E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 08:27 AM   #21
GSherbs

My Ride: 2002 330 xi
My trip to the train station is 5 minutes by car. Occasionally, I have to do it but 95% of the time, I ride a bike and it takes 10 minutes rather than 5.

Bike if you can.

-G
GSherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #22
omegaSMP300

My Ride: '06 E46 M3 Coupe
have to be thankful for my 25 minute drive to work now and warm california weather (mostly the california part). : )
omegaSMP300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #23
Blueandwhite85

My Ride: E46
I live less than a mile from work so during the non-summer months I walk. Not everyone's preferred method, but it's nice to walk actually. As long as I don't show up to work sweating my arse off. Damn the summer heat!
Blueandwhite85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #24
auto180sx

My Ride: '02 Steel Blue 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Just because KY appears to be in the South, you obviously do not know how cold KY can get at times!!!

Jet stream loves to dip South into KY out of CA and this along with the mountains and wind, KY can get GD COLD at times!!

Yes worry about CCV freezing, you do not want this. There are already half a dozen posts this week about CCV freezing and it is interesting how many keep forgetting about the CCV freezing.
Yeah, I ordered the cold weather version and its the last piece left to get the car up to snuff. Also, the thermostat is fine, car warms up in a appropriate amount of time. I know what a bad thermostat will do, the one I replaced the original one with was faulty out of the box.

Once we get into the spring, and out of this high of 20*F bull crap I will be walking/ riding a bike to work.

OKI BMW
BMW CCA Member #444186
auto180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #25
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by auto180sx View Post
Yeah, I ordered the cold weather version and its the last piece left to get the car up to snuff. Also, the thermostat is fine, car warms up in a appropriate amount of time. I know what a bad thermostat will do, the one I replaced the original one with was faulty out of the box.
Curious, which brand thermostat was bad out of the box?

And have you used the OBC hidden functions to monitor your coolant temp?
Dash gauge way inaccurate.

Last edited by Stinger9; 05-08-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #26
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Curious, which brand thermostat was bad out of the box?

And have you used the OBC hidden functions to monitor your coolant temp?
Dash gauge way inaccurate.
I am not sure we have received an answer to what the engine cooling temp is actually operating at?

Cannot rely on the gauge, it is buffered, if you read the link I provided, it explains everything you need to know.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #27
Mulrich07

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammk View Post
But at all costs, avoid parking the car after short trips when it's very cold or about to get very cold.. That's just asking for trouble..
Can you elaborate a little more? My commute to my gym is 5 minutes tops down the road. People say not to let the car warm up in the AM or when it's cold because of the oil in the head or something. However, my trip to my one job is 10 minutes from my place. From my one job to the gym is 5 minutes. Are you suggesting letting it warm up and then driving or just take off but get the car up to operating temps? take the extra long way?

Going from home to my other job is about 30 minutes so it gets way up to operating temps. Thermo is good and recently replaced plus the needle is right in the middle of the gauge as well.
Mulrich07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #28
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulrich07 View Post
Can you elaborate a little more? My commute to my gym is 5 minutes tops down the road. People say not to let the car warm up in the AM or when it's cold because of the oil in the head or something. However, my trip to my one job is 10 minutes from my place. From my one job to the gym is 5 minutes. Are you suggesting letting it warm up and then driving or just take off but get the car up to operating temps? take the extra long way?

Going from home to my other job is about 30 minutes so it gets way up to operating temps. Thermo is good and recently replaced plus the needle is right in the middle of the gauge as well.
Needle right in the middle of the gauge is meaningless. Have you read any more of this thread? And new part proves nothing.

Car does not care about your lifestyle. Short trips in cold weather will develop sludge. Warming up before you go is better, but not the holy grail. Best is longer trips.
Perhaps those of you should just live your life and change out the CVV more frequently. If you DIY, it's not horribly expensive.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #29
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Quote:
I am starting to feel like I am dealing with my kids.

Here is what you need to do, READ THIS - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=report

I doubt you will have ANY questions once you read that thread and you will KNOW if your thermostat is REALLY working and your engine is getting up to the proper operating temperature.

Please advise when you have read that thread!

Also this will solve your sludge, cold engine and short drive problems!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Buggy.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	487475  

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 01-23-2013 at 08:00 PM.
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #30
Passnu2

My Ride: Sport Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSherbs View Post
My trip to the train station is 5 minutes by car. Occasionally, I have to do it but 95% of the time, I ride a bike and it takes 10 minutes rather than 5.

Bike if you can.

-G
Passnu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #31
sammk

My Ride: Bone-stock E92
Quote:

Whoever told you not to let the car warm up is feeding you crap. It's always good to let the car get up to operating temp. and then some, to work out the moisture..

Think of it this way - if you fill a glass with ice in Florida weather you'll see water condense on the outside. The same thing happens to your CCV system on cold starts, except the outside of the glass is the inside of your engine.. Rough analogy but enough to convey the point..

Now, unlike a glass of ice, your engine is a living, breathing object that warms up. After it warms up enough, the moisture will get worked off and disappear and your oil system which is connected to the CCV system (unlike the cooling system system, which is completely separated from everything else) is operating normally with normal/minimal level of moisture..

Again, 'engine warmed up' is not totally reflected by the gage.

That out of the way, what happens when you accumulate a lot of short drives.. The moisture saturates your oil system and you get into sludge issues. Or, the moisture is still present in the CCV hose when the outside temp. drops to freezing, and what you have is a frozen CCV valve.. If you're part of the lucky majority, the valve freezes closed and you blow a bunch of seals around the engine. Relatively easy fix but messy as hell and a b!tch DIY in freezing temps. Else, if you're part of the elite, it freezes open and you end up hydrolocking the engine.. No fun.

So let the engine warm up, keep short commutes to a minimum, avoid them in freezing weather altogether and let your engine breathe freely as much as possible.. And parking in a garage helps.

E92 convert. BMW Fanatic.
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #32
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueandwhite85 View Post
I live less than a mile from work so during the non-summer months I walk. Not everyone's preferred method, but it's nice to walk actually. As long as I don't show up to work sweating my arse off. Damn the summer heat!
You should get a Segway.
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #33
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammk View Post
Whoever told you not to let the car warm up is feeding you crap.
Doesn't it depend on HOW you let your car warm up?

Warming it up in the driveway is not the recommended way to warm up the E46 (or any car for that matter). Warming it up thru easy driving the first few miles is the correct way to warm it up (according to the owners manual).
Old 01-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #34
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksawmark View Post
You should get a Segway.
What's wrong with a RYNO?

Old 01-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #35
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

[QUOTE=Stinger9;15090442]What's wrong with a RYNO?

That is so COOL!

Last edited by HacksawMark; 01-23-2013 at 10:32 PM. Reason: ...
Old 01-24-2013, 12:55 AM   #36
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
I have a similar situation. My wife and I are within walking distance of work. So, the car does not get driven daily. But we live in the center city, and it is not well set up for those of us who do live here, even though there are a ton of people in the area. The grocery and drug stores are not within a reasonable walking distance, and are not along the train lines, which are designed to bring people from the burbs into the city for work. So, it is a 10-15 min drive to go to the stores.
One thing I do is to drive on the beltway around the city to get to the stores, rather than going through the slow downtown streets, with traffic lights at every block. I can go out for 80mph + blasts on the beltway, and jump off on the exit closest to the stores. This actually makes the trip shorter, but I am able to get the car up to running temp quickly, and burn off some of the condensation. The car is stored in an underground garage, and it never drops below freezing down there, so that helps prevent a frozen CCV.
I am concerned about this though. I have a 2001 Eclipse GT in storage, that has not been driven in 5+ years. I decided I would get it back in running condition so I can drive it on those short trips. I also want to get it running so I can begin the major rejuvenation on my e46, since I have been collecting parts for it over the last 4 years. I have almost everything you can think of replacing or improving on an e46.
So, I started reading the 3rd Gen Eclipse forums, to get up to speed on any other problem areas, and guess what I find? Numerous posts about the CCV system clogging up, especially on cars used for short trips, as well as freezing up in cold weather! So, I will have the same concerns about short trips in this car as well. It was a lot like reading these forums. They also have a lot of issues with various Check Engine Lights related to vacuum leaks. I will say that I had almost zero problems with the car during the 130k miles I put on it before I stopped driving it. The only non-maintenence part I ever had to put on it was a radiator, because the original radiator had a plastic top cap, and one night it split open right where the upper radiator hose connects. So, plastic cooling parts that rupture with age. Does that sound familiar? I was able to replace it with an all metal unit though.
But, I guess that BMW was not the only company that designed a more complex CCV system that needs more than normal amounts of attention, around 1999-2000. The Eclipse system is quite similar, with an oil seperator valve that drains back into the oil pan, and routes gases back into the intake manifold. No more $4 PCV valves any more. I understand what they were trying to do, but it has added more complexity to what was once a simple system. They also were also not the only ones to use a lot of plastics in the cooling system, that seemed to get brittle and fail with age (Of course, this is true for almost every manufacturer). Lots of bitching about that on the Eclipse forums too. So, we are not alone. Of course, the parts are a lot cheaper. It is harder to work on a V6 that sits sideways in the engine bay. You have to remove the intake manifold to get at the back 3 spark plugs. That was not a fun job.
Just my luck to have 2 high maintenance cars, and a high maintenence wife as well!

Are the next gen CCV systems better on the e9X BMW's, or, are they just as picky as the ones in the e46?
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #37
Passnu2

My Ride: Sport Wagon
I was going to install a remote start and let the car run for 5 min and then drive to help out but I keep reading mixed information on this. Im not local to any tollways and I only use the car to run to the store and drop the kids off at School. It used to see longer commutes but its just not an option anymore. If I run to the store I can deal with the heater off and just use the heated seats, but when I have to take the kids I can't not turn the heat on given the colder temps in Chicago now. I just did the full overhaul of the cooling system and the CCV and pretty much everything but with these changes now I fear these shorter drives with both cars. When I replaced my valve cover gasket everything was clean so I plan to pop it off come spring to see how things look.

My car won't see the mileage so I was going to drain the oil in 3 mos, after my change, and just eat the added cost for a fresh oil change. Rather be safe.

I read the other thread and plan to test my coolant temps also to see how stable my temps are in this short drive. The only thing I notice with the BMW is it "seems" to warm up faster then my wife's car so I have been using this more then her car.
Passnu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #38
Stinger9

Some people pay no attention and consequently abuse their car in terms of very few oil changes and not even knowing about preventative maintenance.
You on the other hand are doing too much thinking about just using your car. Relax, and if you have to do another CVV system change in another 50K miles, so be it.