E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #21
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
... damn .... next time just hold off till the cold air passes through and sacrifice your balls for two hours when its slightly warmer...

its about -5F here in Ontario and id still wouldn't pay that much!

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #22
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelgawel View Post
I honestly don't know how people can afford cars these days... with prices like this, who has money for food and rent/mortgage?

OP next time rent a local garage for three hours and do it yourself if location is needed. All brake jobs are similar, bmw is actually one of the easiest.

or come by next time... you'll still save yourself $$$ after round trip and my fee ;-)

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
I can't afford a mechanic. I don't know how you can even afford a mechanic for a POS car. That's why most people's cars suck anyway. They don't know how to do preventative maintenance, so their car just wears out and starts falling apart, then they get each thing fixed as it blows up by a mechanic. Then they blame the unreliability on the car manufacturer.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #23
slimg00dy

My Ride: E46 325i
It was the only repair I've done at the dealer so far. The only other repair I had was the valve cover gasket and the vanos unit (dr. vanos ftw). I don't know where I can rent a garage around sterling va. Also shops on bimmershops aren't that cheap either.
slimg00dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #24
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
I can't afford a mechanic. I don't know how you can even afford a mechanic for a POS car. That's why most people's cars suck anyway. They don't know how to do preventative maintenance, so their car just wears out and starts falling apart, then they get each thing fixed as it blows up by a mechanic. Then they blame the unreliability on the car manufacturer.
100% spot on

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #25
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by zander271 View Post
Maybe they didn't use anti squeak on the pads? OP $1,400 is a rip off. I would rather freeze outside than over pay to have my brakes replaced.
It's not a rip off. It's the standard dealer cost for replacing pads. I got quoted 1800 last year by the dealer and 1200 by brakesplus.

I always try to get quotes before i DIY, just to see how much I am going to be saving.

A local member here helped me in installing the pads and rotors. A retaining bolt was stuck so I had to take it to the shop to do one rotor. Cost me $40 for labor only.

OP, I did my brakes in February while it was snowing last year.

Yesterday I was fixing my door handle in 30 degrees weather.
And today it's 65 degrees. More reason to love Colorado.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #26
slimg00dy

How do you do your work during snow?? And did you do your work in the garage or in a parking lot?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #27
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
100% spot on
Mango, you should put this quote into your sig! It's like a quote from the Mango Bible on Preventive Maintenance
Old 01-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #28
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
It's not a rip off. It's the standard dealer cost for replacing pads.
Rip off is in the eye of the beholder!
More to it than 'it's standard'.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #29
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimg00dy View Post
How do you do your work during snow?? And did you do your work in the garage or in a parking lot?
For brakes, we did it in a garage. But everything else I do it in a parking lot.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #30
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Rip off is in the eye of the beholder!
More to it than 'it's standard'.
Yes, it is expensive but the standard labor is around 200 at the dealers. And being a BMW dealer they will mark up the price in the parts as well.

What I meant was, if you go for a repair to a dealership, you have to be ready to pay as well. No way I am going to the dealership for the brake work, but if you are then you have to expect to pay the amount. Whether a rip off or not.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #31
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
OP - I did not realize that my comment would lead to even more people piling on you, and even bringing your balls into the discussion, so, sorry for that. But, once there is blood in the water.....

On the subject of the warped rotor you mentioned - A warped rotor is actually quite rare. As others have mentioned, your brakes should have been bedded. This prevents deposits from the pads from building up on the rotors, and causing an uneven rotor surface. There is a more thorough explanation here:
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #32
slimg00dy

MJLavelle, I've ready that already, and like some others have said the dealer should have bedded them in after installation. Although the instructions state that I have to at least do this for a a few hundred miles. Regardless. Now that its starting to make the noise I'm assuming that there are deposits from the pads on the rotor surface, but how would I get that clean that now? I don't want to machine those rotors. From the looks of it they're really thin. Would bedding them now help any at all?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #33
slimg00dy

Also here's another thought, could I have stuck caliper that could be forcing the pad to be stuck on the rotor?
Old 01-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #34
//Maxwelljuppercut

My Ride: 05 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Either take it to the dealer and tell them to bed the brakes, or do it yourself.

Basically you just go from about 60mph to 5 mph repeatedly without resting about 10 times. You put the brakes on as hard as you can without tripping the ABS. After the last time, drive for several minutes to cool the rotors so the brake pads don't stick to the rotor. Don't come to a full stop during the process. You'll need a long abandoned county road or state route.

By the end of this you should be able to smell your brakes. They'll be smooth after this.
to be clear you start off braking lightly, and go a little harder each time, only the last couple/few are at full force.
//Maxwelljuppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #35
Stinger9

Quote:
the standard labor is around 200 at the dealers.
Only in mile high territory! Most of the ones I know are just over the hundred mark.

What I meant was, if you go for a repair to a dealership, you have to be ready to pay as well.
Agree with that sentiment. Dealer uses flat rate hours, so if book says three hours, that's what you get charged, even when it's a 20 minute job. But it's their garage, tools and mechanics. They make the rules and no one's forcing you.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #36
trj

Quote:
Agree with that sentiment. Dealer uses flat rate hours, so if book says three hours, that's what you get charged, even when it's a 20 minute job. But it's their garage, tools and mechanics. They make the rules and no one's forcing you.
That's exactly what I meant. If you go to a dealer's for a repair they are going to charge you a lot.
It's not a rip off, that's how they make money and we all know about it. Even the shops here charge over 100 an hour.
Our conversation is not helping OP at all though.

OP, you paid 1400. There is no reason that you should be doing any repairs on the same. Take it back there. You paid for the peace of mind and even if they have to install new pads and rotors, its going to be free.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #37
//Maxwelljuppercut

My Ride: 05 325i
Quote:
That's exactly what I meant. If you go to a dealer's for a repair they are going to charge you a lot.
It's not a rip off, that's how they make money and we all know about it. Even the shops here charge over 100 an hour.
Our conversation is not helping OP at all though.

OP, you paid 1400. There is no reason that you should be doing any repairs on the same. Take it back there. You paid for the peace of mind and even if they have to install new pads and rotors, its going to be free.
thats exactly it. it does cost more but, its factory trained mechanics using oe parts. part of the reason/justification is also that no matter what it takes it will be made right, if for some reason its not the first time. i know it doesnt always happen that way, but thats how its supposed to be.
//Maxwelljuppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #38
slimg00dy

Well then I'll have to show my violent side (not that I have much of) if they don't fix/replace it. Maybe I'll go with a few friends.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #39
Stinger9

Speak softly, logically, and be firm. Keep reasoning with them until it all makes you satisfied. You need the practice.

Seriously

Last edited by Stinger9; 01-22-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #40
slimg00dy

Quote:
Speak softly, logically, and be firm. Keep reasoning with them until it all makes you satisfied. You need the practice.

Haha, aww, I was hoping to be loud and shouty. Guess I'll have to give this a try first.