E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
cinredman

My Ride: 330CI sonora Metalli
Decisions, decisions

quick background
Owned 2005 e46 vert with businessCD, SOS (bluetooth) and 6-disc (MP3 compatible) changer in the trunk. As I was already able to pair iPhone via the included Bluetooth module, I followed basic instructions and built my very own DIY AUX cable for music (thank you e46Fanatics!).

Everything worked like a champ However, I had always wished my wheels had BMW's built-in navigation (MKIV)

22 months later - accident no personal injury , but wheels TOTALLED

3 months later, proud owner of a 2004 330CI vert with HK Stereo and MKIV, 6-disc changer (non-MP3) However, the new set of wheels does not have SOS, so no bluetooth module.

I successfully updated MKIV to v32 this past week, but have an old 2002 MAPs disc

Have unsuccessfully tried to burn updated MAPS DVD with zero luck. Dealer charges $199 for the 2013 disc kit. And, I've read that using self-burned copies (read all those threads too) will eventually damage the DVD player. Likewise, I find this current radio reception to be lacking; nothing close to what I had with the businessCD unit (had HK too).

Note: I've been using google maps, WAZE, Iphone maps (not responsible for accident ) since iPhone 3 days. Once this technology was in my hand, I couldn't really felt a disc based nav was obsolete. Of course, that was until I found myself in a few "dead spots" and realized that the benefit of disc based nav was that you only need satellite visibility. It is rather hard to loose ALL satellite visibility...

Which brings me to my first dilemma; throwing $200 into just MAPs and still being without phone integration and Bluetooth stereo (a2dp) functionality.

I have looked at the Dynavin units, but at $800 a pop..yikes. If I'm going to drop that kind of CASH into a system, then I would think a tablet type solution makes a ton more sense, so I'm following a few "tablet integration" threads too, but fail to reach critical mass on moving in any direction.

Why the ? Cause I'm :bang head: trying to determine the best strategy to move forward.

So, I would appreciate additional thoughts, suggestions, links to information and the occasional "SAC" (smart ars comment) :-)
cinredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
cinredman

My Ride: 330CI sonora Metalli
A bit of MAP Disc progress made today. I found a 2010 "High" version to test and it worked just fine. So, now I realize my system requires the "high" version - yea!
cinredman is offline   Reply With Quote