E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
Bimmerguy82

My Ride: 2004 ZHP 6 SPD
Exhaust question.

Do anybody know if these cats would work well enough to pass Cali smog? I will put them inline as close to my headers as possible. Just wondering if they will get to operating temp. And no I am not going back to OEM manifold, just trying to find the simplest and cheapest solution now that I am moving to Cali and will have to pass emissions again. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
BMWCCA member #407674

Ebay headers | 3.38 diff | 2.5" cat-less exhaust | K&N intake | AA stage 1 software | UUC stage 1 light flywheel and clutch | UUC Evo 3 ssk
Bimmerguy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
oAllElseFailo

My Ride: 328Ci
From what i've read/heard from everyone - every aftermarket cats have failed smog, even those high flow ones

Btw - 'these cats' no one knows what you're referring to
Old 03-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
ohhhh... those cats!

Nah
Old 03-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
TallSkinnyMatt

My Ride: E92 M3 ZCP
Only stock will pass from what I know.

Last edited by TallSkinnyMatt; 03-12-2013 at 08:48 PM.
TallSkinnyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
nike001

My Ride: Fergo
Quote:
Originally Posted by oAllElseFailo View Post

aye

330i ZHP 6MT | H&R Sport Cup | BMW Performance | OEM Clears | Coby Wheel
nike001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
Bimmerguy82

Sorry, forgot to post the link of said cats. I am looking at Magnaflow universal fitment ones.
Will post later when I get home from work. There has to be a way for aftermarket ones to pass smog, otherwise why would they sell them right?
BMWCCA member #407674

Ebay headers | 3.38 diff | 2.5" cat-less exhaust | K&N intake | AA stage 1 software | UUC stage 1 light flywheel and clutch | UUC Evo 3 ssk
Old 03-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
oAllElseFailo

Find yourself someone that will hook you up to pass smog, that's pretty much how most of us do it here
Old 03-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
Part suppliers won't ship to CA address, unless the cat is 50 state approved.
It is possible to pass with aftermarket cats, it depends on where you smog
the car. Unless the smog guy specializes in BMW, they can't necessarily tell
if the cats are not OE
lszlszx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #9
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
If the cats are new, and as close to the engine as possible...maybe.

It's an impossible question to answer without knowing condition of engine, quality of fuel, strictness of test, etc. Even then, it's still a guess. What works for one may not for another.

The fact that they sell cats does not mean you're guaranteed to pass, lol. Much less surface area in universal ones, and the longevity is pathetic. Even if you do get it to work, don't be surprised if you have to buy another one to pass the next time emissions rolls around.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #10
Bimmerguy82

Well I live in Seattle currently, and am trying to figure this all out before I move in August. I will be moving to North SD county, like Escondido area. @Brandon, is it easy to find guys to pass you on smog with a little bribery?
BMWCCA member #407674

Old 03-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #11
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
If the car is out of state, the smog guys might take a closer look at everything. We had a Saab that was originally sold in Washington state and
easily passed smog here. More and more states are adopting CA smog standards, so it might be the same cat anyway. Are your cats shot?
lszlszx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #12
oAllElseFailo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerguy82 View Post
Well I live in Seattle currently, and am trying to figure this all out before I move in August. I will be moving to North SD county, like Escondido area. @Brandon, is it easy to find guys to pass you on smog with a little bribery?
If you ask around you can find people. I've kind of always had this same mechanic that my dad took his cars to and I take my car to so he knows people and he helps me out with it. But this year I had to pay a hefty bribe for it.. it's considered a felony and on top of that, this year Cali changed some of their smog names from a Star location to a gold shield thing (supposed to be more strict)

I've heard though, if you can keep your car registered in Washington, then you're exempt from CA emissions test. But again that's just something I heard, someone else can chime in on that one.

Edit: assume he's asking because he has ebay headers & his sig does say 'cat-less' exhaust.

Last edited by oAllElseFailo; 03-12-2013 at 10:29 PM.
oAllElseFailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #13
Bimmerguy82

Quote:
If you ask around you can find people. I've kind of always had this same mechanic that my dad took his cars to and I take my car to so he knows people and he helps me out with it. But this year I had to pay a hefty bribe for it.. it's considered a felony and on top of that, this year Cali changed some of their smog names from a Star location to a gold shield thing (supposed to be more strict)

I've heard though, if you can keep your car registered in Washington, then you're exempt from CA emissions test. But again that's just something I heard, someone else can chime in on that one.

Edit: assume he's asking because he has ebay headers & his sig does say 'cat-less' exhaust.
Yes I suppose I could keep it reg. up in WA, but I think that give me a whole new headache of problems. Dont think the police will like me having a car registered out of state and have a Cali license and address. Ugh, such a PITA this is right now. I dont see why aftermarket cats wont get me to pass tbe sniffer test. I mean, if they getting to proper temp they should be okay. Hopefully they dont do a visual check.
BMWCCA member #407674

Old 03-12-2013, 10:55 PM   #14
oAllElseFailo

Well again - i'm not 100% certain on the whole thing of having a car registered out of state, so don't take my word on that.

I honestly don't know the reason why they don't pass, but if you look in one of these threads of the 'official ebay headers' thing you'll see a ton of people talking about after market cats and still failing smog and so on.

However, there is a new law here that they're trying to pass/agree upon that any car 2000+ gets to skip the sniffer test and emissions will just be through the OBD & visual. But i've never seen any smog place do a visual check on any car we've had smogged legally lol
Old 03-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #15
t5contradiction

My Ride: 99 323i e46
Move to DC. Visual smog test (aka no black smoke, no problem) and no inspection. Ahhh I love the capital.
t5contradiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #16
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:

Catch me walkin' through the Crowne Plaza with my Ballys on.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:11 PM   #17
Bimmerguy82

Quote:
Well again - i'm not 100% certain on the whole thing of having a car registered out of state, so don't take my word on that.

I honestly don't know the reason why they don't pass, but if you look in one of these threads of the 'official ebay headers' thing you'll see a ton of people talking about after market cats and still failing smog and so on.

However, there is a new law here that they're trying to pass/agree upon that any car 2000+ gets to skip the sniffer test and emissions will just be through the OBD & visual. But i've never seen any smog place do a visual check on any car we've had smogged legally lol

Hopefully they pass this soon. That would really help.
BMWCCA member #407674

Old 03-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #18
HacksawMark
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
That only works if you're in the military; you can keep your car registered in your home state. Other than that, you are SOL.
HacksawMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #19
t5contradiction

My Ride: 99 323i e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksawmark View Post
That only works if you're in the military; you can keep your car registered in your home state. Other than that, you are SOL.
or if you are a student....
t5contradiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #20
oAllElseFailo

Well there you go lol guess that options out.

So really you just have to go back to OEM or ask around when you arrive for a place that can help you pass smog. You can always try testing after market cats but like i said - haven't seen anyone pass it.

Just dont fall for some stupid sh*t - I found someone only wanting 160$ to smog, went there and he's like okay I need your drivers license, registration and I need the car for 6-8 weeks. Pfft.. probably come back to a shell of a car and hell if i'm giving him my information