E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Can we talk sauces?

I'm always looking to make my meals more interesting and I've experimented with some sauces lately.

things like soy sauce, ginger, water, red pepper, and honey and letting it reduce and adding it to beef.

I'm looking for more things that I can add to my meals to make them moist and more flavorful. A lot of my meals are a meat, brown rice, and veggies.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
do you own a wok?

i love using mine. can throw anything in there cook it and add some sauce and dump it over rice. mmmmm mmmmm

i have fish, oyster, hoisin, teriaki, soy and usually add those with other ingredients to make sauce. things like ginger or garlic. sounds like you sort of do this already.

go to the international isle of your grocery store and there are tons more sauces. india and thai will give you lots of options. curries from both are good, but there are a ton.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
This is great for chicken, steak or shrimp.

-low sodium soy sauce
-ground, powdered ginger
-sesame seeds
-Sriracha

Add the 4 things together in whatever amounts you want. Add them to a bottle and shake the shite out of that bottle until they are all mixed up. This is good for a marinade, dip, or a sauce that goes over rice/veggies/meat.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Also, this one is good for fish and vegetables.

-white wine vinegar
-garlic
-salt & pepper
-lemon

Add the WWV and S&P to a bowl and set aside. Peel the garlic and smash it to smithereens. You basically want it to be a smooth paste by the time you are finished with it. I'll mince it with a big knife, and then use the flat side of the knife to repeatedly smush the minced pieces. Once you turn it into paste, add it to the WWV/S&P mix. Now, zest some of the lemon rind into the mix and add juice of half of it in there. Add some EVOO, if you want. This will be good on salads, or as a marinade to veggies and fish, or as just a sauce to put on top of those things.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
do you own a wok?

i love using mine. can throw anything in there cook it and add some sauce and dump it over rice. mmmmm mmmmm

i have fish, oyster, hoisin, teriaki, soy and usually add those with other ingredients to make sauce. things like ginger or garlic. sounds like you sort of do this already.

go to the international isle of your grocery store and there are tons more sauces. india and thai will give you lots of options. curries from both are good, but there are a ton.
I don't. I usually just use my largest pan which works well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
This is great for chicken, steak or shrimp.

-low sodium soy sauce
-ground, powdered ginger
-sesame seeds
-Sriracha

Add the 4 things together in whatever amounts you want. Add them to a bottle and shake the shite out of that bottle until they are all mixed up. This is good for a marinade, dip, or a sauce that goes over rice/veggies/meat.
thanks man
Old 01-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Coconut Curry Sauce I usually put on chicken and rice. I made a thread with the whole recipe awhile back:

2 big tablespoons of curry (I use yellow or yellow+red)
2 bay leaves crushed up
A few dashes of cinnamon, maybe 1-1.5tsp?
1 beef bouillon cube
1 can of coconut milk

---optional----add to taste----
crushed red pepper flakes
ground mustard
cayenne pepper

Mix it all together and simmer for awhile. Like I said, I normally add it to chicken that's been cooking and the juices mix in, so you might want to add 1/4 cup water or chicken broth. Reduce it to the desired thickness.

edit: Your house is going to smell like sh!t for about 12 hours after making this, and be careful at the gym if you eat a lot of it. I had it for dinner 3 nights in a row and I reeked of curry at the gym the next day.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Buy my W126!

Last edited by cowmoo32; 01-24-2013 at 03:38 PM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Coconut Curry Sauce I usually put on chicken and rice. I made a thread with the whole recipe awhile back:

2 big tablespoons of curry (I use yellow or yellow+red)
2 bay leaves crushed up
A few dashes of cinnamon, maybe 1-1.5tsp?
1 beef bouillon cube
1 can of coconut milk

---optional----add to taste----
crushed red pepper flakes
ground mustard
cayenne pepper

Mix it all together and simmer for awhile. Like I said, I normally add it to chicken that's been cooking and the juices mix in, so you might want to add 1/4 cup water or chicken broth. Reduce it to the desired thickness.

edit: Your house is going to smell like sh!t for about 12 hours after making this, and be careful at the gym if you eat a lot of it. I had it for dinner 3 nights in a row and I reeked of curry at the gym the next day.
dammit. It sounds so good. Where do I find the curry? It's in the regular or international spice section right?
Old 01-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Where I shop it's with all the normal spices. Curry is the one spice I buy where I'm ok with getting the premium version instead of Mccormick or whatever regular brand the store carries because it's such a strong flavor and it's a mix of different spices.

edit: Here's the thread with the full recipe.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ighlight=curry

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Buy my W126!

Last edited by cowmoo32; 01-24-2013 at 04:01 PM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #9
accolade

My Ride: O||||||O
Are you looking for marinades or finishing sauces, or both?
accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #10
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Youtube "knorr Marco Pierre White" and watch them all....and yes, I am serious.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #11
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
I'm making an easy ragu right now...to have for the week.
1lb chanterelle mushrooms
1lb ground pork
Onion
Garlic
rosemary
chicken broth

Simmering to reduce after partially browning the pork.
When I reheat to serve over rice or pasta I will add it to a roux to thicken it up.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies

Last edited by Fisch330ciTopasBlau; 01-25-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #12
ZimZimma328Ci

My Ride: Mopar
Send a message via AIM to ZimZimma328Ci
Probably one of my favorites:
Siracha
Real mayo
finely diced jalapeno
finely diced green onion
garlic
sesame seed oil
chili oil
s&p

I made paleo asian meatballs with this today and bacon wrapped sweet potato fries and on both it was absolutely perfect.

Also one I just started doing is

honey
yellow mustard
frank's hot sauce

Good on grilled chicken wings (or fried, I'm sure) or as a marinade with some rosemary on chicken thighs overnight then grilled
Old 01-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #13
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by accolade View Post
Are you looking for marinades or finishing sauces, or both?
Finishing mostly
Old 01-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
Stupid question but is a white/red wine vinegar just a reduction of a white/red wine? If so how many parts normally?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #15
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr_driver View Post
Stupid question but is a white/red wine vinegar just a reduction of a white/red wine? If so how many parts normally?
No.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #16
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
I made a chimchurri sauce/relish this weekend to serve with some nice NY strips. It was awesome, and is even better after a few days.

Here's how I made it (based on ingredients I had on hand):

4 tb olive oil
4 tb red wine vinegar
4 tb beef stock
1 cup parsley - chopped super fine
5 big cloves garlic - chopped super fine
1/2 large red onion - chopped super fine
a hefty dose of red chili flakes
salt to taste

You just mix it all up. No cooking. I put it in a mason jar in the fridge and we just use it as we need it. It was really good . . halfway between a pesto and a pico de gallo. Last night we were too tired to cook anything, so we just grilled up some hamburger patties to have with a garden salad . . the chimchurri on simple hamburger patties was pretty damn awesome.

I think authentic versions use scallion instead of onion and has a bunch of fresh oregano, too . . but I didn't have that on hand.
brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:29 AM   #17
sgplayer69

My Ride: 2003 CB M3 Coupe
I used to get some chicken breasts and while I was pan frying I'd reduce soy sauce, some sugar, ginger and a little garlic and glaze it over the chicken.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #18
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
When I made that Chimchurri above, I did buy new beef stock and wound up buying a little jar of concentrated beef stock paste/bullion paste/demi whatever. This stuff:

It was $6 bucks, but it makes 32 cups of beef broth. First ingredient is "roasted beef", which is awesome because most of the competing brands start with salt or msg/hydrolized soy protein.

I've used it a couple of times in the last month to make a simple dipping sauce for steak:

1.5 teaspoons beef concentrate
2 cloves of mashed garlic
6 ounces of water

Just simmer that for a few minutes or heat it in the microwave. Makes a truly awesome jus dipping sauce.

Last night I was pan cooking some sirloins and decided to make a brown sauce:

2 teaspoons beef concentrate
1.5 cup water
2 teaspoons flour
tons of cracked pepper
hot steak pan, all crusty and a bit greasy from cooking the steaks

I heated the concentrate and 1 cup of water in the microwave to get it nice and hot and mixed well.
I then poured about 4 ounces of stock into the hot steak pan to deglaze and quickly added the flour. I quickly whisked it all together until a thick roux formed and let that cook for about 30 seconds. I then added the rest of the stock and whisked over med high heat, getting it to proper gravy consistency. I then added the pepper and served over the steaks. Kinda tasted like the salsbury steak sauce in tv dinners, but much better.

Last edited by brew; 03-12-2013 at 01:38 PM.
brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #19
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
When I made that Chimchurri above, I did buy new beef stock and wound up buying a little jar of concentrated beef stock paste/bullion paste/demi whatever. This stuff:

It was $6 bucks, but it makes 32 cups of beef broth. First ingredient is "roasted beef", which is awesome because most of the competing brands start with salt or msg/hydrolized soy protein.

I've used it a couple of times in the last month to make a simple dipping sauce for steak:

6 ounces of water

Just simmer that for a few minutes or heat it in the microwave. Makes a truly awesome jus dipping sauce.

1.5 cup water
2 teaspoons flour
tons of cracked pepper

I heated the concentrate and 1 cup of water in the microwave to get it nice and hot and mixed well.
I then poured about 4 ounces of stock into the hot steak pan to deglaze and quickly added the flour. I quickly whisked it all together until a thick roux formed and let that cook for about 30 seconds. I then added the rest of the stock and whisked over med high heat, getting it to proper gravy consistency. I then added the pepper and served over the steaks. Kinda tasted like the salsbury steak sauce in tv dinners, but much better.
This stuff makes great seasoning on roasts and such. Just rub it all over and bake. It adds a nice flavor and makes things A LOT simpler for quick and easy home cooking.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #20
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post

6 ounces of water

1.5 cup water
2 teaspoons flour
tons of cracked pepper

I must find this...or a equivalent.