E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
gselsidi

My Ride: 2005 325i M56
Which inexpensive coilover?

Hello I have read a few threads about coil overs, and the name most common names out there are raceland and NNR which are supposedly the same.

My main concern is comfort don't need insane handling. My rear right wheel is drooping so instead of paying almost 1/3rd the cost to buy 1 spring without a strut. i thought i can pick up a pair of these cheap coil overs and do my whole car.

Any other brands to consider? Also, cheapest place to buy these? I read they were much cheaper at around $250 now they are $350. My car has 99k so I'm assuming my suspension is shot and anything would be much better.

Please let me know your experience with ride comfort compared to OEM non sport suspension.

Thank You
gselsidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
M3JetBlack

My Ride: 2002 M3
Remember, you get what you pay for.

I am also looking for a set of coil overs, but learned not to cheap out. I read many threads and searched for days. I seriously suggest you do the same. You will get many mixed opinions about quality. Safety is also another concern. Why not buy a high quality set used from the classifieds?

Kinesis Wheels / BC Coils / Rogue El Diablo / SuperSprint / CPI / Vorsteiner / ESS

Instagram: @somuchcalitis
M3JetBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
gselsidi

I think the safety concern is exaggerated. These parts will most likely be oem quality. Secondly even classified coils are still expensive. Thirdly, replacement parts will be super expensive since you will be buying them new unless you can find a used one again.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gselsidi View Post
I think the safety concern is exaggerated. These parts will most likely be oem quality. Secondly even classified coils are still expensive. Thirdly, replacement parts will be super expensive since you will be buying them new unless you can find a used one again.
Why bother making a thread? You answer your own questions.

Safety should be a top concern for you. The problem with no-name generic parts is that you have no idea what you're getting. The companies that manufacture these parts do not adhere to QA standards. I suggest you save your money until you can afford a proper suspension and all of the other worn out parts that need to be replaced as well.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic M3
Bilstein | Kosei K1 Racing | Toyo Proxes R888 | BMW CCA #430881

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
WheyArea

My Ride: '03 TiAg ///M3
I agree - too many threads about wanting _______ "on a budget." You cannot buy an E46 and expect things to be cheap. $250-300 for coilovers? That's just not realistic. You can find some good springs at that price, but why get a bimmer if you're going to put it on $300 coils. Your best bet is something used.

As they say, you get what you pay for. You may get what you want for cheap, but time will pass and sure enough you'll realize that if you had just saved your money up until that point you would have been able to get what you actually wanted.

*EDIT* Another good option is to find some used OEM shocks/struts if your suspension is shot. Plenty of places to get 'e,: eBay, craigslist, classified section here, salvage yard etc..

/// Dinan ECU /// Brembo BBK /// BBS LM 19" /// Bilstein PSS10
/// Eisenmann Exhaust /// Supersprint Mid Pip /// AC Schnitzer Spoiler
/// Hamann Lip /// AC Schnitzer CF Diffuser /// K&N CAI /// Valentine 1

Coming Soon...... OEM SSK, CSL bootlid

Last edited by WheyArea; 12-22-2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: added mention
WheyArea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
Angelic0-

My Ride: BMW E34, E46 & E38
Send a message via MSN to Angelic0- Send a message via Skype™ to Angelic0-
KW, D2, Bilstein.... i would never buy anything else... but they come with a price tag.... and KW is the least of the three... KW Quality Control has gone south !!!

Last edited by Angelic0-; 12-22-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Angelic0- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
M3JetBlack

My Ride: 2002 M3
Safety for you and the others around you is a huge priority. Check out these images of CHEAP coilovers. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Posted by E46Mango, here.

Do you really want this to happen while going down the highway at 60+ MPH???

We are not here to make your decision for you, but just to give an opinion. If you want a quick replacement or drop...get cheap coils that will put yourself, others, and your car at risk. If you want something safe, high quality, and will last...get something better. Remember were these cheap coil overs are made.

Kinesis Wheels / BC Coils / Rogue El Diablo / SuperSprint / CPI / Vorsteiner / ESS

Instagram: @somuchcalitis
M3JetBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
ac_2007

My Ride: E46 - M3 & 325i
Quote:
Do you really need us to start posting threads showing you how the cheap-o coilovers failed, and under different circumstances could've serriously injured or killed the occupants?

By the time a brand name coilover has failed it would be time to do a suspension overhaul anyways. Otherwise, you have a decent warranty to back them up.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
We used raceland and rokkor coilovers for all our cars.

sent from my HTC EVO+ using Bimmer App
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #10
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
^
April fools.. in December.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #11
jcns

My Ride: California
Quote:
First, you answered your own question. Just buy the cheapest ones.
Second, hmmmmmmmmmmm. He!! no!!!!!!!!!! Some are superior to OEM and some are inferior.
jcns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #12
gselsidi

so im assuming raceland is inferior to oem?
Old 12-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #13
BRccKLYN

My Ride: Topaz 01 330ci
Had BC racing for the last 30k and they have been great. Ride quality dipped a bit from oem dampers but handling is awesome!
BRccKLYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:42 PM   #14
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
You really shouldn't skimp on things that your life depends on. Cheap speakers? Yeah who cares. Cheap strut brace? No problem. Those don't matter if they fail. Strut failure can get you killed. Period. Go with someone you know is good. Save up and get some Bilsteins or ST or KW. I'm looking at ST V1 coilovers right now. They are basically KW V1 with a different material for the struts. I may go with the Bilstein PSS. There is also the FK Silverline. All of these are around $1000 and that's what you need to plan on spending for quality.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:47 PM   #15
JQuick5156

My Ride: 2004 330 Coupe
Your questions have obviously been answered but I just want to add one more thing lol

Cheap and coil overs shouldn't be in the same sentence haha

As I'm sure you have seen from the pictures. You ever consider just new springs? You can sometimes find them for cheaper. Also depending on the condition of your shocks, They could be reused.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:52 PM   #16
gselsidi

I don't need performance it just seemed like these coilovers for $400 made more sense then buying separate springs and struts for each wheel. I have been searching on google and other forums and haven't seen a thread or a serious failures of raceland. It seems every bashes them because of price, yet there's no evidence that they fail catastrophically more so then oem or any other brand. The company has been around for 5 years I'm sure if they sucked and failed it would of been known by now. Problem is even the expensive brands can fail.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:56 PM   #17
gselsidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQuick5156 View Post
Your questions have obviously been answered but I just want to add one more thing lol

Cheap and coil overs shouldn't be in the same sentence haha

As I'm sure you have seen from the pictures. You ever consider just new springs? You can sometimes find them for cheaper. Also depending on the condition of your shocks, They could be reused.
Those pictures are just from 1 incident. I'm sure you can find multiple incidents of failed oem struts

Well I'm not sure what i need, I know i will probably need 1 spring in the back, and reading on this forum about how oem shocks are destroyed at 50k.

Honestly I don't even know anymore this forum is so polarized can't get a consensus. You have people saying replace your whole cooling system at 70k and then people who have gone 150k without replacing anything. I shouldn't have even started a thread lol.

Last edited by gselsidi; 12-22-2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:58 PM   #18
NightRaider93

My Ride: 2007 Z4 Coupe
Go with what YOU think. Whatever happens, happens. Asking forums members usually gets the same plethora of responses that are already swimming in your head.

NightRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #19
gselsidi

^^ that's exactly what is happening in my mind right now lol just getting mind ****ed
Old 12-23-2012, 12:08 AM   #20
WheyArea

My Ride: '03 TiAg ///M3
Quote:
Those pictures are just from 1 incident. I'm sure you can find multiple incidents of failed oem struts

Well I'm not sure what i need, I know i will probably need 1 spring in the back, and reading on this forum about how oem shocks are destroyed at 50k.

Honestly I don't even know anymore this forum is so polarized can't get a consensus. You have people saying replace your whole cooling system at 70k and then people who have gone 150k without replacing anything. I shouldn't have even started a thread lol.
You're absolutely right. You will never reach a true consensus on this forum about anything e46. But I guarantee that if you ask members of ANY forum (Chevy, Honda, Nissan etc.) about getting cheap coil overs you're probably going to get majority saying 'hell no'

/// Dinan ECU /// Brembo BBK /// BBS LM 19" /// Bilstein PSS10
/// Eisenmann Exhaust /// Supersprint Mid Pip /// AC Schnitzer Spoiler
/// Hamann Lip /// AC Schnitzer CF Diffuser /// K&N CAI /// Valentine 1

Coming Soon...... OEM SSK, CSL bootlid
WheyArea is offline   Reply With Quote