E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
pancakes

My Ride: BMW M, VW GTI, BIKE
Thumbs Up waiter refuses to serve customers who insult special-needs child :)

apparently a special-needs kid was making noises at a restaraunt... another family complained, and after being moved to a further table, the waiter overheard them say "Special needs children need to be special somewhere else".

He decided he could not serve them.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...--finance.html
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
I like this. I find it utterly disgusting when people make fun of people with special needs

^Driving this car makes me a homosexual
2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
Blueandwhite85

My Ride: E46
Good for that waiter. Those people should be placed in a separate area for their intolerance.

Last edited by Blueandwhite85; 01-26-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Blueandwhite85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Sounds like the ignorant customers are the ones who really went full retard

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

My Ride: manual stl gry 330i
Good stuff.....
Old 01-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
limpiabota809

My Ride: 330 XI
Nice
Old 01-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
Mr.Jack

My Ride: M3
Having an autistic niece, this kind of stuff infuriates me. She's 5 and causes a commotion at times, but when she is on her iPad she is pretty content. Luckily we have experienced nothing but great people while out ^^
Mr.Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
AmazingNutz
Banned User

My Ride: carpet
I understand where both sides are coming from. But sometimes when I go out to eat I like to eat in peace so I hate being seated next to loud obnoxious people. I'd curse them out silently to myself or people I'm with. We all do it.

It just so happens that they were heard by the waiter. There was no need for him to blow it out of proportion and not serve them. I'd spit in their food instead of making a big scene out of it. Looks like the waiter just wanted his "good deed" to be notice.

Edit: did not read full story. Opinion was based on what was provided.
Sent from my G6

Last edited by AmazingNutz; 01-26-2013 at 05:56 PM.
AmazingNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Going to play devil's advocate here. When a person goes to a restaurant, he expects to get served well in an environment that is pleasant. A screaming child makes a restaurant environment unpleasant. Now, the question here is to what extent was the special needs child acting out? If it was just a normal level or noise and conversation, then I can understand the situation and I think we can all agree that the complaining family was probably out of line. However, if the child was making noise beyond the norm and generally being a distraction to other guests, then I think the situation is very different.

How many times have we all been in restaurants, movie theaters, airplanes, etc. where there is a child making a ton of noise and the parent simply ignores it? "Ohhhhh, It's a baby! What can I do about it??". What can you do about it? Take your child and leave or don't bring it at all. I'm sorry, I'm tired of PC stuff. We are all told that we need to accept the circumstance of a child crying and making noise in these places because that's what they do. We're expected to grit our teeth and get through it. No. That's ridiculous.

I have all the sympathy in the world for parents of special needs children, and for the children themselves. But parents need to realize that they have no business imposing a burden on others trying to enjoy a day/night out. If the child in this case was being obnoxious to other customers, the waiter took an incorrect position and so did the restaurant.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
pancakes, stop posting yahoo news articles. Nobody gives a fuck
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #11
AmazingNutz
Banned User

My Ride: carpet
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Going to play devil's advocate here. When a person goes to a restaurant, he expects to get served well in an environment that is pleasant. A screaming child makes a restaurant environment unpleasant. Now, the question here is to what extent was the special needs child acting out? If it was just a normal level or noise and conversation, then I can understand the situation and I think we can all agree that the complaining family was probably out of line. However, if the child was making noise beyond the norm and generally being a distraction to other guests, then I think the situation is very different.

How many times have we all been in restaurants, movie theaters, airplanes, etc. where there is a child making a ton of noise and the parent simply ignores it? "Ohhhhh, It's a baby! What can I do about it??". What can you do about it? Take your child and leave or don't bring it at all. I'm sorry, I'm tired of PC stuff. We are all told that we need to accept the circumstance of a child crying and making noise in these places because that's what they do. We're expected to grit our teeth and get through it. No. That's ridiculous.

I have all the sympathy in the world for parents of special needs children, and for the children themselves. But parents need to realize that they have no business imposing a burden on others trying to enjoy a day/night out. If the child in this case was being obnoxious to other customers, the waiter took an incorrect position and so did the restaurant.
+1

Sent from my G6
AmazingNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #12
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
Quote:
going to play devil's advocate here. When a person goes to a restaurant, he expects to get served well in an environment that is pleasant. A screaming child makes a restaurant environment unpleasant. Now, the question here is to what extent was the special needs child acting out? If it was just a normal level or noise and conversation, then i can understand the situation and i think we can all agree that the complaining family was probably out of line. However, if the child was making noise beyond the norm and generally being a distraction to other guests, then i think the situation is very different.

How many times have we all been in restaurants, movie theaters, airplanes, etc. Where there is a child making a ton of noise and the parent simply ignores it? "ohhhhh, it's a baby! What can i do about it??". What can you do about it? Take your child and leave or don't bring it at all. I'm sorry, i'm tired of pc stuff. We are all told that we need to accept the circumstance of a child crying and making noise in these places because that's what they do. We're expected to grit our teeth and get through it. No. That's ridiculous.

Last edited by mistrzmiasta; 01-26-2013 at 07:43 PM.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #13
Five_seveN

My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
Coming from someone with a lot of serving experience (one regular was retarded and the other down syndrome), the waiter did the right thing

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #14
pancakes

Quote:

"Milo wasn't being bad, he was just talking and making little noises,"

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Cyrus View Post
pancakes, stop posting yahoo news articles. Nobody gives a fuck
i shan't

actually what's funny is that the first time I heard of this, it was via Fox news... so I had to find another outlet just so the thread didn't get derailed by lair/dmax.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #15
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakes View Post
"Milo wasn't being bad, he was just talking and making little noises,"

Ohh please, that's a quote of the waiter. Those type of quotes, especially in a news story, need to be taken with a grain of salt.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #16
pancakes

Quote:
Ohh please, that's a quote of the waiter. Those type of quotes, especially in a news story, need to be taken with a grain of salt.
as should your hypothetical that the kid was "screaming"
Old 01-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #17
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:

Anybody can and should get served in a restaurant. If they don't like the atmosphere, they are free to leave. Sounds like these folks were just shallow and your post is making you sound shallow. It's one thing to be annoyed and kept to yourself, it's another thing to be ignorant and mock someone who has special needs. Tell me if this was your child, wouldn't you want to go out every now and then? Is this child not entitled to go out and enjoy the same restaurant that your or I or anybody else can enjoy? The waiter did the right thing.
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #18
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakes View Post
i shan't

actually what's funny is that the first time I heard of this, it was via Fox news... so I had to find another outlet just so the thread didn't get derailed by lair/dmax.
Now you have to deal with me.
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #19
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:

There's a difference between being bothered and commenting on the situation and insulting the child's condition.
These people did the latter. Anyone in the world has the right to feel annoyed and also complain about it. However, making a smug joke about a mental disability is out of line no matter what the situation is.

If these people would've said "that child is too loud and I'm feeling uncomfortable because of it" and the waiter refused to serve them, it would be different. They took it to a personal, and insulting level.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #20
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
I've thrown customers out for that. I had a couple (white eurotrash) sit next to a black couple once making nasty comments to each other about the black couple. The black couple didn't complain, but the waiter heard them, came over to me, told me the story, and I told them to GTFO (and yes, I said it just like that.)