E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Paul Ryan used Social Security to go to college

In a stunning development that shines a light on Ryan's world class hypocrisy, we have learned that Paul Ryan received SS payments after his father's death, and used those benefits to make a better life for himself.

These are the very benefits that Paul Ryan now wants to gut from SS.

You can't make this stuff up.

Quote:
Paul Ryan already benefited from the Social Security fund he now wants to gut

By Kase Wickman
Wednesday, April 20, 2011 13:49 EST

Rep. Paul Ryan, the GOP’s most outspoken advocate for cutting and privatizing Social Security, has already benefited from Social Security himself, in the form of survivor benefits he received after his father’s untimely death.

From the age of 16, when his 55-year-old father died of a heart attack, until he was 18, Ryan received Social Security payments, which, according to a lengthy profile in WI Magazine, he put away for college. The eventual budget czar attended Miami University in Ohio to earn a B.A. in economics and political science, and landed a congressional internship as a junior.
Ryan’s congressional ascent, all the way to the top spot on the Budget Committee, began with his Social Security-funded college education.

Ryan’s so-called Roadmap for America’s Future budget plan proposed machete-like cuts — most notably to social services like Medicare and Social Security. Paul’s idea was to invest portions of Social Security funds in Wall Street, essentially forcing future recipients to make unsecured investments with with money they’ll later need for retirement — and endangering survivor benefits like the ones he received.

“Ryan credits his father’s death and the care of his grandmother as giving him first-hand experience as to how social service programs work,” WI Magazine wrote, referencing his Alzheimer’s-stricken grandmother, also a beneficiary of the social programs Ryan now opposes, who moved in with Ryan and his mother after his father died.

Without the Social Security benefits he received, Ryan would have had more difficulty attending college, and wouldn’t have become “Wisconsin’s fiscal dreamboat,” as the profile dubs him, or, as Democrats nationwide have painted him, the Enemy Number 1 to seniors and social services.

Ryan’s “Roadmap” for Social Security would drive toward privatization of Social Security, and an “eventual modernization of the retirement age.”

Sen. Charles Schumer (D-NY) wagged his finger at Ryan in a statement in January: “Paul Ryan owes it to the national audience tonight to explain why he wants to privatize Social Security and Medicare.”

Ryan’s Social Security reforms didn’t make it into the final draft of the budget the House passed last week, but as the chairman of the Budget Committee, he’s in a position to push the House to adopt his plan at a later date.

The focus in the social entitlements cut conversation has been on seniors, but “survivor benefits,” like the payments that Ryan and his family received, and help for the disabled, account for about a third of Social Security payments.

Raw Story (http://s.tt/1d9Si)

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
He got his, screw the rest apparently.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
He got his, screw the rest apparently.
I know a fox news republican doctor who divorced his pregnant wife while he was in college so she could get ADC and other forms of welfare. He went on to dangle from the gubmint teat himself by joining the National Guard and used federal handouts forever.

Now he's a hardcore welfare hater.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Am I in a time machine?

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 01-24-2013 at 05:03 PM.
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Meh could care less. I grew up without my father and put myself through school but I still don't like the broken SS system. I agree that it should go private or at least give citizens the option to choose SS or opt out.
Sick Days - Unlimited
Working Days in 2013 - 159
Accountability for poor performance - None
Healthcare - Top notch

Want to complain about entitlements.....start with Congress.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Am I in a time machine?

Ryan's recent remarks brought it back up.

Quote:
Congressman Paul Ryan, the failed vice-presidential candidate and known Ayn Rand admirer, did not appreciate President Obama's inaugural speech.

He told radio host Laura Ingraham that the President willfully misrepresented his long-held belief that American society is increasingly fractured between those who work hard and contribute to society and those who, via safety-net programs, leech off the toil of others.

"No one is suggesting that what we call our earned entitlements — entitlements you pay for, you know, like payroll taxes for Medicare and Social Security — are ... putting you in a 'taker' category," he said on Ingraham's show yesterday.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #7
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Meh could care less. I grew up without my father and put myself through school but I still don't like the broken SS system. I agree that it should go private or at least give citizens the option to choose SS or opt out.
I couldn't care less that Ryan used SS to put himself through school.

What I care about is the rampant hypocrisy he displays by trying to end the very programs that helped him.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
I couldn't care less that Ryan used SS to put himself through school.

What I care about is the rampant hypocrisy he displays by trying to end the very programs that helped him.
Well I mean are you surprised when these stories surface? Look at Obama and every other crooked politician in line. They're all the same just representing different parties.
Sick Days - Unlimited
Working Days in 2013 - 159
Accountability for poor performance - None
Healthcare - Top notch

Want to complain about entitlements.....start with Congress.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
Lair
Modded ///Member

OK.

Point out Obama's attacks on programs that he used as a child.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #10
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
This is old news btw.

This is where Paul Ryan's and others who think logically and can be responsible for their own future think differently than yourself.

Paul Ryan received social security from which his father was force to pay into, yes and rightfully so...Paul also only received SS for two years, until he was an adult.

Lets pretend Paul's father did not have to pay into SS and instead paid that money into something simple like a mutual fund. Upon his fathers passing, Paul would not be limited to only 2 years of payments, he would be entitled to the entire nest egg. He very well could have received more money and even had a tangible number that could be withdrawn at once.

In a nutshell, Paul looked at SS and said we can do better. I agree with him.

Last edited by Green_Shine; 01-24-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Green_Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #11
sammk

My Ride: Bone-stock E92
The article seems to use some hyperbole but I agree that this amounts to some sort of hypocrisy on Ryan's part.

That apart, I was never impressed with his skills as a so-called budget guru.. I think he's way overrated and there's not much value he can bring to the table in terms of meaningful fiscal reform. My personal take on Ryan.

E92 convert. BMW Fanatic.
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #12
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
This is old news btw.

This is where Paul Ryan's and others who think logically and can be responsible for their own future think differently than yourself.

Paul Ryan received social security from which his father was force to pay into, yes and rightfully so...Paul also only received SS for two years, until he was an adult.

So you don't see anything wrong with a guy who uses a program to help himself get ahead, but later calls the people who use the same program "takers", and then has the nerve to try to eliminate the program that helped him get ahead so that other people can't access it?

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:04 AM   #13
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Fun story, you actually have no choice whether or not you get SS benefits. My best friend knocked up a junkie online. They had a kid and he ended up taking 100% custody since she's a drug using loser. She recently got SS benefits since our government decided that being a drug user (or "depressed") is a disability.

Since the mother gets SS benefits, even though she has 0% custody, her children get SS benefits. My friend, who is very rich via family, called our government and said he doesn't need their $1,000 a month. They told him "you could be Bill Gates and you're still getting this money".

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:08 AM   #14
mkodama

That's a bit hypocritical...

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:44 AM   #15
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:18 AM   #16
Lair
Modded ///Member

Stop lying. Nobody forces anyone to cash SS checks.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #17
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
So you don't see anything wrong with a guy who uses a program to help himself get ahead, but later calls the people who use the same program "takers", and then has the nerve to try to eliminate the program that helped him get ahead so that other people can't access it?
Did you fvcking not read what I wrote?
Old 01-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #18
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
In other news, Paul Ryan is still a callous assh0le...
Old 01-25-2013, 07:29 AM   #19
BigDRick323
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
You've never drank and drove and then later told everyone drinking and driving is wrong, we're all hypocritical. We want to stand for things, but we're still humans that make stupid decisions. Even bearing the hypocrisy, SS needs to be fixed. Obama has had several issues, such as Obama with Reverend Wright. Talks about him being his personal advisor on religion, yet saying he doesn't know the guy and doesn't believe in the things he says. Come on!

-1983 Grey 528e (Given to Charity) -1995 Champagne Toyota 4Runner (Friend Totaled) -2000 Black 323i (From DD to Project Car) -2011 Black Toyota Prius III (DD)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/780058
BigDRick323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:31 AM   #20
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDRick323 View Post
You've never drank and drove and then later told everyone drinking and driving is wrong, we're all hypocritical. We want to stand for things, but we're still humans that make stupid decisions. Even bearing the hypocrisy, SS needs to be fixed. Obama has had several issues, such as Obama with Reverend Wright. Talks about him being his personal advisor on religion, yet saying he doesn't know the guy and doesn't believe in the things he says. Come on!
Even if true, one can recognize and learn from their own mistakes.

Rev Wright? Has this thread falling into a time warp?
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote