E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #101
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
I wont be as harsh as jeremy but come on man. You literally went down a head length. I'm not really blaming you though because we all pretty much grew up with these being legit pull ups. This is why I called bs on everyone talking about how many they can do. I'll film some tomorrow. I'll probably get 8 if I'm lucky.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #102
M3Inline6
I'm now boosting! Funnnn!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I wont be as harsh as jeremy but come on man. You literally went down a head length. I'm not really blaming you though because we all pretty much grew up with these being legit pull ups. This is why I called bs on everyone talking about how many they can do. I'll film some tomorrow. I'll probably get 8 if I'm lucky.
There was a "trainer" at my gym last night who performed pull-ups in the same manner as Chase, except he didn't have the excuse about the height of the bar (..it was the same one that I had to leap to reach in my video ). I just shook my head.

Another "trainer" wanted to jump in and dead lift with me about a month ago. I shook my head the moment I saw him set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionjack View Post
Dude, you are massively gay for Capoeira. Yes I know this has been well established for quite some time.
Quote:
While not big, I bet it's firm and can grind the sh1t out of a crank.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #103
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
There was a "trainer" at my gym last night who performed pull-ups in the same manner as Chase, except he didn't have the excuse about the height of the bar (..it was the same one that I had to leap to reach in my video ). I just shook my head.

Another "trainer" wanted to jump in and dead lift with me about a month ago. I shook my head the moment I saw him set up.
I tend to think I know a lot about this stuff and can't believe how wrong people can be when doing these things. I will probably have a stroke if I even walk into the local planet fitness again.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #104
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
Stop being so dramatic bro. You immediately go to "you're a hater" so I immediately go to "those suck" what's the difference?
Brother, I "go to" hater because there was not even an attempt at civil discourse or constructive criticism. If you wanted to provide your thoughts on the lack or ROM or feedback on form, by all means.. instead you just mocked.. and did so without providing your own video which I would have congratulated you on and certainly wouldn't have aimlessly hated on you. And note, your "those suck" started the downward spiral.. not the other way around
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushy View Post
lol strong pullups

not srs at all
And where is your video? It's far easier to criticize than to do.
Quote:
My chin-ups officially suck (..I pulled 16 body weight chin-ups after heavy squats, cleans and weighted chin-ups; 4 sets of 7 with 70 lbs. on a weight belt). I'm determined to grow these biceps, and these chin-ups are working well. I just suck at them.
For some reason, I've always found chin-ups easier. I guess it's because I'm proportionally better in my biceps than my back. I'll try and do a video of both over the weekend Regardless, you're killing man

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Back Up Camera for E46 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ckrDiAClGgM
Muffler Delete on E46 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofYhRq0T3eI
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #105
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Brother, I "go to" hater because there was not even an attempt at civil discourse or constructive criticism. If you wanted to provide your thoughts on the lack or ROM or feedback on form, by all means.. instead you just mocked.. and did so without providing your own video which I would have congratulated you on and certainly wouldn't have aimlessly hated on you. And note, your "those suck" started the downward spiral.. not the other way around

And where is your video? It's far easier to criticize than to do.

For some reason, I've always found chin-ups easier. I guess it's because I'm proportionally better in my biceps than my back. I'll try and do a video of both over the weekend Regardless, you're killing man
I find them easier too. Naturally, most people should.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #106
M3Inline6

Quote:
I find them easier too. Naturally, most people should.
That's only because people have weak backs. The bicep is a small muscle; naturally using the larger muscle group should result in an easier lift.

Quote:
Dude, you are massively gay for Capoeira. Yes I know this has been well established for quite some time.
Quote:
Old 01-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #107
DylloS

Quote:
That's only because people have weak backs. The bicep is a small muscle; naturally using the larger muscle group should result in an easier lift.
yea you're right. I can probably do like 13 chin ups and 7-8 pull ups
Old 01-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #108
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
deadlifts have almost made my pullup to chin ratio 1:1 at this point, I've always had overdeveloped biceps (bro lifting for first year)
Old 01-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #109
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
You're stronger than me in everything else except chin ups and pull ups. At least I have something to feel good about I think your weight is 10-15lbs more than mine.

Quote:
yea you're right. I can probably do like 13 chin ups and 7-8 pull ups
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #110
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
You're stronger than me in everything else except chin ups and pull ups. At least I have something to feel good about I think your weight is 10-15lbs more than mine.
i'm at 165 right now. Ideally I'd be 20lbs heavier. I need to get my sh1t together lol
Old 01-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #111
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
i'm at 165 right now. Ideally I'd be 20lbs heavier. I need to get my sh1t together lol
165? Eat more!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #112
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
165? Eat more!
lol no sh1t.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #113
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
What does crossing the legs do? ...
Don't know why a strict pullup means no crossing legs

I usually have to cross my legs and bend my knees (feet coming up behind me)
Otherwise I will hit the ground when I go all the way down when hanging on the pull up bar

[bimmerapp]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #114
dabears

i'm 6'0 but my gym has a very tall pullup bar, I usually cross my legs and bend my knees () but I'll give it a shot where I just cross my feet and stand up straight

for me I find crossing / bending knees helps me keep balanced
Old 01-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #115
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
Well here is my video today. It didn't go as planned, because my workout partner screwed up again as usual. I started off fresh with pull ups, did 13! A new high for me, and he was recording it.... Except no he wasn't cause when I was done he was like "sorry dude I accidentally just took a picture and didn't get any of that..." So I had to go and do the rest of the 300 workout and return to pull ups at the very end of the workout. Naturally, my form isn't as good as it was before the 300 workout, but I'm still satisfied. Got 10 as strict as my fatigued lats would allow me to be.

I wish he recorded my first go at this, it was much better, cause I realize my form started slacking towards the last 2-3ish.

5'10
155lbs

Last edited by bostonsc4; 01-25-2013 at 10:53 AM.
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #116
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
And everyone should post their pullup numbers and body weight
I wonder how much the body weight makes a difference... or should it not?

I weigh 190lbs
I can squeeze out 11 pull ups
I don't swing but my form deteriorates at the end so I don't know how many "strict" pullups i can do

[bimmerapp]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #117
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsc4 View Post
Well here is my video today. It didn't go as planned, because my workout partner screwed up again as usual. I started off fresh with pull ups, did 13! A new high for me, and he was recording it.... Except no he wasn't cause when I was done he was like "sorry dude I accidentally just took a picture and didn't get any of that..." So I had to go and do the rest of the 300 workout and return to pull ups at the very end of the workout. Naturally, my form isn't as good as it was before the 300 workout, but I'm still satisfied. Got 10 as strict as my fatigued lats would allow me to be.

I wish he recorded my first go at this, it was much better, cause I realize my form started slacking towards the last 2-3ish.

5'10
155lbs
That is very good form.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #118
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
Quote:
That is very good form.

I need you as my workout partner. I'm going to assassinate my current one. Shoulder and neck still hurt
Old 01-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #119
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
What does crossing the legs do? ...
Don't know why a strict pullup means no crossing legs

I usually have to cross my legs and bend my knees (feet coming up behind me)
Otherwise I will hit the ground when I go all the way down when hanging on the pull up bar

[bimmerapp]

Crossing legs is just what I personally do to remain straight and to engage my entire posterior chain. Nobody ever said that crossing the legs was a requirement of a strict pull-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
And everyone should post their pullup numbers and body weight
I wonder how much the body weight makes a difference... or should it not?

I weigh 190lbs
I can squeeze out 11 pull ups
I don't swing but my form deteriorates at the end so I don't know how many "strict" pullups i can do

[bimmerapp]

35 fresh.....22 after a workout (..in that particular video; I've done as many as 25).....182.5 lbs.

...and weight doesn't make a difference at all.

P.S. Great job boston!

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by M3Inline6; 01-25-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #120
dabears

Your weight to strength ratio would be the only thing that matters. For instance, someone with 150 lbs of lean muscle mass at 10% bodyfat would theoretically be able to do more pullups than someone with 150 lbs of muscle mass at 15% bodyfat, as their muscles are fighting gravity with less weight attached.