E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 03:06 AM   #1
TnT817

My Ride: 01 330ci
Interest in electronic height adjustment!

So what are your guy's interest in being able to control your coil over height on the fly?! Having the same reliability and handling characteristics of your current coil overs, but the adjustability of having air ride without any air lines or hydraulic lines to run.

This would be made into a retrofit kit and would be built for installation on any set of coil overs at a price standpoint below an air ride kit and below what most quality coil over systems would cost.

This way that huge curb in your driveway won't be an issue any longer, those downtown roads that are destroyed will no longer eat your carbon lips, and so on.

I have a bachelors in mechanical engineering. This was something that I have always dreamed of having and I am now in the process of designing such a system.

Just gauging interest in something like this at the moment.

Last edited by TnT817; 11-10-2013 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1384070827
TnT817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:59 AM   #2
Fajitas

My Ride: 04 E46
subd
Fajitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
GuidoK

My Ride: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+
I'm curious what kind of method you're going to use if its not hydraulic (like KW HLS) or pneumatic (like umbrelladesign or Stance solutions).
E85 Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Custom Brembo BBK front/rear | Schrick cams | Schmiedmann headers/cats | Powerflex/strongflex/PSB PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers

Last edited by GuidoK; 11-10-2013 at 06:25 PM.
GuidoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
TnT817

In my design all that is needed is a power and ground to each corner of the car from your battery and to install the system to your coil overs. That way no need for having a compressor and the associated hardware or running any hydraulic lines or hardware.

I prefer to keep my design concealed from the public for the time being untill I am able to get a 100% functional product and apply for a patent. I am finalizing a few components then I will be ready to send out prints to a machine shop.

Last edited by TnT817; 11-11-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
CSP

My Ride: m54
So your retrofit kit that you put on your current coilovers will cost slightly less than the coilovers themselves?
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #6
GuidoK

My Ride: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+
That probably depends on the coilover price

But if this system is reliable (good shielding from dirt etc), practical and affordable (even below the air systems), than that would be awesome.
The KW HLS system is very expensive.
The available air systems (umbrella, stancesolutions) have as downside that not all coilovers are compatible. Not only the thickness of the shock shaft is important (for the air seal), but also the diameter of the springs. Some coilovers have narrow springs (that fit in the air lifted cups), but stock springs or KW springs (non clubsport) may not fit.
E85 Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Custom Brembo BBK front/rear | Schrick cams | Schmiedmann headers/cats | Powerflex/strongflex/PSB PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers
GuidoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
BlazingWildBill

My Ride: Ferg 328Ci
Re: Interest in electronic height adjustment!

Subscribed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #8
awesomechinz

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i sedan
Interest in electronic height adjustment!

In for something kickass!!!! Woot

brown magic
awesomechinz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #9
TnT817

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
So your retrofit kit that you put on your current coilovers will cost slightly less than the coilovers themselves?
Yes it will be more than your sub par coil overs. I can't give an exact price point at this time, but expect something around 400-700 range for a complete front system. Pricing is going to depend on what my costs are going to be from the machine shop. Obviously the more parts the machine shop make at a time will make the kit cheaper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
That probably depends on the coilover price

But if this system is reliable (good shielding from dirt etc), practical and affordable (even below the air systems), than that would be awesome.
The KW HLS system is very expensive.
The available air systems (umbrella, stancesolutions) have as downside that not all coilovers are compatible. Not only the thickness of the shock shaft is important (for the air seal), but also the diameter of the springs. Some coilovers have narrow springs (that fit in the air lifted cups), but stock springs or KW springs (non clubsport) may not fit.
This is why this kit should be great! I know for 100% certainty that it will be compatible with Bilstein, KW's including clubsport, and Ground Control. These were the kits that I had available to me.

Depending on what coil overs you have there will only be 1 part that will/could be different. When ordering you would specify what coil overs you have and that will determine what piece you would need.

For the time being this will be 100% functional for e36, and e46. I would assume e9x's as well, but I would need one to take a look at, which may happen very soon!

Once this product is available to the e36, and e46 crowd I will judge wether or not to pursue into other territories.

Keep in tune everyone!!

Last edited by TnT817; 11-12-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:53 AM   #10
Tchleung

My Ride: 02 M3
Would this work with status gruppe tuning coilovers with the camber plate pillow ball mount setup? Can't see where to mount anything beside maybe between the spring and the hat it sits against at the top.

00 Jet Black 323i 5MT - Fuel Saver

02 Carbon Black M3 6MT - Fun Car
456whp/312wtq @ 8psi, No #'s yet at 9psi
4.10 / Headers / ESS VT2-550+

Tchleung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
TnT817

Yes they will work! Would need one to get a few quick measurements to make the adaptor piece that I mentioned above for them.

Once I get rights to my product and I'm able to show you guys it then it will all make sense.

Also for some more info for everyone else any style camber plates or OE mounts will be compatible.

Last edited by TnT817; 11-13-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #12
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
A 12v high torque motor with a worm gear sitting against a toothed ring that locks over the threaded collar of the coil over and you have electronic adjustment. If you really wanna be famous make a control panel that can control front-rear with push button settings for street/track so you don't have to play with anything once you get it set.

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
willsbma is offline   Reply With Quote