E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #21
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
^
Actually.. you made it look better.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #22
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
Heat gun + bottle of compressed air turned upside down. The propellant freezes, and the rapid temperature change can pull them out sometimes. Otherwise PDR.
This method might work for minor dings.

This dent looks to be almost the size of a baseball. Add to that the complication that is is along the bend from the horizontal surface by the hood to the vertical surface of the fender, and is quite deep.

Unless the OP would be happy with the results of an amateur fix (one that could end up looking worse than it is now), taking to someone who actually knows what they are doing is the way to go.

Expectations matter, too. PDR is like magic with small dents. On larger dents, however, the results often leave slight traces. These are easier to see on darker finishes. This is OK for many people, because it looks far better than the original dent. But the repair is not "perfect".
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #23
metal massager

My Ride: frankenbi///Mmer
Assuming "this method" applies to pdr (since the other "method" is ridiculous), its like anything else, you have highly skilled and meticulous artists and you have people who just do what it takes to make a buck. While the larger dents are not always "perfect" as you state, high 90% repairs can regularly be achieved if the time is spent. Very few body shops do "perfect" repairs either and I can usually spot a repaint without having to look very hard. (I spend my life with my eyes 6" away from the paint....haha) take the e92 below, it would have been over $2000 to repair at a shop that would do a good repair ( detrimming the whole side of the car, pulling the back glass, blending the door, etc, etc. The rental car bill for the 7-10 days it would be in the shop would have been more than the $450 I charged. Overall, I would say it was easily 95-98% in about 4-5 hours.

Yes!!! It does go down all the way to the bumper!!!

Since most cars these days are only kept for a few years 90% is perfectly acceptable to the vast majority of people. It's very important to find out customers expectations and let them know what to expect before any work is performed. My favorite customer is someone who owns a black car and describes themselves as "anal"...I know they will look closely and when they say they can't see anything, I know I've done my job.
Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1358906522653.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	487303   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1358906739087.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	487304   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1358906792404.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	487305  

Last edited by metal massager; 01-22-2013 at 09:58 PM.
metal massager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #24
Justinz

My Ride: 03 AW 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmanre View Post
Anyone have any idea on how to get this out? It's killing me. I swear someone punched my car or something ):
Maybe using a big suction cup and pull it out. It may still look bad doing this though. I think it pulls the center out more.
Justinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #25
awesomechinz

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
Last time I tried knocking a dent out it didn't go too well. Trouble is knowing when to stop!!!
I think you missed a spot

brown magic
awesomechinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #26
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
I have 3 of those too, but on the rear quarter panel. They're 3 smaller ones though that seem to have been made by the guy doing my suspension trying to get leverage to pull the rear springs out.

Mine are above my gas cap, above the body line that goes to the front side marker light. If you look at my sig, it looks like a ball of light like the sun, but it's actually one of the bigger ones catching light. Would that be hard to fix? Seems like it's in a bad spot.
I have a very good PDR guy if you ever come down my way. He can at least make it better.

Also I couldn't resist

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #27
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal massager View Post
... its like anything else, you have highly skilled and meticulous artists and you have people who just do what it takes to make a buck. While the larger dents are not always "perfect" as you state, high 90% repairs can regularly be achieved if the time is spent.
[...]
Since most cars these days are only kept for a few years 90% is perfectly acceptable to the vast majority of people. It's very important to find out customers expectations and let them know what to expect before any work is performed.
I think we are agreeing here. I've seen a number of PDRs. Many were just clearly-better-than-before the PDR, which is "good enough" for most people. Some were quite good (pass the 10' test). In fact, I'd say that a very good PDR fix generally looks better than a mediocre traditional repair.

PDR is great after a bad hail storm, before returning a lease, or trading in or reselling. It is also ideal for an older car that is too nice to let stay ugly, but may not be quite nice enough to justify $2000 (or more) for cosmetics.

PDR does cost much less than body work. And, like body work, skill plays a very large part in the results. As you noted, setting expectations is key. What many people know of PDR makes it seem like magic...and they expect magical results.
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote