E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #41
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Funny how that's where your mind goes first. I didn't even think about that until you brought it up.

If that's where you turn, one could say that the Republican party has shifted quite a bit in the past 4 years and with their most recent failure to "take back" the presidency, perhaps he thought it a good time to state his feelings.
They haven't pushed for anything they hadn't pushed before, didn't change any party platforms or anything substantial. They've been running the same crap for years, and Powell was in on in during the GW years which would have been the best time to come out and blast republicans.

If you consider wanting Obama out of office a shift, then what the hell did the democrats do every time Bush was elected? It is silly to act like one side plays nice and the other doesn't. Fact is, Powell didn't do anything until Obama came along.
__________________
“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:39 AM   #42
Swish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NorCal
Posts: 285
My Ride: 2004 M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
They haven't pushed for anything they hadn't pushed before, didn't change any party platforms or anything substantial. They've been running the same crap for years, and Powell was in on in during the GW years which would have been the best time to come out and blast republicans.

If you consider wanting Obama out of office a shift, then what the hell did the democrats do every time Bush was elected? It is silly to act like one side plays nice and the other doesn't. Fact is, Powell didn't do anything until Obama came along.
Lets be honest here, you're just as much a racist as you claim Phrozen is (I said this before Im sure). If it was about race for Powell, he could have easily voted within party lines and lent his endorsement to your boy Herman Cain, no? It isn't about race as you insinuate, it's about the fact that the GOP needs to get it together to win... and this stand up American (Powell) is calling it like he sees it!
__________________

"If you want to move past racism, you have to STOP LABELING EVERYTHING BY RACE / 2000_328CI"
Swish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:00 AM   #43
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish View Post
Lets be honest here, you're just as much a racist as you claim Phrozen is (I said this before Im sure). If it was about race for Powell, he could have easily voted within party lines and lent his endorsement to your boy Herman Cain, no? It isn't about race as you insinuate, it's about the fact that the GOP needs to get it together to win... and this stand up American (Powell) is calling it like he sees it!
This is where I lose respect for you. You deny the simple facts and then try to associate me with a disgusting bigot like him, I am honestly offended on a personal level. Do not label me a racist for observing that someone is clearly and openly bigoted and partial due to the color of someone's race.

If you followed me on here, which I know you did, you would know that I was a #1 Herman Cain supporter until the false allegations were brought upon him and he was undeservedly forced to withdraw from the race.

Herman Cain was bad for government. Big government types, no matter if they are white, black, yellow or brown, will protect other big government types because the gravy train has enough room in the caboose for everyone. Cain was closer to Ron Paul than Mitt Romney. It is no surprise that he was quickly marginalized, whether it be by fearful democrats or republicans.
__________________
“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #44
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 820
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
They haven't pushed for anything they hadn't pushed before, didn't change any party platforms or anything substantial. They've been running the same crap for years, and Powell was in on in during the GW years which would have been the best time to come out and blast republicans.

If you consider wanting Obama out of office a shift, then what the hell did the democrats do every time Bush was elected? It is silly to act like one side plays nice and the other doesn't. Fact is, Powell didn't do anything until Obama came along.
Correlation does not imply causation, no matter how much you want it to.

In my opinion the Republicans have drifted further and further to the right, and become more and more disconnected from the more traditional Republicans like Reagan. This is what Powell seems to be saying. Like I said before, the facct that your mind goes to where it did is interesting.

Edit: I don't think you're racist, you and I probably agree on more things than disagree, but the color of Powell's skin never entered my mind on this one until you brought it up.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 01-25-2013 at 08:38 AM.
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #45
Lair
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sea level
Posts: 321
My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
The fact that he thought Herman Cain was a good candidate is also interesting.




(In before "racist!" I voted for Obama, remember?)
__________________

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #46
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Correlation does not imply causation, no matter how much you want it to.

In my opinion the Republicans have drifted further and further to the right, and become more and more disconnected from the more traditional Republicans like Reagan. This is what Powell seems to be saying. Like I said before, the facct that your mind goes to where it did is interesting.
In what way did they drift further right? Were they not against abortion before? Were they not for "traditional" marriage before? Were they not "for" lowering taxes before? I don't think you can articulate an actual drift to the right, I honestly believe this alleged drift is nothing but the result of speeches and media coverage.

Just show me things that changed since Obama was elected. As far as I can recall the only thing that changed was the narrative.
__________________
“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #47
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 820
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
In what way did they drift further right? Were they not against abortion before? Were they not for "traditional" marriage before? Were they not "for" lowering taxes before? I don't think you can articulate an actual drift to the right, I honestly believe this alleged drift is nothing but the result of speeches and media coverage.

Just show me things that changed since Obama was elected. As far as I can recall the only thing that changed was the narrative.
Maybe further to the right isn't the right way to describe it. Further disconnected from the ideals they claim to represent? Further disconnected from the ideals of former party leaders like Reagan? Further disconnected from reality?

They need to stop kicking themselves in the face in reference to social issues and start being fiscally responsible. They are all talk and zero action, as far as I'm concerned.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #48
Swish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NorCal
Posts: 285
My Ride: 2004 M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
This is where I lose respect for you. You deny the simple facts and then try to associate me with a disgusting bigot like him, I am honestly offended on a personal level. Do not label me a racist for observing that someone is clearly and openly bigoted and partial due to the color of someone's race.

If you followed me on here, which I know you did, you would know that I was a #1 Herman Cain supporter until the false allegations were brought upon him and he was undeservedly forced to withdraw from the race.

Herman Cain was bad for government. Big government types, no matter if they are white, black, yellow or brown, will protect other big government types because the gravy train has enough room in the caboose for everyone. Cain was closer to Ron Paul than Mitt Romney. It is no surprise that he was quickly marginalized, whether it be by fearful democrats or republicans.
Our respect level for each other has obviously deteriorated over time, mine because of the petty insults you throw at people during debate. You're better than that, and I know for a fact you can throw a better argument together than insulting (you do it for a living). I call you racist because you automatically assume Powell voted/supports Obama based on race... as I said above, if it was all about race, Powell could have easily walked his party line and endorsed Cain as soon as Cain decided to run. Powell's support (and vocal disappointment) doesn't seem about race, it seems about logic! And since you were so quick to bring up race, for this highly respected American, that my dude is where you lost my respect! Theres no denying the GOP needs to re-evaluate their agenda... you disagree with this?


Edit: I know you supported Cain, that's why I said "your boy". My sincerest apologies if I offended you.
__________________

"If you want to move past racism, you have to STOP LABELING EVERYTHING BY RACE / 2000_328CI"

Last edited by Swish; 01-25-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Swish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #49
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Maybe further to the right isn't the right way to describe it. Further disconnected from the ideals they claim to represent? Further disconnected from the ideals of former party leaders like Reagan? Further disconnected from reality?

They need to stop kicking themselves in the face in reference to social issues and start being fiscally responsible. They are all talk and zero action, as far as I'm concerned.
Again I am forced to ask, what actually changed? This isn't a troll, it is an honest question. From the Bush years to now, how has the GOP actually changed other than the media coverage?
__________________
“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #50
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish View Post
Our respect level for each other has obviously deteriorated over time, mine because of the petty insults you throw at people during debate. You're better than that, and I know for a fact you can throw a better argument together than insulting (you do it for a living). I call you racist because you automatically assume Powell voted/supports Obama based on race... as I said above, if it was all about race, Powell could have easily walked his party line and endorsed Cain as soon as Cain decided to run. Powell's support (and vocal disappointment) doesn't seem about race, it seems about logic! And since you were so quick to bring up race, for this highly respected American, that my dude is where you lost my respect! Theres no denying the GOP needs to re-evaluate their agenda... you disagree with this?


Edit: I know you supported Cain, that's why I said "your boy". My sincerest apologies if I offended you.
I'm sorry you feel that way my dude, but it is the only logical answer.
__________________
“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #51
Swish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NorCal
Posts: 285
My Ride: 2004 M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Again I am forced to ask, what actually changed? This isn't a troll, it is an honest question. From the Bush years to now, how has the GOP actually changed other than the media coverage?
Unhidden racism and the TEA PARTY has changed the GOP in a big way. The Tea Party didn't exist during Bush's era, if they were, they weren't vocal about much. They've cause the GOP to make some very bad moves!
__________________

"If you want to move past racism, you have to STOP LABELING EVERYTHING BY RACE / 2000_328CI"
Swish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #52
Swish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NorCal
Posts: 285
My Ride: 2004 M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
I'm sorry you feel that way my dude, but it is the only logical answer.
If it was about race, why didn't he support Cain when he was doing well in the GOP race?
__________________

"If you want to move past racism, you have to STOP LABELING EVERYTHING BY RACE / 2000_328CI"
Swish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #53
phrozen06
Banned User
 
phrozen06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 39°27'33"N 77°58'04"W
Posts: 7,535
My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Oddly, I don't recall Colin Powell coming out to "slam" the GOP or even support democrats until another black guy came along...funny how that works
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
Perhaps because the GOP hadn't stooped to quite such political and ideological lows until a black guy came along...it is funny how that works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Funny how that's where your mind goes first. I didn't even think about that until you brought it up.

If that's where you turn, one could say that the Republican party has shifted quite a bit in the past 4 years and with their most recent failure to "take back" the presidency, perhaps he thought it a good time to state his feelings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
Why do you think that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
This is where I lose respect for you. You deny the simple facts and then try to associate me with a disgusting bigot like him, I am honestly offended on a personal level. Do not label me a racist for observing that someone is clearly and openly bigoted and partial due to the color of someone's race.
You're kidding right? Just remember the only fish that don't get hooked are the ones that keep their mouths shut. You're the one throwing racists labels around. But..........keep talkin.
phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #54
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 820
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Again I am forced to ask, what actually changed? This isn't a troll, it is an honest question. From the Bush years to now, how has the GOP actually changed other than the media coverage?
Things like this are just an example:

http://www.nationalmemo.com/republic...-rape-victims/

I'm not specifically using the Bush years as the bench mark, I'm looking more to the Reagan years. Bush wasn't very far to the right on most things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
I'm sorry you feel that way my dude, but it is the only logical answer.
Using your logic, where was the Tea Party prior to Obama? Why weren't they as vocal as they have been when Dubya was rapidly increasing the debt and deficit? The only logical answer is because of race.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 01-25-2013 at 09:24 AM.
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #55
Swish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NorCal
Posts: 285
My Ride: 2004 M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Things like this are just an example:

http://www.nationalmemo.com/republic...-rape-victims/

I'm not specifically using the Bush years as the bench mark, I'm looking more to the Reagan years. Bush wasn't very far to the right on most things.



Using your logic, where was the Tea Party prior to Obama? Why weren't they as vocal as they have been when Dubya was rapidly increasing the debt and deficit? The only logical answer is because of race.
AoG
__________________

"If you want to move past racism, you have to STOP LABELING EVERYTHING BY RACE / 2000_328CI"
Swish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #56
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Things like this are just an example:

http://www.nationalmemo.com/republic...-rape-victims/

I'm not specifically using the Bush years as the bench mark, I'm looking more to the Reagan years. Bush wasn't very far to the right on most things.



Using your logic, where was the Tea Party prior to Obama? Why weren't they as vocal as they have been when Dubya was rapidly increasing the debt and deficit? The only logical answer is because of race.
1. If you believe an unborn child is a living human being the law is completely logical. I obviously support abortion but I can recognize the argument against it. Also, only a State law.

2. The Tea Party isn't racist. That is another false narrative. The Tea Party arose after the bailouts and that dude went on the rant on whatever news channel he was on (very specific, I know). Obama won and the first thing he said to the opposition party was "I won", his first steps as president were pretty much "fvck you I'm doing what I want". You're actually surprised people reacted to that? Clinton never took that tone, GW certainly never took that tone.
__________________
“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."

Last edited by Act of God; 01-25-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #57
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
You're kidding right? Just remember the only fish that don't get hooked are the ones that keep their mouths shut. You're the one throwing racists labels around. But..........keep talkin.
You're seriously a horrible excuse for a person. You disgust me and people like you should be excised from society until you can learn not to hate people based on the color of their skin.
__________________
“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #58
Lair
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sea level
Posts: 321
My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
99.9% of the tea baggers are white.

It's just a coincidence.
__________________

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #59
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 820
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
1. If you believe an unborn child is a living human being the law is completely logical. I obviously support abortion but I can recognize the argument against it. Also, only a State law.
So, have the baby that is conceived through rape (legitimate?) or go to jail. That's not business as usual.

Quote:
2. The Tea Party isn't racist. That is another false narrative. The Tea Party arose after the bailouts and that dude went on the rant on whatever news channel he was on (very specific, I know). Obama won and the first thing he said to the opposition party was "I won", his first steps as president were pretty much "fvck you I'm doing what I want". You're actually surprised people reacted to that? Clinton never took that tone, GW certainly never took that tone.
So, you mean to tell me they got upset over two bailout packages that totaled less than 15% of the national debt, but they didn't get upset when the debt went from a $6T to $11T under Dubya?



(I don't believe the TP is full of racist, but I'm playing your "logic" that Powell has to be a racist because of whatever reason you're touting)
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #60
phrozen06
Banned User
 
phrozen06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 39°27'33"N 77°58'04"W
Posts: 7,535
My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
You're kidding right? Just remember the only fish that don't get hooked are the ones that keep their mouths shut. You're the one throwing racists labels around. But..........keep talkin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
You're seriously a horrible excuse for a person. You disgust me and people like you should be excised from society until you can learn not to hate people based on the color of their skin.
To quote William Jefferson Clinton

Quote:
“It takes some brass to attack a guy for doing what you did”
Moving on now. Colon Powell isn't the only Republican who feels this way.

Quote:
"We had a number of republicans (Todd Akin, and Richard Murdock to name a few) who have damaged the brand this year with offensive and bizarre comments and we've had enough of that."

"The first step in getting non-white voters to like you is to demonstrate that you like them."

- Gov. Bobby Jindal
phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use