E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #61
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
323i + S54 = automatic subframe shears.

If you're doing a swap, try to find a 330 engine. Reinforce your subframe. If it has no cracks yet, use the epoxy method. If it has cracks you'll have to repair and weld. After that, just put in the engine and be happy. It'll mate right up to your 5 speed.

An S54 is a bit too ambitious IMO. It also costs more than your car is worth. Hell, a 330 engine is half the price of your car.

Last edited by WDE46; 01-25-2013 at 01:16 PM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #62
erich330ci

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Unbefreakinlievable fatsoup!!! Gotta be one of a kind. Beautiful.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #63
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
you guys realize that link is from a forum member here, right?

JeppeJ.. he has a 100 page build thread, i posted the link in the first page if i'm not mistaken
JJR4884 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #64
metal massager

My Ride: frankenbi///Mmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastsoup View Post
It can be done...if you have the coin and lots of time. I won't say that it hasn't crossed my mind. Beautiful end result!

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/...rt-finish.html
That's JeppeJ's build thread and all his pics!!!!!!! I hope they are not passing it off as something they did!!!???

Last edited by metal massager; 01-25-2013 at 01:47 PM. Reason: credit given to JeppeJ in that link!!!! thats good, he deserves it
metal massager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #65
fastsoup

My Ride: currently seeking
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal massager View Post
That's JeppeJ's build thread and all his pics!!!!!!! I hope they are not passing it off as something they did!!!???
Dude, relax...I am not saying that's what I did, all I said is that it can be done.
fastsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #66
fastsoup

My Ride: currently seeking
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyF1 View Post
you guys realize that link is from a forum member here, right?

JeppeJ.. he has a 100 page build thread, i posted the link in the first page if i'm not mistaken
Sorry buddy, I looked before I posted the link, I must have missed you on the first page.

Either way, such a sexy beast.

Last edited by fastsoup; 01-25-2013 at 01:46 PM.
fastsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #67
metal massager

My Ride: frankenbi///Mmer
Didn't think you were saying that you did it, but looked like the link was trying to say they did it...thankfully after all the pics it states they just condensed a thread here
Old 01-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #68
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeamer00 View Post
how much would it be all together to get and put in an M3 engine?
my guess is that after paying for an S54 in good condition, you would most likely shell out somewhere around $6k and that's a good bargain S54. Then after paying for additional components (a new transmission compatible to the S54, diff, clutch, wiring harnesses) and labor to get the engine to work in your 323i, I'd guess you will shell out close to $20k or so... but that's just a guess. I know that you will end up shelling a lot of money and my guess is that you still have a lot of research to even contemplate a major project like this.

Quote:
would i need new transmission?
Your 323i has over 215k on it, what do you think? Adding additional horse power to an already aged transmission and diff will tear them apart that much sooner. You will also need a new clutch as well. you can add a few thousand dollars to the bill on top of that. Also look at replacing your GUIBO and centerline bearing while you're there.... if you don't know what I'm talking about then I suggest you use the search button to find out.

Quote:
and how much would it be to suprcharge it?
It depends on which engine you plan to supercharge.... a 323i engine would run you $4,845 just for the kit from VF Engineering and this was done from a very simple google search (took me less than a minute to find this answer). If you're going to use a 330 engine then the price goes up obviously, in this case to $8,495 (ESS TS2 Twin Screw supercharger kit).

Quote:
my engine is at 215k and thats why i would like to replace it.
If you decide to drop an S54 motor then the cost will go up even more....you have to consider most of the systems inside your 323i are obsolete and not compatible with the S54. The ECU, for example will have to be replaced. The engine wiring will all have to be replaced.

In this case, I chose not to include links as you should have no problem doing the research yourself. I would suggest using google to verify the cost of supercharger systems yourself but it is not hard to do. Sourcing an S54 is something you should think about doing carefully since you have obviously shown lack of adequate knowledge to do this type of project. Just because you might be able to source an S54 for under $4k doesn't mean that you got an ///M engine for a steal. That engine will be in serious need of rebuilding and overhauling which will run you over $10k to get it perfect. I have mentioned several things that I seriously hope you will think about.

Yes, I used to have a '99 323i and modded it but when it came to performance I just chose to buy my ///M instead. I saved more money by doing that and got a 330i ZHP for my daily to boot

Whichever way you decide to go I wish you good luck and really hope I don't find a thread by you that you can't make this project work. Take a look at Jeppe's epic build thread for guidance. He doesn't go into too much detail regarding exactly the cost of his project but he did his build just as good as BMW would have done. His E46 ///M3 sedan is, in my opinion, a true BMW E46 ///M sedan. With all that said, yes you can convert your 323i sedan to an ///M3 sedan but it will take plenty of time, patience, research, and money to do this type of project right.

Anyway, good luck!

One final thing to add...if you do this project and complete it, I would love to see and hear about the results of your project
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l Status Gruppe one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets

Last edited by cak323i; 01-25-2013 at 02:13 PM.
cak323i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #69
erich330ci

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastsoup View Post
Dude, relax...I am not saying that's what I did, all I said is that it can be done.
Sorry JeppeJ!!! Was looking at fastsoup's post and thought it was his. Sorry about that. Beautiful conversion. My only question is, exactly where can I find a "donor M3"?
Old 01-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #70
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Classifieds here, ebay, craigslist, auto recyclers. Be resourceful.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #71
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erod225 View Post
I will advise & share my experience to my swap, do what makes you feel happy. Having an E46 m3 sedan is truly far and few, stay away from impressive. Pm me for more info...
Here you go, this guy has an M3 engine swapped in. Ask him about it.

Btw what's the issue with Impressive Auto now? You were all praise before..
Old 01-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #72
theOCHO

My Ride: 330i ZHP 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cak323i View Post
This and will take time and lots of money!
Wrong.

This M3 conversion is going to end up costing the OP $15 ... and will end up with a misaligned M sticker on the rear deck.

No leather/no cold weather package/no sports package
theOCHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #73
college46

My Ride: Alpine White
this thread should be a redirect for why people should use the search button instead of creating a new thread for every idea that pops into there head.

Tags
m3