E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
BBQ guys. Chime in.

I've been using propane to BBQ. Gota weber that I love. My friend has been trying to get me to get a cheap charcoal one to grill. Is it worth it? Does it add that much flavor?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Absolutely. No comparison. Gas in convenient, but flavor wise it's a Yugo vs a Bentley. Not only that, if you like those nicely seared steaks and such, charcoal gets MUCH MUCH hotter. It does require more skill, but once you learn, it's game over. Also, whatever grill you buy (doesn't matter) just make sure the grates are 100% uncoated cast iron. No stainless steel, no ceramic coating, nothing. Pure cast iron.

Something like this would work well.

http://www.amazon.com/Char-Griller-2...ef=pd_sbs_lg_5

If you want more cooking area
http://www.amazon.com/Char-Griller-2...ef=pd_sbs_lg_2

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 06-24-2013 at 11:25 AM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
NFRs2000nyc

Oh, and I strongly advise against the combo grills (gas/charcoal.) The reliability is sh!t. The coal dust eventually clogs up the burners and renders them useless. Also moisture in the air mixed with ash creates lye, which eats through the crap metal the burners are made out of.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 06-24-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
My father loves his Green Egg.

I have a Weber Gas and it works for me.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
I use a Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold. Worth every dime x 10. It's got no cast iron grate but I think that's just gilding a lily.

The charcoal you use is important. Sure, Kingsford briquettes are good. They burn long and steady. But for flavor I go for real wood.
Nothing beats:

And I like to throw some soaked apple or hickory wood chunks right onto the coals for a little extra something.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.

Last edited by joeski3d; 06-24-2013 at 01:39 PM.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
I use a Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold. Worth every dime x 10. It's got no cast iron grate but I think that's just gilding a lily.

The charcoal you use is important. Sure, Kingsford briquettes are good. They burn long and steady. But for flavor I go for real wood.
Nothing beats:

And I like to throw some soaked apple or hickory wood chunks right onto the coals for a little extra something.
Those are indeed excellent grills but my main beef with them is the shape. Since it's a circle, if you are cooking a lot of long things (like 5 racks of ribs) you lose space and sections of your meat dangle away from the heat. They need to make the same grill in rectangular form.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
joeski3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Those are indeed excellent grills but my main beef with them is the shape. Since it's a circle, if you are cooking a lot of long things (like 5 racks of ribs) you lose space and sections of your meat dangle away from the heat. They need to make the same grill in rectangular form.
I can certainly see your point. I can't say I've ever been in a situation where I needed five racks of ribs done in short order. If I had more sons in the teen years I would have to seriously consider an upgrade. 90% of the time I grill it's just for my wife, our 4 year old son and myself. I have a good sized hot zone with plenty of cooking room to spare.

I used to have a large drum grill like you posted... with the side smoker box even. It was ok. I found the main issue there was temperature control. Adding charcoal was always a pain in the posterior. That and rust.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
The Weber Ranch Kettle solves that (awesome) problem

It's ridiculously expensive, though, for what it is.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 06-24-2013 at 02:12 PM.
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
joeski3d

I saw this in Target one day and it intrigued me.

It's smaller than the Weber 22" but the versatile cooking grate inserts and initial $130 price tag makes this a nifty little grill. Still not sure how well the temp management functions on this. Looks like adding more coals would be a problem.

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
NFRs2000nyc

BBQ guys. Chime in.

Quote:
I saw this in Target one day and it intrigued me.

It's smaller than the Weber 22" but the versatile cooking grate inserts and initial $130 price tag makes this a nifty little grill. Still not sure how well the temp management functions on this. Looks like adding more coals would be a problem.
Meh. Too fancy for me. A charcoal grill for me needs nothing. Hell give me half a 55gallon drum with a grate and I'm good to go. If you own your own home, you can build an awesome grill with some bricks and a grate.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #11
customisbetter

My Ride: 02 325xi
Propane is for Amateurs. That's not grilling, that's a fancy stove top that you use outside.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #12
joeski3d

... or, if you're homeless ...

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #13
beeemerdude

My Ride: Cabrio. Stick.
and,...don't forget to check out my "youtube: BBQ Pit Boys" thread down below that's going so well.

still think OT would be a lot better if they allowed food threads in main OT. don't get the views here.
beeemerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #14
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
Quote:
... or, if you're homeless ...

That shopping kart mesquite is to die for
Old 06-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #15
joeski3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeemerdude View Post
and,...don't forget to check out my "youtube: BBQ Pit Boys" thread down below that's going so well.

still think OT would be a lot better if they allowed food threads in main OT. don't get the views here.
Are you getting paid to spam these guys?

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #16
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
I can certainly see your point. I can't say I've ever been in a situation where I needed five racks of ribs done in short order. If I had more sons in the teen years I would have to seriously consider an upgrade. 90% of the time I grill it's just for my wife, our 4 year old son and myself. I have a good sized hot zone with plenty of cooking room to spare.

I used to have a large drum grill like you posted... with the side smoker box even. It was ok. I found the main issue there was temperature control. Adding charcoal was always a pain in the posterior. That and rust.
Rust is an issue, but they are generally cheap, and every few years I usually get a new one. If the grates are in good shape, I can usually stretch them to almost 5 years. Mine usually last around 3 (current Master Forge is running on 2.5) but that is due to the fact that I never keep them covered. They get rained on constantly.

Again, what you posted is an excellent grill. I have used them for years. Well made, simple enough for anyone to use, and produces great food (although I wish the rack wasn't stainless.) I regularly cook for 10+ people, so for me, it just wouldn't work. If you need a small grill for a small family, yours would definitely fit the bill.

As for adding charcoal, I have never cooked long enough where I needed to, and you are right, it wouldn't be super easy on the grills I posted, but still doable.

Oh, and I don't know how serious you boys are with the grilling, but only the ones I posted can accept a rotisserie.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 06-24-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #17
Brevik

My Ride: Tiag M3
I have been wanting to pull the trigger on a big green egg for a while now, but I went the other direction and built an electric smoker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post
My father loves his Green Egg.

I have a Weber Gas and it works for me.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #18
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
My brother in law is storing some stuff at our house as he sorts out his housing situation . . including his Weber charcoal grill. I've been cooking up a storm on that thing for the last 3 months. The flavor and heat are fantastic compared to propane, but it's a bit of a pain in the ass and more of a fire danger.

Although the round grill is kinda small . . it's awesome in that you can use a spatula or tongs to spin the whole grill, rotating your food on and off your direct heat without actually touching the meat. Pretty nifty.
brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #19
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
OP, when can I stop by?

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #20
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
My brother in law is storing some stuff at our house as he sorts out his housing situation . . including his Weber charcoal grill. I've been cooking up a storm on that thing for the last 3 months. The flavor and heat are fantastic compared to propane, but it's a bit of a pain in the ass and more of a fire danger.

Although the round grill is kinda small . . it's awesome in that you can use a spatula or tongs to spin the whole grill, rotating your food on and off your direct heat without actually touching the meat. Pretty nifty.
Fire danger? I'll take 100% controllable charcoal to an exploding propane tank anyday. It's only a fire danger if you do something really REALLY stupid.