E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
BB BMW

My Ride: 04 330ci ZHP
Revenue Problem or Spending Problem

With the national debt around $16.4+ trillion ----

Do you think we are not collecting enough taxes

or

Is the spending out of control.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
BB BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
Act of God

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
obvious answer is obvious

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Both. It's not an either/or type of question.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 01-21-2013 at 11:26 AM.
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Cut first until we can no longer cut without it doing harm and then collect taxes to make up difference. It's called being responsible and sustainable.
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Cut first until we can no longer cut without it doing harm and then collect taxes to make up difference. It's called being responsible and sustainable.
Dis.
Although what is viewed as necessary would be the subject of intense politics and debate.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
BB BMW

My Ride: 04 330ci ZHP
Taxes were just raised on everyone who pays into SS and
those making $400k or $250k depending on the tax.

Now the debt ceiling needs to be raised again with no talk of spending cuts.

Finally the Pres and Senate are considering proposing a budget. The only reason is to look into how more revenue can be raised. Yes ... another tax increase somewhere. BUT - still no spending cuts.

So...as long as we continue to find more ways to raise taxes

the SPENDING WILL CONTINUE with absolutly NO CUTS.

Happy New Year.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
BB BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
I think in certain instances, it's both.

For example, fighting two wars (OIF & OEF) we essentially put it on a credit card and borrowed money from overseas. In previous wars, taxes were raised to pay for the war effort. For example, in WW II, taxes were raised, as well as campaigning to buy government war bonds.
MDydinanM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
We need to raise taxes AND stop spending.

But the real problem here isn't the numbers.. it's the mentality. We can't continue to spread this notion that the rich should pay for everything while simultaneously expanding both the number of entitlements AND the number of entitled. Those currently on welfare are currently reproducing at 400-600% the rate of those in the top tenth of earners.

If the bottom continues to grow exponentially, they will have to learn to fend for themselves or our debt will skyrocket.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post

But the real problem here isn't the numbers.. it's the mentality. We can't continue to spread this notion that the rich should pay for everything while simultaneously expanding both the number of entitlements AND the number of entitled. Those currently on welfare are currently reproducing at 400-600% the rate of those in the top tenth of earners.

If the bottom continues to grow exponentially, they will have to learn to fend for themselves or our debt will skyrocket.
I agree with raising taxes and curbing spending. I also agree that taxing the rich more, in it of itself, isn't going to solve our debt issues. Certainly the "1%", a minority in this country, can't absolve this nation of its deficit.
MDydinanM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
I agree with raising taxes and curbing spending. I also agree that taxing the rich more, in it of itself, isn't going to solve our debt issues. Certainly the "1%", a minority in this country, can't absolve this nation of its deficit.

everyone should watch this.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #11
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:

everyone should watch this.
didn't watch
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #12
bimmerfan08

Quote:

Ben Franklin says it best...

“I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
Old 01-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #13
Act of God

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:

“I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”
aka give a man a fish v. teach a man to fish

Franklin is dead on here, I find it sad that so many just don't seem to get it.

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #14
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB BMW View Post
Taxes were just raised on everyone who pays into SS and
those making $400k or $250k depending on the tax.

Now the debt ceiling needs to be raised again with no talk of spending cuts.

Finally the Pres and Senate are considering proposing a budget. The only reason is to look into how more revenue can be raised. Yes ... another tax increase somewhere. BUT - still no spending cuts.

So...as long as we continue to find more ways to raise taxes

the SPENDING WILL CONTINUE with absolutly NO CUTS.

Happy New Year.
Tax receipts as a percentage of GDP are well below the historical average for the past 60ish years. The SS tax break was meant to be temporary, so you can complain that it's a sinister tax increase, but it was a return a level that was normal during the prior years.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #15
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
We need to increase entailment programs, increase government spending and increase taxes on those who make more than the medium household income. Really folks, you didn't build your own success and paying heavily back into a system that got you your success is the right thing to do. We need to bridge that gap with more bridge cards and food stamps.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #16
badfast

Quote:

Ahh 1766 such a simple time in history.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #17
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Ahh 1766 such a simple time in history.
That's my mentality too and it's 2013. I can't help someone if they don't help themselves first. I don't know how you feel but personal responsibility is personal responsibility and everyone has the potential to work and contribute unless they are handicapped or unable to legitimately work. I praise the single mom who gets up every morning to provide a better life for her children while going to work raking in minimum wage. She gets more respect from me than the freeloaders and these out of touch with reality politicians.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #18
badfast

Quote:
That's my mentality too and it's 2013. I can't help someone if they don't help themselves first. I don't know how you feel but personal responsibility is personal responsibility and everyone has the potential to work and contribute unless they are handicapped or unable to legitimately work. I praise the single mom who gets up every morning to provide a better life for her children while going to work raking in minimum wage. She gets more respect from me than the freeloaders and these out of touch with reality politicians.
Does she still get the same praise and respect when you realize she is likely on food stamps or other government subsidies?
Old 01-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #19
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
It's obviously more of a spending problem. And the main problem is the party in charge doesn't want to curb spending because money money money. Both parties are more than happy to make the other look like the bad guy instead of actually managing the spending problem. It's easy enough to make it look like they are doing everything they can to cut back til it hurts but those guys make unreasonable compromises.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #20
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Does she still get the same praise and respect when you realize she is likely on food stamps or other government subsidies?
For the ones that avoid subsidies yes but in certain circumstances I can agree with it. My mother was a single mom for the longest time and worked very hard not to rely on the government. It can be done. However I am a firm believer that everybody controls their own destiny and can change their situations with enough hard work and dedication. What you make of yourself is your business and your own doing and shouldn't be at the expense of others.

Inb4 I get slandered for sounding like a Chasist.