E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
phrozen06

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
GOP's Chambliss announces Senate retirement

Quote:
The Georgia Republican was a member of the bipartisan "Gang of Six" in the previous Congress.

Chambliss was first elected to the Senate in 2002 after serving in the House
He has joined with Democrats to find ways to reduce the debt
GOP Rep. Paul Broun was considering a 2014 primary challenge
Republican Saxby Chambliss said Friday that he will retire from the U.S. Senate and not seek a third term in 2014, citing his "frustration" at partisan gridlock in Washington that has made it difficult to reduce the nation's mounting debt.

Chambliss, 69, was also facing a potential primary, but said in a statement that he believed he could survive challenges from fellow Republicans who would attack his record as a conservative.

"Instead, this is about frustration, both at a lack of leadership from the White House and at the dearth of meaningful action from Congress, especially on issues that are the foundation of our nation's economic health," Chambliss said. "The debt-ceiling debacle of 2011 and the recent fiscal-cliff vote showed Congress at its worst and, sadly, I don't see the legislative gridlock and partisan posturing improving anytime soon."

Chambliss was a member of the so-called "Gang of Six," a bipartisan group of senators that tried during the last Congress to forge an agreement on ways to reduce the debt, which is now at $16 trillion. The group's work was praised by President Obama, but its focus on a mix of spending cuts and tax increases -- which are reviled by within the Republican Party -- contributed to its collapse.

Chambliss's surprise announcement will likely send Republicans -- and Democrats -- scrambling for the open Senate seat. Republican congressmen Paul Broun and Tom Price were already thinking about running in a GOP primary and Jack Kingston, an 11-term House member, said Friday he'll consider the Senate race.

Democrats say they will make reclaiming the Georgia Senate seat a "priority" in the 2014 election cycle. They have a 55-45 voting advantage in the Senate and will defend 20 seats next year.

"Georgia will now offer Democrats one of our best pickup opportunities of the cycle," said Guy Cecil, executive director of the Senate Democrats' campaign committee. "There are already several reports of the potential for a divisive primary that will push Republicans to the extreme right. Regardless, there's no question that the demographics of the state have changed and Democrats are gaining strength."

Chambliss was first elected to the Senate in 2002 after serving in the U.S. House for four terms. He defeated Democratic incumbent Max Cleland, a Vietnam veteran and triple amputee, in a bitter race.

Chambliss took heat from Democrats -- and fellow Republicans such as John McCain -- for running a controversial ad against Cleland that included images of the Democrat, Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden. McCain, a prisoner of war in Vietnam, called the ad "worse than disgraceful."

In 2008, Chambliss had a closer-than-expected fight against Democrat Jim Martin. Chambliss defeated Martin in a runoff because he did not have the votes to do so outright on election night.

More recently, Chambliss voted this month for the bill to avoid the "fiscal cliff." That deal has angered some conservatives because it raised taxes on couples making over $450,000.
Finally fed up with Washington. There will be more who won't seek re-election.

Last edited by phrozen06; 01-25-2013 at 12:16 PM.
phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
Finally fed up with Washington. There will be more who won't seek re-election.
If this comes true, it's the best news possible for the nation.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
I wish they all would.

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
phrozen06

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
If this comes true, it's the best news possible for the nation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput View Post
I wish they all would.
Couldn't agree more.

phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote