E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #41
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
maximizes insulin sensitivity, something I'm a huge believer in. (With carb cycling) The more insulin sensitive you are, the leaner you are.

eating to maintenance on workout days allows you to repair / retain current muscle mass, and limiting workout days to 3 days only allows for 4 days of fat loss per week (slightly less than 1 lb a week).

I wouldn't recommend this for an overweight person (or majority of chicks), but for someone who has spent significant time building muscle mass its important to use techniques like this to avoid the one step forward two steps back scenarios that can crop up from a calorie deficit.

my gf doesnt worry about macros and just makes sure she is at a calorie deficit whenever possible, and its helping her get very lean. If I followed the same thing however, I would lose both fat and muscle... something I'm not very interested in!

I actually cycle calories/macros with my ~3000 calories / workout day bulk (2000 on rest days / limit carbs), and I attribute that to the fact I have only gained about 1.5 lbs of fat over past few months. Its just harder to adhere to (and slower) than your typical bulk, if you look at my fitnesspal diary you'll see I track everything to make sure.
Got it. That's what I figured. I believe there is some truth to it too. If I'm trying to gain would you suggest I just eat the same pretty much every day. I have just been making sure I eat a lot of food that isn't too too bad for me.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #42
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Got it. That's what I figured. I believe there is some truth to it too. If I'm trying to gain would you suggest I just eat the same pretty much every day. I have just been making sure I eat a lot of food that isn't too too bad for me.
i'm a big believer in whatever works for you the best (since you are actually dedicated this applies to you). If you are fat and lazy, you probably have a million excuses and what "works for you" hasn't been.

If its simple to just eat to 3000 calories a day, go for it. You are active enough with the conditioning type workouts & sports that it won't have a huge effect.

Its hard enough to get that level of clean food as it is, but its not that hard (I find) to eat like that on workout days (I workout 5 days a week) and then spend 2 days eating low carb, high fat and protein around 2500 or less calories. You'll still see significant strength gains! If you only worked out 3 days a week, you would probably need to add in more calories on rest days to ensure you are at a surplus for the week.

I used the opposite ideology when making my bulk plan, when you are cutting you can help preserve muscle mass by eating to maintenance, when I am bulking I figured I would eat at a slight deficit on rest days to help offset fat gain! Made sense to me
Old 01-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #43
DylloS

Quote:
i'm a big believer in whatever works for you the best (since you are actually dedicated this applies to you). If you are fat and lazy, you probably have a million excuses and what "works for you" hasn't been.

If its simple to just eat to 3000 calories a day, go for it. You are active enough with the conditioning type workouts & sports that it won't have a huge effect.

Its hard enough to get that level of clean food as it is, but its not that hard (I find) to eat like that on workout days (I workout 5 days a week) and then spend 2 days eating low carb, high fat and protein around 2500 or less calories. You'll still see significant strength gains! If you only worked out 3 days a week, you would probably need to add in more calories on rest days to ensure you are at a surplus for the week.

I used the opposite ideology when making my bulk plan, when you are cutting you can help preserve muscle mass by eating to maintenance, when I am bulking I figured I would eat at a slight deficit on rest days to help offset fat gain! Made sense to me

I've toned down the conditioning workouts a lot since i'm trying to gain now but I have just trying to eat as much as I can. I am still slacking a bit. I hardly eat breakfast and rarely drink my PB milk and casein shake before bed. I'm missing out on a lot right there.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #44
dabears

Quote:
I've toned down the conditioning workouts a lot since i'm trying to gain now but I have just trying to eat as much as I can. I am still slacking a bit. I hardly eat breakfast and rarely drink my PB milk and casein shake before bed. I'm missing out on a lot right there.
Yeah that could literally be the difference between treading water and making gains. I didn't think I could get 3000 clean calories in just 2 meals + a protein shake... thought I'd have to ditch IF and add in breakfast... but so far so good. The calorie tracker is huge, it really keeps you honest...I think it has been the single biggest difference between my current bulk and past ones. I've used it enough now that its effortless.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #45
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
eggs and rice are pretty cheap and easy

and better options

use ezekiel bread

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 01-24-2013 at 01:29 PM.
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #46
DylloS

Quote:
Yeah that could literally be the difference between treading water and making gains. I didn't think I could get 3000 clean calories in just 2 meals + a protein shake... thought I'd have to ditch IF and add in breakfast... but so far so good. The calorie tracker is huge, it really keeps you honest...I think it has been the single biggest difference between my current bulk and past ones. I've used it enough now that its effortless.
I think, never mind, I know I am kind of treading water with what I'm doing. I am getting stronger but I want to get bigger so I will be drinking my shake tonight. That's at least 600 cals right there.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #47
DILLA

My Ride: 330i ZHP/VW Jetta
Quote:
I think, never mind, I know I am kind of treading water with what I'm doing. I am getting stronger but I want to get bigger so I will be drinking my shake tonight. That's at least 600 cals right there.
Can't skip out on the night time shake, you have to stay anabolic! I always am so tired I almost don't make my night time shake, but I always force myself and I usually fall asleep so much quicker because I'm full.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #48
dabears

Quote:
Yeah I know for me the difference between making gains and eating to maintenance is my protein shake, let alone the benefits it gives post workout.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #49
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLA View Post
Can't skip out on the night time shake, you have to stay anabolic! I always am so tired I almost don't make my night time shake, but I always force myself and I usually fall asleep so much quicker because I'm full.
It literally takes me like 4 minutes to throw sh1t in a magic bullet and drink it. It's 100% laziness. I'll make the gf aware tonight and have her get me in line lol.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #50
DILLA

My Ride: 330i ZHP/VW Jetta
Quote:
It literally takes me like 4 minutes to throw sh1t in a magic bullet and drink it. It's 100% laziness. I'll make the gf aware tonight and have her get me in line lol.
Better yet, just have her make it. Lol

Magic bullet is the only way to go though. I love mine.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #51
Silversixspeed

My Ride: Too many to list
Where do you guys get your protein shakes from?
Silversixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #52
domcreates
Banned User

My Ride: Jet Black 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
eggs and rice are pretty cheap and easy

and better options

use ezekiel bread
Better options than what?
domcreates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #53
domcreates
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversixspeed View Post
Where do you guys get your protein shakes from?
I go bodybuilding.com
Old 01-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #54
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLA View Post
Better yet, just have her make it. Lol

Magic bullet is the only way to go though. I love mine.
she makes the kale shakes in the morning. lol
Old 01-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #55
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
Based on the way you currently look OP, I'm more concerned with HOW you're working out (..and what your workout "program" looks like....plug for dwass ...) than I am about your diet at this point. You have slightly visible abs already, and you're leaner than most. I don't personally think you should diet/cut at this point, but that's MY opinion. You stand to gain more - and lean out - by changing your gym approach.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 01-24-2013 at 02:17 PM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #56
domcreates
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Based on the way you currently look OP, I'm more concerned with HOW you're working out (..and what your workout "program" looks like....plug for dwass ...) than I am about your diet at this point. You have slightly visible abs already, and you're leaner than most. I don't personally think you should diet/cut at this point, but that's MY opinion. You stand to gain more - and lean out - by changing your gym approach.
I haven't been doing anything steady but from now on I'm going to do arms and legs one day and then chest, back and shoulders the next
Old 01-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #57
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoooty View Post
I haven't been doing anything steady but from now on I'm going to do arms and legs one day and then chest, back and shoulders the next
What goal(s) are you trying to achieve? I think you need to revamp your approach.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 01-24-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #58
domcreates
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
What goal(s) are you trying to achieve? I think you need to revamp your approach.
Just want to get more muscle but also have a 6 pack lol
Old 01-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #59
M3Inline6

Quote:
Just want to get more muscle but also have a 6 pack lol

Well, you're going to have to lift big and eat big. It's not for the faint of heart! I also think that you need a better workout split (..at least 4 days). If you're going to follow a traditional body building split, devote an entire day to chest, back (..upper/lower), shoulders and legs. Don't waste time devoting an entire workout to arms. Add biceps/triceps into your chest, back or shoulder days.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 01-24-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #60
DylloS

Quote:
nothing steady and looks better than me after a year of hard work lol. I hate you haha