Post
Now we're getting somewhere...

My only issue with this is...if it were misfiring, why doesn't it trigger a misfire code? It does, most definitely, act as if it's misfiring, though.
Notice both of those guys have pre MS45 cars...
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:41 PM   #67
PainBreak

My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Notice both of those guys have pre MS45 cars...
Very observant... I'm not fully up to speed yet with the differences between years.

Obviously, this whole thing makes me extremely curious. Say a software update does resolve the issue... I can't help but wonder what the difference is in the software, what "fixes" were actually made, and why it's necessary. I have new O2 sensors now, and it didn't change a bit, so...a completely wild theory...maybe the cat is wearing out, and creating odd post-cat O2 stats, freaking out the DME?

So, here's a question. What's the MAF sensor readout at idle, and say, 2500 RPMs, for a known good MAF on a perfectly-running E46 with MS45? Now that OBD2 monitoring is so cheap and easy, it would be great to have baselines for these sorts of things.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:25 AM   #68
straight_beamin

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
All of them?
Nope it was cylinder 6 only
Old 02-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #69
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
can someone point me to the proper obd cable i should get for updating... looking to be under $30..

dealer wants $120 and i can't find anyone locally to do this for me. id rather get another cable and learn to do it myself.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #70
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Any reason you guys are unwilling to do the flash yourselves? If setting up the software is the issue, get the kit from bmtechnic -- they made it pretty foolproof. With WinKFP, you can do the update in your garage in less than an hour.
Something about "bricking" my DME has made me lean toward paying someone else to do it. I can run the PA Soft, it doesn't scare me, bc it's not changing the registries of the computer, so to speak.

By the time I invest in the connector kit, and a stable power supply to keep my battery charged, I'm probably out the $85 a local indy quoted me. If I brick the DME in the process, I'm out what, $800 - $1,000?

I'm still open to being talked into it though. Give me some resources to learn more about the process. bmtechnic is closed until 2/28. I may give that a try.

bmtechnic lists computer requirements including "Dual Core Processor running at least 1.6Ghz". Is a dual core processor necessary? I have a single core processor running at 2.2Ghz, is that sufficient?

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Last edited by wildirish317; 02-26-2013 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Added a question
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #71
wildirish317

This is why I'm hesitating to DIY:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...&postcount=543

Terra, you might want to help this poor fella out.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
Old 02-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #72
SpoiledBrat

My Ride: 330Ci zhp
There was a bulletin post about this problem and was fixed buy a DME software update. Fix it for me at least!
SpoiledBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #73
glhx

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
Joining this club. Dealer wants $260 for software update. Looking at other DIY options
glhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #74
pawelgawel

thats insane!!! its $105+ tax at my local BMW dealer. shop around or plan to visit another dealer in a different area if you're planning a trip.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #75
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PainBreak View Post
Did you get your DME flashed yet?
No im waiting on my parts guy to set a time and date to bring it in. Im in there every week so he and I have a good rapport and hes gonna hook me up. We'll see

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
willsbma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #76
glhx

The transmission is another $200....and he says its risky. It might fry the dme

3 dealers in Tennessee wanted the same prices.

Last edited by glhx; 03-02-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #77
pawelgawel

^ seriously, if they want to charge you $450 for full update, that is the biggest scam they have going on... no way would anyone in their right mind charge something like this.

You shouldn't pay more then one hour labour for this job.

Id consider contacting BMWNA and speaking to someone who can justify that price.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #78
wildirish317

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelgawel View Post
Id consider contacting BMWNA and speaking to someone who can justify that price.
While your at it, ask about the $17 ofhg and $15 power steering cap o-ring prices my local dealer charges. There doesn't seem to be any consistency in pricing among dealers. For parts, that may be a good thing (there are some very aggressive dealers selling parts on the web). For service, maybe not (you can't mail your car to a dealer for service; well, you could, but you wouldn't).

Old 03-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #79
glhx

BMW or Orlando charged $70 for windshield wipers. Everyone else gets $50. I had to go to two dealers because they were sold out. They could probably get $80 down there. And now......back to the 2800 rpm shudder
Old 03-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #80
pawelgawel

I thought of purchasing the cable and diy this, but the time ill spend setting this up will not be economical for me. My appointment is tomorrow. Hopefully the tech knows what to do.

Should I ask him for the specific Euro2 tune? 2004 330... which update should I clerify with the tech?