E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
seregaxyligan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 0
My Ride: 330I
Thumbs down Found guilty AKA Lying Cops

So I just was found guilty for excessive window tint..
So what right, you pay 200 bucks and live your life, the only problem is that when I got pulled over, that cop did not use any devises to check window tints and as he was presenting his case he lied that he wiped a window with a tissue, checked the window and it showed 23% tint.
So right after I went to see an attorney right there at DMV and he just laughed at me because it's tints and i quote he said "Just get over it".
So now I am sitting here full of rage and disappointment about our court system but still are not willing to let go this case.
Out of principles i wanna pursue that cop, because he gotta have a recording of what happened and it's gonna show that he did not do anything, and so will prove that he lied in court. (I am pretty sure cops can get in a lot of troubles for lying in court)
If anyone had a similar accidents or just knows someone who can help with with this, any information will be greatly appreciated.
seregaxyligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dirty South
Posts: 3,353
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Let it go.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
jfoj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fairfax, VA USA
Posts: 10,948
My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
First post and this question?

The great state and city of NY, you expect different?

So where is your proof that your "tints" is legal, did you bring this with you court? You had had pictures of a shop using the correct tool on your car and a picture of the readout along with a written statement from the shop and submitted this as evidence?

Looks like you have a lot of homework if you want to pursue this one.

If you get your local LEO in a bind, I expect it is a small world up there, you will likely get a few more chances to spend more time with him.
__________________
Solve your misfires, lean codes, rough idle - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=897616

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
Jesse M
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: East Greenwich, RI
Posts: 457
My Ride: 05' ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Let it go.
Yup. Not worth it at all. It's just tint. If it's illegal in your state then you have no right to try and get away with it. Take it off, or get a lighter %. And for the $150-$200 it cost to put it back on, you'd end up spending more on your so called attorney there.
__________________

Last edited by Jesse M; 01-24-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Jesse M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
Teddy7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 963
My Ride: slides
He told you just get over it because of both the money/time involved in going to court versus paying the $200. If you have a ton of spare time why not pursue it. If what you say happened is what really happened then I could see you potentially having a case (only if clearly portrayed on video). I just know most people will say just pay the ticket and move on. I am leaning towards letting it go as well. If your tint was illegal, you were in the wrong. Yes the cop may have lied (I guess they've never done that before), but you don't have a case in terms of your ticket per-say. Also, all he has to do is stick to what he said if the video isn't clear about whether he did or didn't. Then you wasted time/money for both parties.
__________________

Last edited by Teddy7; 01-24-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Teddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.
 
Solidjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 22,523
My Ride: 2002 330i
Follow the rules and you wouldn't have been pulled over in the first place.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #7
jcns
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,541
My Ride: California
so many options for you
Let it go is 1 as everyone mentioned
But I also understand your rage. I think we all do. If you have the time go for it.
1. Was it a hearing or a trial? If it was a hearing, his lying may not be as much trouble as you may want/think it to be in your State. Check your state and city laws(homework #1)
2. Check to see if the cop and/or copcar had a video camera. Homework #2
3. if there was a camera, find out how you can request a copy. Homework #3
4. Were your tints legal? Don't forget that you have to add the tint PLUS 5% for your own windows(this may vary from state to state). This is important, because if you go through all the work of gathering the information from city/state, which ALL COSTS money, and your tints are illegal they will sue you for all costs plus penalties. Check local laws for this.

Another option, if your tints were legal.
If it was a hearing, ask for a trial. If you go this route, be prepared to hire a lawyer. You could represent yourself, but why would you unless you are a lawyer? The city will bring a lawyer if you get a trial.

Last edited by jcns; 01-24-2013 at 09:16 AM.
jcns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
seregaxyligan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 0
My Ride: 330I
I would have paid the fine and let it go if only he wouldn't lie.
It was a hearing, and I will most definitely check if I could obtain a video.
The same way a cop could stop me for doing nothing then create a story and then give me whatever the amount of tickets he feels like giving me that day, and judge would believe him just because he is a cop?
I am willing to spend as much time as i need to prove that i was right.
seregaxyligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
WDE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Old Greg's Cavern
Posts: 9,128
My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Get tint tested. Present evidence that it is legal. Profit. Otherwise shut up.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #10
RayPooley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 1,457
My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by seregaxyligan View Post
So I just was found guilty for excessive window tint..
So what right, you pay 200 bucks and live your life, the only problem is that when I got pulled over, that cop did not use any devises to check window tints and as he was presenting his case he lied that he wiped a window with a tissue, checked the window and it showed 23% tint.
So right after I went to see an attorney right there at DMV and he just laughed at me because it's tints and i quote he said "Just get over it".
So now I am sitting here full of rage and disappointment about our court system but still are not willing to let go this case.
Out of principles i wanna pursue that cop, because he gotta have a recording of what happened and it's gonna show that he did not do anything, and so will prove that he lied in court. (I am pretty sure cops can get in a lot of troubles for lying in court)
If anyone had a similar accidents or just knows someone who can help with with this, any information will be greatly appreciated.

The very first thing you need to do is verify whether your tints are or were legal or illegal. If they are still tinted then get your own readings done. If not then get a statement or certificate from your supplier. If they are illegal then let it go. If they are legal then get a receipt for work done and the testimony or certification from the manufacturer as proof of legality. Then by all means challenge it. If you can provide irrefutable evidence that the tints on your vehicle are or were legal then you have the cop by the balls.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #11
seregaxyligan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 0
My Ride: 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Get tint tested. Present evidence that it is legal. Profit. Otherwise shut up.
I could not care less if I had 0's installed all around and would have ti stick my head out while driving, he did not fkn check it, and thank you for such a detailed and extensive advise.
seregaxyligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #12
seregaxyligan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 0
My Ride: 330I
For god's sake, yes my windows were tinted, it's not the point.
seregaxyligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #13
wdeerfield
Registered User
 
wdeerfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Clifton Park, New York
Posts: 3,543
My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
tint on any window in ny on a sedan besides the rear windshield is illegal.. doesnt matter if he tested it or not. doesnt matter if you think its light or barely tinted. you have tint on the car, its an equipment violation. end of story. dragging this out is only going to result in you being on their radar that much more.
__________________

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square

Last edited by wdeerfield; 01-24-2013 at 09:43 AM.
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #14
RayPooley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 1,457
My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by seregaxyligan View Post
For god's sake, yes my windows were tinted, it's not the point.
I know what you are saying. Its SOOO annoying when a cop bare faced lies and gets away with it. But you got to get real man. Unless you can demonstrate legality then whether the cop was lying or not you are guilty as charged and that's all they care about. An offence has been commited and the offender punished. All you are going to have is an unsubstantiated allegation against a cop that will be seen as malicious and they will just wipe their ar**s all over it.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #15
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member
 
HacksawMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,101
My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by seregaxyligan View Post
I could not care less if I had 0's installed all around and would have ti stick my head out while driving, he did not fkn check it, and thank you for such a detailed and extensive advise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seregaxyligan View Post
For god's sake, yes my windows were tinted, it's not the point.
You have a case IF your windows are legal. It's a question that you will have to answer in court because that is what you were ticketed for. If the tint is legal, you just proved the LEO lied. If they are not, no one will give a flying-rats-ass if the LEO lied or not and you will lose. Heck, the judge may not even allow you to speak at all if your tint is not legal.
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #16
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,920
My Ride: M54B30
I must've gotten a dozen or so tint tickets in the past. I don't even bother tinting my car any more. Besides, it just looks downright ghetto anyway
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #17
adaseb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,079
My Ride: 2002 BMW 320i
Dude, unless you are retarded or blind you can easily tell whether or not a car has any aftermarket tint, all you need to do is look at it, even in the dark you can tell.

In most places any kind of tint is illegal on the driver and passenger door in front

Pretty much all my friends had tint for years and every couple of years or so some cop has an issue and tickets them, eventually they all got sick of being pulled over and got rid of it. They got tired of having to roll down both windows whenever they saw a cop in sight.

Seriously, just go to a shop, get rid of the tint and then go to court and say you got rid of it and they might give you a break on the ticket.

Last edited by adaseb; 01-24-2013 at 10:13 AM.
adaseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #18
jfoj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fairfax, VA USA
Posts: 10,948
My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
tint on any window in ny on a sedan besides the rear windshield is illegal.. doesnt matter if he tested it or not. doesnt matter if you think its light or barely tinted. you have tint on the car, its an equipment violation. end of story. dragging this out is only going to result in you being on their radar that much more.
If this is in fact the NY law, the LEO did not even need to check or test the tint as long as he knew the front windows were in fact tinted.

So this may be the end of the story!

A shirt my wife has comes to mind - "Suck it up, cupcake!"

Either remove the front tint or go lighter on the front so they look like they are not tinted as the rears would be slightly darker. I believe many call this "Limo" tint.
__________________
Solve your misfires, lean codes, rough idle - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=897616

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #19
Noreaster33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 26
My Ride: 2001 330ci
Your word against his
Noreaster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #20
seregaxyligan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 0
My Ride: 330I
Alright, thanks for the info everyone, as mentioned earlier greatly appreciated.
seregaxyligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use