E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
wangus

My Ride: 325ix
stuck....no start....any ideas?

stuck in the Advance Auto parking lot...argh!

i have a 2003 325ix auto and have been getting slow cranks all week...like the battery was going bad. the battery was only 9 months old so i took it to the Advance Auto store and had them test it...they claimed it was good but when i showed them how the car cranks, it cranked for about 4 seconds progressivly slower and wouldnt start...and just dwindled down to a click.

i talked them into replacing the battery...they installed a little 9v battery memory saver into the cig lighter and replaced the battery.

all went well...or so it seemed...until i went to crank the car and there was nothing.....no click, no crank...just all the dash lights and interior lights.

everything seems ok....key unlocks doors....windows go up and down...just no crank at all...nothing, nada, zilch

i checked the fuses in the glove box that pertained to the immobilizer and security...mostly 5 amp fuses...all looked fine

could the starter have caused the slow crank and finally just died right there?

could the key have gone bad? would it still crank?

please help me with the most obvious and easy things to check!!!

i have already been reading posts for like 4 hours and i am going batty!!

thanks all! Mike
wangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:49 AM   #2
schmism

My Ride: 330i
still sounds like a battery issue. did you try jumping the car? did you check the voltage on the bat with a DMM?
schmism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:13 AM   #3
Bimmekid91

My Ride: 2001 e46
The only way the key would bad would be if the theft light came on which I doubt, try hitting the starter see if it helps. If it starts replace. However even if it is the starter it might not work, if its done this a couple of times. If it was the battery nothing would work
Bimmekid91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:31 AM   #4
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
This is the first I've ever heard of someone plugging a 9V batt. into charger. I understand they wanted to save the car's memory, but the car remembers things fine. I've replaced my battery twice in this car, twice in the bmw before...never needed to do anything but change the battery.

It's not the key nor the starter. Frankly, to me, based on your symptoms, I'm thinking either the new battery is undercharged (don't trust just that it puts out 12V...could not have the amps)...but better...you have corrosion and/or a loose connection somewhere. Start under the +terminal under the hood...remove that nut and cable and look for corrosion...then check grounds...the black cable on battery (both ends)...make sure your terminal clamps are tight.

I just read a week or two ago here of a fuse that didn't seem like it would be associated with a no crank......forget which one, but it surprised me. Wish I could help point you to that, but check your fuses again well...use a good led flashlight (around 100 lumens is nice)...make sure your fuses are all good before going too crazy.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
wangus

Update... It was the starter... I agree that it sounded like a battery and or connections.

I checked all the easy things first... Cables, connections and fuses... All were good.

Checked voltage at battery and at b+ under hood...all was fine

Traced voltage down to starter and could feel the solenoid clicking but wouldnt engage or spin it up.

Installed a new Bosch starter today, took 5 hours...holy cow what a pain in the ass. Got it all from the top and didn't remove the intake either.... But jeez what a huge pita.

Thanks for everyone's ideas and suggestions....great forum!

Last edited by wangus; 04-19-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
Bimmekid91

My Ride: 2001 e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangus View Post
Update... It was the starter... I agree that it sounded like a battery and or connections.

I checked all the easy things first... Cables, connections and fuses... All were good.

Traced voltage down to starter and could feel the solenoid clicking but wouldnt engage or spin it up.

Installed a new Bosch starter today, took 5 hours...holy cow what a pain in the ass. Got it all from the top and didn't remove the intake either.... But jeez what a huge pita.

Yay I win
Bimmekid91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #7
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Quote:

When ever I see either a 2003 or 2004 xi and has a starting problem, I almost always say starter.

These damn starters die ALL the time on these 2003/2004 xi cars for some reason.

Your the man if you did the job from the top without pulling the intake, not sure you could do the job from the bottom without a lot of headaches either!!

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 04-20-2013 at 03:28 PM.
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #8
wangus

I sure hope that is the only time I get to replace that starter.... That's why I put a new Bosch in it...I do not want to do it again.

Considering I don't have a lift, getting it from the top was the only option for me.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
YOnpds

My Ride: E46
Good info Thanks. Did your car have symptoms like mine: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=988389
YOnpds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
Tweeks802

My Ride: 2004 325xi

Quote:
stuck in the Advance Auto parking lot...argh!

i have a 2003 325ix auto and have been getting slow cranks all week...like the battery was going bad. the battery was only 9 months old so i took it to the Advance Auto store and had them test it...they claimed it was good but when i showed them how the car cranks, it cranked for about 4 seconds progressivly slower and wouldnt start...and just dwindled down to a click.

i talked them into replacing the battery...they installed a little 9v battery memory saver into the cig lighter and replaced the battery.

all went well...or so it seemed...until i went to crank the car and there was nothing.....no click, no crank...just all the dash lights and interior lights.

everything seems ok....key unlocks doors....windows go up and down...just no crank at all...nothing, nada, zilch

i checked the fuses in the glove box that pertained to the immobilizer and security...mostly 5 amp fuses...all looked fine

could the starter have caused the slow crank and finally just died right there?

could the key have gone bad? would it still crank?

please help me with the most obvious and easy things to check!!!

i have already been reading posts for like 4 hours and i am going batty!!

thanks all! Mike
Same exact thing happened to me today! I think it's an original starter...time to change anyway.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Tweeks802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #11
wangus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeks802 View Post
Same exact thing happened to me today! I think it's an original starter...time to change anyway.

So sorry to hear that! Good luck!