E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
slimg00dy

My Ride: E46 325i
installed two discs, one already warped?

Okay so I had the dealer install all 4 discs and pads for me (probably my first mistake but its cold in VA now so I didn't want to do it my self).

I drove it maybe 200 miles without any hard breaking, but I did do a lot of high way, so there were some 60-65 down to 0 (again not hard breaking).

Now my front passenger disc makes noise every time I set off.
There are no vibrations, squeaks, noises or anything during breaking, its just when I start to put my foot on the gas when this happens.

Any ideas?
slimg00dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Take it back to the dealer.
They should have bed the brakes for you.
Also the rotors shouldnt warp in 200 miles.

Also, make sure they didnt do anything to suspension. Because you say, the noise starts at acceleration. It doesnt point to the brakes.

I suspect the pad material is stuck to the rotor and thats what is making noise.

Just out of curiosity, how much did they charge you for the brake job?

They quoted me $1800 last year. lol.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Either take it to the dealer and tell them to bed the brakes, or do it yourself.

Basically you just go from about 60mph to 5 mph repeatedly without resting about 10 times. You put the brakes on as hard as you can without tripping the ABS. After the last time, drive for several minutes to cool the rotors so the brake pads don't stick to the rotor. Don't come to a full stop during the process. You'll need a long abandoned county road or state route.

By the end of this you should be able to smell your brakes. They'll be smooth after this.

Last edited by WDE46; 01-22-2013 at 01:56 PM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
GSherbs

My Ride: 2002 330 xi
what kind of noise do they make under acceleration?
GSherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
slimg00dy

Mine was $1400. I've only done brake jobs in japanese cars before, and I've only done valve cover gaskets and oil changes in this car. Since I wasn't sure on the actual procedure, and I didn't want to replace the brakes in the cold, I went along with it, hoping I would get at least some decent service and a good warranty on parts.

Guess I get to go find out about the service and warranty now.

Last edited by slimg00dy; 01-22-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
slimg00dy

Its like a rubbing noise from the pad to the disc, and its not only certain parts of the disc, its the entire thing. If I were to go 1-2 mph only, it would make that rubbing noise the entire way.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Might just be the dust cover too...they often get bent...and they sit very close to the rotor. Take it back and have them fix it. Don't let them take more money from you!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
slimg00dy

wde46: I'll try that first, thanks.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Did the dealer install OE pads/rotors? Probably poor prep/clean.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
slimg00dy

Judging by the price, they should be BMW pads and rotors. The service receipt doesn't say OE, just says pads and rotors.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #11
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimg00dy View Post
Mine was $1400. I've only done break jobs in japanese cars before, and I've only done valve cover gaskets and oil changes in this car. Since I wasn't sure on the actual procedure, and I didn't want to replace the breaks in the cold, I went along with it, hoping I would get at least some decent service and a good warranty on parts.

You must really hate the cold to spend $1100 more than necessary for a set of brakes!
Brakes are brakes. Japanese, German, or American, they are all basically the same. I don't know what you thought would be that different on BMW brakes, especially since you paid $1400 for them. You could have done a complete suspension AND your brakes for that much money, if you did it yourself.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #12
slimg00dy

I don't have a garage since I own a small townhouse and the temperature range is from 15-35F during the last month and a half, not exactly the kind of temperature I want to take out wheels, clips, bolts and sensor cable for.
It goes without saying that I regret taking it to the dealer but I was playing it the safe route of not screwing it up the first time. Guess I should have just looked up a DIY and waited for a warmer month. However the brakes were 6+ years old according to the previous owner service records and brake sensor lights were on, so I didn't, and still don't, know how much of the pads were left.

Last edited by slimg00dy; 01-22-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #13
WDE46

Pad light means get new pads very soon. You had the right timing, but could have made a better choice on the money side of things. Good parts are about $300. Amateur labor (me) is about 3 hours for the first time. Pro labor with a lift should be 1.5 hours.

Anyway, for that money take it back to them and then leave a nasty floater in their customer bathroom. Don't flush.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #14
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
You must really hate the cold to spend $1100 more than necessary for a set of brakes!
Brakes are brakes. Japanese, German, or American, they are all basically the same. I don't know what you thought would be that different on BMW brakes, especially since you paid $1400 for them. You could have done a complete suspension AND your brakes for that much money, if you did it yourself.
Not quite. BMW and Porsche are known to have the best brakes in the business. This is especially awesome for BMW since they're not really a sports car manufacturer.

Pad and rotor compounds are trade secrets and are usually specific to a manufacturer's specification. Then there's cooling, ABS tuning, fluid specification, tuning, etc.

Basic stuff

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #15
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimg00dy View Post
Pretty much. You spent $1,400 and they screwed something up. Have them fix it.
mtnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #16
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Not quite. BMW and Porsche are known to have the best brakes in the business. This is especially awesome for BMW since they're not really a sports car manufacturer.

Pad and rotor compounds are trade secrets and are usually specific to a manufacturer's specification. Then there's cooling, ABS tuning, fluid specification, tuning, etc.

Basic stuff
Yeah, but he's talking mechanics. Mechanically our E46 brakes are almost identical to any other sliding caliper design. If you purchase the parts, then any mechanic can install them properly.

Quality wise, our brakes (especially the 330) are phenomenal.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #17
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Yeah, but he's talking mechanics. Mechanically our E46 brakes are almost identical to any other sliding caliper design. If you purchase the parts, then any mechanic can install them properly.

Quality wise, our brakes (especially the 330) are phenomenal.
If that's what he meant, then should have stated so.

Like I said, this is a cleaning/prep issue. Or maybe just straight up has defective pads (machined out of tolerance)

If OP shows pics of his pads, I'll tell him exactly whats wrong

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #18
slimg00dy

I'll try taking it to the dealer first to see if they are willing to fix it (I'll be angry if they don't).

If for some reason they don't, I'll try WDE46's method.

If that doesn't work, I'll order pads and 2 discs and replace both front ones and take the pics then.
I've already looked at the DIY's and they look pretty much like any other cars except for a few things here and there.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #19
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Maybe they didn't use anti squeak on the pads? OP $1,400 is a rip off. I would rather freeze outside than over pay to have my brakes replaced.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #20
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
I honestly don't know how people can afford cars these days... with prices like this, who has money for food and rent/mortgage?

OP next time rent a local garage for three hours and do it yourself if location is needed. All brake jobs are similar, bmw is actually one of the easiest.

or come by next time... you'll still save yourself $$$ after round trip and my fee ;-)

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote