E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
jsaklas

My Ride: Chrysler PT Cruiser
Front wheel speed sensor - HELP

I'm replacing the front wheel speed sensors on my Year 2000 323i, and having a terrible time of it. I removed the old sensors after much tugging and swearing, but the new ones don't seem to fit. They measure about 16mm across, as did the old ones, but short of using a sledge, there appears to be no way I can get the sensor through the whole in the bracket that holds the caliper. Am I missing something here? Does anyone have a "trick of the trade" that may help?
jsaklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Remove the caliper? I don't recall doing that on mine, OP, but usually removing more parts helps. This is the speed sensor...you're not confused and talking about the brake pad sensor by any chance, are you?

You have a realoem.com picture of what you're working with...or just a photo?

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
use sandpaper
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
use sandpaper
No a bad idea on the inside of the hole it goes into. I've never had a problem just sliding them right in. Sometimes its a tight fit but doesn't take much force.

Have a oil or coolant leak? Click here!:http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...732&highlight=
ABS/DSC/Brake/Airbag light on?? Click here!:http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...648&highlight=
330ciandr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
jsaklas

dmax,

It is the speed sensor - the reason the caliper is off is I'm rebuilding the whole brake system.

I wonder if the part I have is simply too large. I ordered them from OEM Bimmerparts and have never had a problem with the parts they carry. Tomorrow I will try some lithium grease (Is it OK to use lithium grease on the hole?), but I fear the worst. The car is in an unheated garage - should I consider heating the caliper bracket? would that enlarge the hole?

js
Old 01-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
MercForHire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ciandr6 View Post
No a bad idea on the inside of the hole it goes into. I've never had a problem just sliding them right in. Sometimes its a tight fit but doesn't take much force.
no, you sand the sensor instead.
Which is easier to sand? Metal or plastic
Old 01-22-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
330ciandr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
no, you sand the sensor instead.
Which is easier to sand? Metal or plastic
If you have to sand the sensor, you have the wrong part.

And who in the world would sand a brand new part they just bought to try to make it fit if it obviously doesn't?

I'm talking about sanding down any corrosion on the inside of the hole it slides into so it will fit properly, just like you have to do on the hubs when there is rust and the wheel is tough to get off.

Have a oil or coolant leak? Click here!:http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...732&highlight=
ABS/DSC/Brake/Airbag light on?? Click here!:http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...648&highlight=
Old 01-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
jsaklas

merc and 330,

Didn't mean to start an argument. I will check with OEM Bimmer Parts to ensure I have the right part. If so, I will start sanding the gunk in the hole and look for my bucket of lithium grease.

js
Old 01-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
jsaklas

Everyone,

Thanks for the help - I do indeed have the wrong part. Tomorrow I check with OEMBimmerparts and hopefully get an exchange.

js
Old 01-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
MercForHire

Could you let us know which sensor is for 323?
I thought all e46 share the same front wheel sensors
Old 01-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
330ciandr6

There are build date splits, as well as the coupe and sedan sensors being different. Depends on build date.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #12
jsaklas

330ciandr6,

Your correct. I have a BIG problem. I emailed Max at OEMBimmerparts to explain that I was sent the wrong sensors; he telephoned me to say he thinks I do have the correct sensors. According to my Bentley Manual which say that since my car has DSC I should need the one that requires a different left and right front sensor. However, Max said that according to BMW since my car was built in May 2000 rather than after Sep 2000, and although my car has DSC, it still uses the identical sensors, i.e. the ones that don't fit.
He further verified this by saying that if the original connector is grey, rather than the post Sep blue, then my car uses the ones I have.

So what the hell am I supposed to do? They simple do NOT fit. My admittedly cheap plastic caliper shows them to be about 0.015mm larger than the ones I removed. Perhaps ATE just made these too large. However, Max said that ATE makes these sensors for BMW as well. Another example of over-rated German engineering and efficiency.

Do you E46 fanatics have any other ideas?

js
Old 01-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #13
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaklas View Post
330ciandr6,

Your correct. I have a BIG problem. I emailed Max at OEMBimmerparts to explain that I was sent the wrong sensors; he telephoned me to say he thinks I do have the correct sensors. According to my Bentley Manual which say that since my car has DSC I should need the one that requires a different left and right front sensor. However, Max said that according to BMW since my car was built in May 2000 rather than after Sep 2000, and although my car has DSC, it still uses the identical sensors, i.e. the ones that don't fit.
He further verified this by saying that if the original connector is grey, rather than the post Sep blue, then my car uses the ones I have.

So what the hell am I supposed to do? They simple do NOT fit. My admittedly cheap plastic caliper shows them to be about 0.015mm larger than the ones I removed. Perhaps ATE just made these too large. However, Max said that ATE makes these sensors for BMW as well. Another example of over-rated German engineering and efficiency.

Do you E46 fanatics have any other ideas?

js
My idea is to take the sensor that came out down to the dealership and get another just like it, then send these back.

There are two wheel speed sensors. Look here,
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...07&hg=31&fg=10
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #14
enzo_the_baker

My Ride: 328Ci, 328iC, X3
Had the same problem on my 2000 328 coupe. The old sensor put up one hell of a fight coming out, and the diameter of the new one was just a hair too large to fit into the hole. I used fine grit sandpaper to slightly reduce the diameter of the sensor (it's only plastic), and after a few tries it slipped right in and has worked perfectly for the past several years.

Maybe the holes get slightly smaller (or go out of round) over the years due to corrosion and/or extreme and repeated temperature fluctuations, or maybe the manufacturing tolerances of the new sensors aren't what they should be. But (provided it's the correct part), sanding down a little of the sensor's plastic enclosure apparently has no effect on its function and solves the frustrating fit problem quite handily.

2000 328Ci Steptronic
Original Engine & Transmission
Original Transmission Fluid
15K Oil Changes
So there!

Last edited by enzo_the_baker; 01-29-2013 at 06:42 PM.
enzo_the_baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #15
jsaklas

Enzo and Merc had the solutionn

Sorry for the delay in replying. Enzo the baker and Mercforhire had the perfect solution. I simply sanded the damn things and with a little push they went right in.

Thanks Enzo and Merc