E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2015, 12:15 PM   #1
Morphy

My Ride: 02 325i touring
Changed OFH

OFH changed.
Idler pulley and tensioner new,
ac pulley purchased only but not fitted because thought better to get that tensioner to ? All went well .
After putting everything back together I got this ticking at the front of lump and ticking towards the back. (Definitely not knocking).
I used the c110 diagnostic gadget to get a few ideas of what's going on and a bit of data.

Codes: according to c110
32 auto aircon unit
41 rear speed sensor
12 basic control unit dme
81 ews control unit iii
11 rmfd basic control unit egs
54 instruments combination uncoded
30 switch unit fog lamp

None of this shows on dash warning.

Data available :
Solenoid valve intake manifold DISA not active
Secondary pump not active
solenoid valve secondary not active
Vanos exhaust d pos -105.5
Exhaustion -102.2
Actual pos -105.7

Remember. With the OFH leak the car sound smooooth ?

I suspect vanos, water pump pulley and ac tensioner causing issue.
Will get vid uploaded ASAP Will be checking all the sensors unplugged during ofh refit also

Last edited by Morphy; 01-28-2015 at 04:17 PM. Reason: add audio and visual update for more assitance
Morphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:34 PM   #2
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Sounds like you forgot to plug some things back in.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:46 PM   #3
Morphy

Amazing. My mechanic came round and stuck his screwdriver here and there and says. Yeah there's a little noise from the new bearing but nothing major ?? (Ina brand)
The noise I thought was by the vanos is Infact not from there at all.. Using his screwdriver technique it sounded like it was running quite smooth. I was like so what's the noise. He said sounds like induction. But can't tell from where (it's dark now).
I'll take it in tomorrow and have a look but nothing to worry about I don't think

Then we closed the bonnet and as I went to turn off the engine I remembered the 'metal scraping noise' I heard upon shut down.

Woah I said. This was the other thing that's new.
I lifted the bonnet and turned off the engine, he heard the noise. Opened the air box and asked me to turn on and off again and sure enough the metal scrape turned to a flipping squeak ??

I can't fault his conclusion.

I still think it's tappy at the front but that could be the water pump pulley or the other tensioner right ?

So.
Do I get those bits and get him to fit them ? For peace of mind (money is tight)
Or let him find the leak and fix only ?

I said about run on with the accelerator too and he says that will happen if inducting ? (Wasn't sure about that ?).

Be at PC shortly I'll add the vid.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:48 PM   #4
Morphy

Oh. And I have the passenger footwell leak I have read lots about. I do see the windscreen cowl is a little tatty and can get one for 48.
But if door is the problem would rather sort that first. But the engine started so I'm focused on that now