E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #81
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by domcreates View Post
Ok so if I don't get enough carbs then I could be losing muscle?
My simplified (hopefully) explanation of how to avoid muscle loss when cutting. From now on I'll try and include cliff notes for those not interested in the details.

From the hierarchy of importance for diet:

1. Calorie intake vs expenditure controls whether you gain or lose weight.
2. The macronutrient composition of your diet (carbs/fats/protein) controls the ratio of how much fat vs muscle is lost/gained.
3. Nutrient timing, for the non-athlete, is a very distant third.

Cliffs:

Follow #1 only, and you'll lose weight (muscle & fat)
Follow #1 & #2, you'll lose weight and the majority of it will be fat
Follow All 3, and you'll be even more efficient, possibly gaining some strength while losing fat

1) If you eat at a calorie deficit everyday, your body needs to make up that deficit from "itself". This comes in the form of fat and muscle tissue (Weight Loss). You control that by utilizing the strategy in bullet point 2.

2) Eating a diet high in protein supplies the muscles with the protein they require to sustain themselves, when combined with training. You eat to maintenance on training days to allow your muscles to remain intact and repair with sufficient calories/nutrients.

You also eat carbs on training days to assist with your heavy workouts, and avoid pairing them with dietary fat to avoid body fat storage from eating around maintenance.

You reduce carbs on rest days to maximize fat burning and to avoid the storage of the increased fat intake you replace them with. This also increases "insulin sensitivity", which means your body will utilize carbs more effectively (to fuel your workouts, not add to your stomach fat). You also eat at a calorie deficit on rest days to ensure you are burning almost entirely body fat.

Protein stays high always, at least 1g per lb (so at least 190g+ a day for you).

3) Nutrient timing is important for us, really the only "timing" for meals you need to focus on without getting too anal is the post workout period, a protein shake with some simple carbs does wonders to maximize muscle retention on a cut, and muscle creation on a bulk.

Hope that helps
Old 01-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #82
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Ok so if I don't get enough carbs then I could be losing muscle?
I think lack of protein would affect that more.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #83
domcreates
Banned User

My Ride: Jet Black 1999 323i
That was a lot easier to understand. If I list my daily schedule for the week, and the foods I have, would you be willing to help me decide when to eat certain food and how much?

My daily schedule is always the same since i'm in school.
domcreates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #84
domcreates
Banned User

Monday

work from 12-3

class from 4:10-6:40

Tuesday/Thursday

Class from 12:35-1:50 2:10-3:25 3:35-4:50

workout at 6

Wednesday/Friday

Work from 12-3

workout at 3

Saturday

Nothing

workout whenever

Sunday

work from 12-5

workout at 5
Old 01-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #85
domcreates
Banned User

workouts

tuesday

chest

wednesday

back

thursday

shoulders

friday

legs

saturday

arms

sunday

full body (compound lifts)

Last edited by domcreates; 01-28-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #86
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and Range Rover S
Quote:
workouts

tuesday

chest

wednesday

back

thursday

shoulders

friday

legs

saturday

arms

sunday

full body (compound lifts)
Dude, arms don't need their own day.
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #87
dabears

first off, did you decide if you are bulking or cutting? and I think your training program needs a lot of work, sounds like m3inline can agree
Old 01-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #88
domcreates
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Dude, arms don't need their own day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
first off, did you decide if you are bulking or cutting? and I think your training program needs a lot of work, sounds like m3inline can agree
what would you guys suggest? I don't really want to do only 3 days a week. I need to workout to feel like i'm doing something.

Dude i'm not sure what i want to do lol.............. how about just maintain and try to get bigger. But not bulking?
Old 01-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #89
dabears

Remember, rest days are just as important as workout days. You can't recover and grow stronger if you don't give your body a chance.

That being said, be more specific of your current exercises and maybe we can compact them for you / suggest improvements.

Are you ok with cycling calories / carbs & fat on different days? It doesn't need to be perfect, but I can explain a simple diet (now that you understand the basics hopefully) that will allow you to pretty much maintain your current body fat levels, and gain strength. It is slower than the traditional bulk, but comes with the limited fat gain advantage.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #90
M3Inline6

Quote:
what would you guys suggest? I don't really want to do only 3 days a week. I need to workout to feel like i'm doing something.

Dude i'm not sure what i want to do lol.............. how about just maintain and try to get bigger. But not bulking?
You need rest days. I rest 3-4 days a week. You will not grow without rest: FACT!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #91
domcreates
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Remember, rest days are just as important as workout days. You can't recover and grow stronger if you don't give your body a chance.

That being said, be more specific of your current exercises and maybe we can compact them for you / suggest improvements.

Are you ok with cycling calories / carbs & fat on different days? It doesn't need to be perfect, but I can explain a simple diet (now that you understand the basics hopefully) that will allow you to pretty much maintain your current body fat levels, and gain strength. It is slower than the traditional bulk, but comes with the limited fat gain advantage.
I'm ok with cycling as long as the meals are relatively easy to make and cheap.

Edit: I've always been told that 2 days of rest is enough?

What I usually do is pick an area of the body to workout, like my workout plan, and then workout that area until I feel good. I don't really follow reps or sets.

And my gym at school kinda sucks. The only free weights are dumbells and bars with fixed weights on the bars. There is no free bench. Just a bench with the bar attached to the structure.

I was going to workout harder until the area that i'm working out can't lift anymore that day

Last edited by domcreates; 01-28-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #92
domcreates
Banned User

I was always told that you only need 2 days of rest?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #93
M3Inline6

Quote:
I was always told that you only need 2 days of rest?
You were probably told that by:
  1. Somebody on drugs who recovers faster than normal
  2. Somebody who isn't lifting very hard
  3. Somebody who doesn't know what they are talking about

I'd say the bare minumum is two days of rest, but if you are hittin' it hard, you're going to need more rest time (..especially if you're squatting and dead lifting heavy weight).

Last edited by M3Inline6; 01-28-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #94
domcreates
Banned User

Quote:
You were probably told that by:
  1. Somebody on drugs who recovers faster than normal
  2. Somebody who isn't lifting very hard
  3. Somebody who doesn't know what they are talking about

I'd say the bare minumum is two days of rest, but if you are hittin' it hard, you're going to need more rest time.
haha ok fine, then lets keep it at 3 days of rest please? What should I do? Which body parts which day?

Edit: But I do feel like I recover fast, maybe it's because I don't workout hard enough.

Last edited by domcreates; 01-28-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #95
M3Inline6

Quote:
haha ok fine, then lets keep it at 3 days of rest please? What should I do? Which body parts which day?
Get out of that mindset that less isn't enough! Where lifting is concerned, less can often mean more depending on your program. Stick to a 4 day split: legs, shoulders, back (..encompassing upper/mid/lower) and chest. Add arm movements in on one of those days. If you're lifting hard enough, you won't/shouldn't be able to go the next day anyway (..again, depending on program).

Last edited by M3Inline6; 01-28-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #96
domcreates
Banned User

Quote:
Get out of that mindset that less isn't enough! Where lifting is concerned, less can often mean more depending on your program. Stick to a 4 day split: legs, shoulders, back (..encompassing upper/mid/lower) and chest. Add arm movements in on one of those days. If you're lifting hard enough, you won't/shouldn't be able to go the next day anyway (..again, depending on program).
chest?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #97
M3Inline6

Quote:
chest?

Yes....you know....flat/incline bench pressing, flat/incline dumbbell presses, cable flies, dumbbell flies, plyo push-ups, etc.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #98
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
I don't always think that's true. I push myself pretty damn hard and I'm able to go the next day. I think it's wrong to assume people don't workout hard enough if they're able to lift the next day. Look at glight. Dudes gone 30+ days straight going hard. If you're sleeping and eating well, not having crappy lift days then you should be fine.

Last edited by DylloS; 01-28-2013 at 01:19 PM.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #99
domcreates
Banned User

Quote:

Yes....you know....flat/incline bench pressing, flat/incline dumbbell presses, cable flies, dumbbell flies, plyo push-ups, etc.
lmao my bad I read through it and didn't see that you had chest in there so I was wondering why you left it out. Now I see it. Sorry.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #100
domcreates
Banned User

Ok so A B C D schedule like this is good?

A
Chest

B
Back

C
Shoulders

D
Legs & Arms