E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
Redflea

My Ride: 2005 330Ci/2003 530i
2005 330Cic...about to buy. Any warnings?

My wife is about to get a 2005 330Cic...any last-minute dire warnings or cautions?

It's got 34K miles, Premium package, Sport package, Navigation, Silver/Gray. $19,995 in SoCal.

She's going to test drive it tomorrow or Tuesday and if it looks good close the deal.

Any comments/feedback appreciated.

BTW, can I assume that this car will have integrated bluetooth, or was that still an option even w/the Nav system?

Wife is pee-in-her-pants excited, she's been driving a minivan for the last 20 years.

Oh, and is there any good/effective alternative to the stock BMW wind deflector (aside from Maxwell Smart's Cone of Silence)? When she saw the defelctors priced at ~$350+ her head started spinning...

Last edited by Redflea; 01-20-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Redflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
ICEMANBU

My Ride: 330Cic
I'd say your last line answers your first line....
ICEMANBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #3
bimmernut3

My Ride: '05 330cic, '01 540i
Redflea....If you have not had a BMW before, be aware that when you have to maintain it, it can get expensive when things need replacing. If you have some mechanical skills, there's many things you can do that will keep the costs 'reasonable'. Your possible pick, the 05 33cic with 34k is a good pick, as it's low mileage. Read the DIY posts to get an idea of the common repair items. As for the BT, it was an option. Get the vin # & run it in at this vincoder site to check the options installed. If you see the COP option, it should have BT. Or while trying the car out, push the "R/T" button on the steering wheel & see if it asks for phone information on the radio display. You can also search the forum for how to activate it. You will need a "pass key" pin #. Check the PO car manuals that should be in the glove box. If they didn't lose it or throw it away, it should be with this stuff.

[IMG][/IMG]
bimmernut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
jason330cic

My Ride: 2001 330cic
I would make sure that the rear subframe has been inspected. They sometimes tear apart and cost thousands of dollars to repair.

jason330cic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
SPEEDCHIP

My Ride: E90 335I
It a great car, you cant go wrong with a 05 E46 330.
SPEEDCHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:42 AM   #6
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
Go for it. Really no vert specific issues, esp. w/that low mileage other than good maintenance records, and the subframe, which can be an issue. Not AS likely in verts BTW. The E46 vert is a very well done instance. Buy a used windscreen in the classifieds here, don't pay more than $250 for one in perfect condition (shipping not included). Also, as someone else said, BT is an option, there are several aftermarket ones you can get. For example, I have the Parrot bluetooth kit and something called Connects2 which allows you to control the bluetooth through the steering wheel controls.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete

Last edited by johnrando; 01-22-2013 at 12:43 AM.
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
Every guy will be checking out your wife, er, I mean her car.
Make sure everything works - all switches, lights etc. Make sure the top goes up and down well.
It should take less than 30 seconds. You might want to check it for leaks - where top joins windshield
seems to be a common spot. Other than that just normal stuff.
It is tuesday - did you get it?
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
just do a PPI, ask for service records, crash reports etc. see if any inspections were done via running the VIN with BMW.

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #9
SMUUUUUV
///Motorcepts ///Maintained

My Ride: '02 330 Vert-'06 4.4
Get it....
SMUUUUUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
Max'd out

My Ride: 04 330cic
Come on man, its a $50,000 car that has only 34,000 miles for somewhere around $20,000 and its what your wife wants. Don't be a fool ... happy wife, happy life and you get to enjoy a great car and look like a hero for buying your wife a BMW convertible. Don't sweat the small stuff unless your budget is weak. If that's the case and you can't afford the maintenance required for keeping it as she needs, you will suffer. They are great cars, just don't go over your budget. Do the stuff suggested in the other posts and enjoy. Good luck!
Max'd out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #11
scifone

My Ride: 2006 325cic
I got the 2006 325cic conv. It has 63k in it same colors and options as yours - no nav though. I paid 16k drives like a dream. It didn't come with manuals , but I found links to them here in the forums. My BT pass code was a pain to get. I had to pull the padding out of the trunk behind the drivers seat to read the code off the BT transmitter.
scifone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:44 AM   #12
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
I was gonna get a vert but decided on a coupe. I asked some of my friends who own a vert what problems they had and what to look for. Check the carpet water and floor for rust. I actually did that too. I know some coupe will leak. My 328ci had a leak in the roof around the antenna.

Check and make sure everything works properly. I figure buying a used Bimmer u will probably spend $1k on repairs depending on the miles. At 50k the most you might have to do is a an actuator.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #13
sgoetz628

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
I've had my 330 CiC for 10 years now and only two significant problems - a new clutch at about 45k (replaced under warranty) and a new alternator at about 90k. Not bad for a car approaching 100,000 miles. Now if you do buy it and the top creaks a bit, clean both surfaces where the top connects to the windshield. Also, mine has never leaked one drop of water anywhere from anything, including auto car washes, which I rarely use. And the only rust I've ever found is on the trunk struts.

These are great cars!!!
Old 01-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #14
LKM46

My Ride: 2005 330Ci cabrio
And?
LKM46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #15
Redflea

First, thanks very much for the suggestions and comments, really appreciated the help.

Second...

SOLD!

Picked it up this past weekend and wife has not stopped smiling since. (Passed inspection w/no issues.) We looked at several other e46 verts w/more miles/cheaper, but she really loved this car's color and feel the best, and I have to admit she was right. (She's driven my two 5 series off and on for the past 8 or so years, so she knows what a BMW is supposed to feel like.)

I scored a used OEM wind deflector for $250 shipped, and new floor mats are on the way (somehow the original owners managed to mess up the driver's side mat). She wouldn't have replaced them, but I feel like she deserves a complete "like-new" experience.

My wife really wants to use the car for our weekend bike riding so we also got a Thule 9001 Raceway mount. We're going to do some careful testing to ensure it doesn't cause any issues...she doesn't want a hitch on the car.

My wife is giddy like a little girl, and likes to remind me that now she has the coolest car in the family (and she's right).

Last edited by Redflea; 01-30-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #16
Poncho@home

My Ride: MY04 330Cic ZSP
Nice!

I felt like a school boy when I got mine last August. Silly what material things can stir in us, but I don't care. I am a 40 y/old kid

BTW, pics of the wife demonstrating her happiness are now mandatory. Some of the car would be nice as well

For registration purposes, my wife "owns" ours as well, but she refuses to drive it, afraid to get hit in it. She has been hit in every car we have owned for the last 10 years, 4 to be exact, so she feels jinxed.

Last fall she had to back it out of the garage when I was away, she immediately called me and remarked how nice it felt just backing it out...I told her to take our daughter and go for a spin but she decided against it.
Poncho@home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #17
Redflea

I have some pics of the car, but all the ones I've taken with the sun out have my wife in them, and she doesn't like me to post them. Paranoid that someone will start stalking her or something. (Come to think of it, given how cute she looks in the car that is a real risk...).

Here's a pic from a parking lot, in bad weather (grey skies/rainy weekend). As soon as we get the deflector and new mats I'll get some good pics in the sun w/the top down.

The only real issue we have now is that the car isn't programmed to adjust the seats automagically when we open the door after unlocking w/the key remote. That is an important feature for us, as I'm 6'2" and she's just under 5'1", and don't like having to reach down and press the appropriate seat memory button. (I know, first world-problem. )

Called the dealer and they want a little over $100 to update the programming so I'm looking for a less expensive option - $100 to change a program setting just seems like highway robbery, even for a dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	car-front-lot.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	488581  
Old 01-30-2013, 04:32 PM   #18
Poncho@home

My Ride: MY04 330Cic ZSP
looks just like mine!

Yeah, my wife also doesn't like pics of her or our daughter online...I guess its a good thing, I tend to share too much.
Poncho@home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #19
halohead52

My Ride: E46 330CIC
Congratulations! You've got a great car!
halohead52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #20
Max'd out

My Ride: 04 330cic
Poncho, I supposedly bought the car with the wife in mind as well and told her it would be for her but after a year, she has yet to drive it much. She loves the car and enjoys riding in it and doesn't complain about maintenance costs but has no interest in driving it (we both have daily drivers beside this). I think when we get so involved with these cars, we try to tell them how careful they need to be about pulling up to curbs stops, swags in driveways, park far away from everyone else, and explaining how everything works, we scare them from driving (unintended). If I knew this i would have gotten a manual!
Max'd out is offline   Reply With Quote