E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #21
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoooty View Post
Thank you so much for all the help, I think my main problem is not having the smarts, or being too lazy to track my calories, protein, and fat intake. If you can help me understand it and how to do it easily then maybe i'll start doing that.

Quick question, is there any reason why I shouldn't drink three teas a day? One in the morning to wake up, one a couple hours later before the rest of my classes, and the last one with dinner that is decaffeinated?
Download "myfitnesspal" on your phone. It's great to track and you can load custom recipes, scan barcodes etc.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the tea. I just started drinking it about 2 times a day recently.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #22
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Thank you so much for all the help, I think my main problem is not having the smarts, or being too lazy to track my calories, protein, and fat intake. If you can help me understand it and how to do it easily then maybe i'll start doing that.

Quick question, is there any reason why I shouldn't drink three teas a day? One in the morning to wake up, one a couple hours later before the rest of my classes, and the last one with dinner that is decaffeinated?
Nope as long as the caffeine isn't giving you issues. And as long as you aren't added a teaspoon of sugar etc.

I've spent a lot of time researching and learning about the intricacies of diet, nutrition etc. and I feel like it was worth it when it helps myself / others. I simplify complex data / analysis for a living, so I can definitely simplify a diet that will work. The thing about calorie tracking for awhile is that it sets you up for life. I know that an 8 oz chicken breast has 68g of protein and is 320 calories... etc. I can eyeball a plate and know how much it is for the most part. I consider it a life skill for living an effort free healthy existence.

If you have an iphone, theres an awesome app called "myfitnesspal". It makes tracking effortless, I have a daily log for pretty much every meal I've ate over the past 3 months and I don't find it burdens me. My girlfriend has lost 8 pounds using it and just understanding how portion sizes affect weight loss, and she is about 2-3 lbs away from some abs showing through.

If you don't want to calorie track, you'll be less "efficient" (if you are eating too much / too little you find out the hard way) but its still easy to get results.

When I get some time today I will give you an example meal plan that you can substitute different foods for variety but keep the generic structure.

Also, if you feel like you can not eat from dinner time until lunch time the next day (green tea in morning is fine) let me know, there are "advanced" methods that will accelerate weight loss and preserve muscle mass.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #23
dabears

Quote:
I am using a scale that measures my body weight, body fat, and water %.
Good news is that those have a variance of +/- 5%, and depends on your water weight, they are good at tracking the CHANGE in body fat though once you know a set water weight / body fat combo.

Example for me:

I know a good water weight for comparison purposes is 56.6% for myself. So when I measure my bodyfat, I add or subtract the body fat % to the water weight to equal that amount, and I can tell the +/- change I've experienced.

Pick a day once a week to weigh yourself, first thing in the morning & after you take a piss. Track progress this way
Old 01-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #24
domcreates
Banned User

My Ride: Jet Black 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Whoops, thanks for noticing. I meant eating them with a protein source and NOT a fat source.

You want to limit your carb intake to 100g a day or less to ensure your insulin sensitivity is high, and time those 100g a day to be the most efficient. Insulin sensitivity is highest after a workout, followed by first thing in the morning, and then preworkout (you'll use them in the workout itself, but for fat loss I don't recommend this).

If you combine carbs and fat together combined with low insulin sensitivity, you are providing dietary fat + an insulin spike at the same time = fat storage. Think of a sugary donut etc.

You want to combine fats with proteins, as the fats help break down the amino acids in the protein, flooding it to your muscles instead of just sh*tting it out.

So an example workout day for someone who eats breakfast and workouts after 5

Breakfast:
Mix of whole eggs and whites
Bacon (your choice, I love it)
Fruit

Lunch:
Fatty cut of meat (Chicken thigh, fish, ground beef)
Fibrous vegetables

Post Workout:
Couple scoops whey protein and chocolate almond milk or regular milk

Dinner:
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
Fibrous Vegetables
Potato or Rice
When drinking milk should I get fat free? I need a different lunch idea because most of the time I don't have time to make chicken, and I don't always have time to cook ahead. Know what I mean?

Should I continue the casein everymorning and night?
domcreates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #25
DylloS

Quote:
When drinking milk should I get fat free? I need a different lunch idea because most of the time I don't have time to make chicken, and I don't always have time to cook ahead. Know what I mean?

Should I continue the casein everymorning and night?
I would continue the casien. I would probably drop the milk entirely. Go buy a rotisserie chicken and destroy it. "not having time" is a terrible excuse.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #26
Gheybe

My Ride: C6 Z06
subbed.

My discipline for eating habits is completely absurd.
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #27
domcreates
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Download "myfitnesspal" on your phone. It's great to track and you can load custom recipes, scan barcodes etc.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the tea. I just started drinking it about 2 times a day recently.
Quote:
Nope as long as the caffeine isn't giving you issues. And as long as you aren't added a teaspoon of sugar etc.

I've spent a lot of time researching and learning about the intricacies of diet, nutrition etc. and I feel like it was worth it when it helps myself / others. I simplify complex data / analysis for a living, so I can definitely simplify a diet that will work. The thing about calorie tracking for awhile is that it sets you up for life. I know that an 8 oz chicken breast has 68g of protein and is 320 calories... etc. I can eyeball a plate and know how much it is for the most part. I consider it a life skill for living an effort free healthy existence.

If you have an iphone, theres an awesome app called "myfitnesspal". It makes tracking effortless, I have a daily log for pretty much every meal I've ate over the past 3 months and I don't find it burdens me. My girlfriend has lost 8 pounds using it and just understanding how portion sizes affect weight loss, and she is about 2-3 lbs away from some abs showing through.

If you don't want to calorie track, you'll be less "efficient" (if you are eating too much / too little you find out the hard way) but its still easy to get results.

When I get some time today I will give you an example meal plan that you can substitute different foods for variety but keep the generic structure.

Also, if you feel like you can not eat from dinner time until lunch time the next day (green tea in morning is fine) let me know, there are "advanced" methods that will accelerate weight loss and preserve muscle mass.
Quote:
Good news is that those have a variance of +/- 5%, and depends on your water weight, they are good at tracking the CHANGE in body fat though once you know a set water weight / body fat combo.

Example for me:

I know a good water weight for comparison purposes is 56.6% for myself. So when I measure my bodyfat, I add or subtract the body fat % to the water weight to equal that amount, and I can tell the +/- change I've experienced.

Pick a day once a week to weigh yourself, first thing in the morning & after you take a piss. Track progress this way
downloading now. Ok, every friday morning I'll use the scale and post here what it says.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #28
domcreates
Banned User

Quote:
I would continue the casien. I would probably drop the milk entirely. Go buy a rotisserie chicken and destroy it. "not having time" is a terrible excuse.
I'm at college haha if that helps my excuse. Not just taking classes but also on the swim team and working a lifeguarding job. But also i'm buying the cheapest stuff I can so won't that chicken be more expensive?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #29
domcreates
Banned User

I'm filling in my info on the app and it's asking for current weight and goal weight. What should I put for goal weight?

Because I would like to be 220lbs of muscle haha but I don't want to put 220lbs and the app decides to have me eat more than I should and i'll gain fat. What should I put?
Old 01-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #30
dabears

Quote:
I'm filling in my info on the app and it's asking for current weight and goal weight. What should I put for goal weight?

Because I would like to be 220lbs of muscle haha but I don't want to put 220lbs and the app decides to have me eat more than I should and i'll gain fat. What should I put?
Ignore the app, I don't think its good for that aspect.

What is your current height, weight, age?
Old 01-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #31
domcreates
Banned User

Quote:
Ignore the app, I don't think its good for that aspect.

What is your current height, weight, age?
6 foot
193 lbs
21 tomorrow

Ok so i'll just put in some stuff for the app

Last edited by domcreates; 01-24-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #32
DylloS

Quote:
I'm at college haha if that helps my excuse. Not just taking classes but also on the swim team and working a lifeguarding job. But also i'm buying the cheapest stuff I can so won't that chicken be more expensive?

You have to decide man. You need meats. So figure out a way to get them. chicken thighs are cheap but have more fat.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #33
domcreates
Banned User

Quote:
You have to decide man. You need meats. So figure out a way to get them. chicken thighs are cheap but have more fat.
But isn't it a necessary fat? I'm confused. Why don't I just get the chicken that i'm getting and eat it for dinner and eat something else for lunch? But you guys tell me, you know more. I'm just trying to make it work for my schedule.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #34
domcreates
Banned User

ok I set up the app, add me as friends? my username is domcreates

Edit: heading to class

Last edited by domcreates; 01-24-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #35
DylloS

Quote:
But isn't it a necessary fat? I'm confused. Why don't I just get the chicken that i'm getting and eat it for dinner and eat something else for lunch? But you guys tell me, you know more. I'm just trying to make it work for my schedule.
yea it is but your main goal is to stay a little under your maintenance calories so if you eat it a lot you'll get more calories.

Quote:
ok I set up the app, add me as friends? my username is domcreates

Edit: heading to class
I do need to use it more. I'll add you.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #36
domcreates
Banned User

Ok so it says I should get 2100 calories a day. Sound about right?
Old 01-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #37
DylloS

Quote:
Ok so it says I should get 2100 calories a day. Sound about right?
Plug your info in here. http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Subtract 500 cals and work with that for a bit and see what happens.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #38
dabears

You are able to eat a fk load of calories dude ... lucky you!

Here you go, try and follow this as best you can and report back. If its too complicated for your lifestyle, then changes can be made.

Workout 3 days a week, ensuring you have included all the big compound lifts at minimum (bench/deadlift/squat/press) and add in some pullups/chinups/pushups/dips. You don't need a bodybuilding type split. If you want example routines just ask. This leaves 4 days for fat loss.

Workout days = 2600 calories, with an emphasis on quality protein sources and carbs, while limiting fat.

On workout days, eat chicken breast or fish for your protein source for lunch & dinner (if you buy it frozen its cheaper) with your current breakfast, and add in a protein shake post workout with some simple carbs from chocolate milk or chocolate almond milk etc (almond milk is delicious and doesn't come with the added fat) post workout. Include vegetables like spinach, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. with your lunch and dinner (any kind of salad with oil/vinegar based dressing is great), and add in a baked potato / mashed sweet potato or rice with your dinner.

Rest days (the fat burning days) = 2100 calories, with an attempt to limit carbs to salads/vegetables/fruit only... allowing for more fatty types of meat / food to be consumed.

These are the days where you can enjoy things like bacon, whole eggs, fatty fish, ribeye steaks, dairy, hummus, etc. Replace the potato with your dinner with a salad (I love greek salad) and don't have a protein shake. Chicken can become beef/fish or chicken thighs, pork chops etc. Try and keep all meat cuts to 8 oz or less. By eliminating the protein shake and carbs, you will easily be 2100 calories or under.

If this is too confusing (cycling the way you eat) let me know.

For cheat meals, limit them to workout days. If you want to go out drinking, limit your protein source to chicken, consume little to no fat, and workout that day. Limit drinking to 1 day a week. We all stray from the diet, its just doing it in the best way possible that stops it from hurting you.

Notice the lack of cardio? It isn't required, but if you want to add it so you can eat more (especially things like pasta) go ahead. I prefer to just cut out the food and play sports instead of running on a treadmill etc.

Edit: beat me to it, but the workout days are important. Its easy to lose weight, but its not easy to maximize fat loss and keep muscle mass. Hence why you eat to maintenance on workout days!

Last edited by dabears; 01-24-2013 at 11:51 AM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #39
DylloS

why do you suggest cycling? Anything other than needed energy from the carbs on workout days? And since on off days we will pretty much not use a lot of carbs and turn it to fat?

Last edited by DylloS; 01-24-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #40
dabears

Quote:
why do you suggest cycling? Anything other than needed energy from the carbs on workout days?
maximizes insulin sensitivity, something I'm a huge believer in. (With carb cycling) The more insulin sensitive you are, the leaner you are.

eating to maintenance on workout days allows you to repair / retain current muscle mass, and limiting workout days to 3 days only allows for 4 days of fat loss per week (slightly less than 1 lb a week).

I wouldn't recommend this for an overweight person (or majority of chicks), but for someone who has spent significant time building muscle mass its important to use techniques like this to avoid the one step forward two steps back scenarios that can crop up from a calorie deficit.

my gf doesnt worry about macros and just makes sure she is at a calorie deficit whenever possible, and its helping her get very lean. If I followed the same thing however, I would lose both fat and muscle... something I'm not very interested in!

I actually cycle calories/macros with my ~3000 calories / workout day bulk (2000 on rest days / limit carbs), and I attribute that to the fact I have only gained about 1.5 lbs of fat over past few months. Its just harder to adhere to (and slower) than your typical bulk, if you look at my fitnesspal diary you'll see I track everything to make sure.

Edit: if you looked at my weekends, you'd see plenty of binge drinking and hangover fast foods, but with some smart strategy I've incorporated the feel good stuff in my diet without paying the penalty for the most part

2nd edit: yeah solly excess dietary carbs that aren't needed will just funnel dietary fat into bodyfat stores, if someone didn't do any exercise they would see great results from a low carb diet since they have practically no use for them. I don't think its any coincidence that mother nature doesn't have many natural carbs besides fruit/vegetables.

Last edited by dabears; 01-24-2013 at 12:05 PM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote