E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 12:02 AM   #1
awesomechinz

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i sedan
Finding a good gym

Hey guys. Many of you may already recognize me from other areas of the site. My venture to this section has to do with finding a "good" gym to work out at.

Since September, I've broken my 2 year no exercise streak and believe I've gotten into relatively decent shape with a little muscle build using the "all in 1" type weight machine. (It came with a chart of various exercises and which muscles it would target. I also have a treadmill that I run on as well.

My reason for thinking about joining a gym is because gyms have various equipment which will not only target certain muscles, but allow me to more efficiently work out by involving more muscle groups. Is this reasoning correct?

Now on to the local area gyms. What is a fair price for membership with the following in mind:
1. I will probably go 3/7days to gym. I will run on treadmill 2/7days at home.
2. I won't be going there at odd hours of the day. Probably 6/7 pm latest (all gyms are open until at least 11)
3. I don't think I will utilize a swimming pool (2/4 local gyms have pools)
4. 1/4 gyms JUST opened so not really sure if I should rule it out just because I may not get proper guidance for technique
5. At The more "established" gyms, I have friends that have been working out for a while that can show me how to properly work out
6. I don't want to over-pay

Prices:
Gym 1: (newest gym) $10/month
Not sure about how good this gym is

Gym 2: (Fitness Usa) $10/20/30 per month
10$ gets access only to weights and running equipment, pool costs extra hence the higher prices. Also, closed Sundays

Gym 3: (anytime fitness) 30$/month
Most friends go here so I could receive most guidance here. No pool

Gym 4: (Pinnacle Athletic Club) [cost unknown]
Few friends here. Say it is exceptional and good guidance. Does have pool. While I don't know about cost, the facility is large.

Looking for ideas here. Those that go to a gym, why did you choose it? Or does it not matter?

Advice is appreciated and sorry for the long post!

brown magic
awesomechinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Here's what I'll say. You see like a pretty skinny guy so you should find a gym designed to get you stronger. ie not planet fitness. Make sure they have a few squat rack, and deadlifting is allowed. Like everyone else here, post videos and ask any questions you might have.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
awesomechinz

Finding a good gym

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Here's what I'll say. You see like a pretty skinny guy so you should find a gym designed to get you stronger. ie not planet fitness. Make sure they have a few squat rack, and deadlifting is allowed. Like everyone else here, post videos and ask any questions you might have.
Alright will do. I'll probably get membership once January starts(hoping for a promotion or something)

brown magic
Old 12-24-2013, 12:40 AM   #4
Trashcan

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Re: Finding a good gym

Honest opinion, you're over thinking it. Don't go to planet fitness, go workout with your friends.

For a newb going into a gym it can be intimidating and discouraging, we all know, so having your friends there is going to make it a lot more likely for you to keep up on it until you've learned enough and become comfortable on your own.

Don't be afraid to go alone. Trying something and sticking with it is better than sitting on your couch thinking about it. If you're not sure on certain lifts, ask for a couple pointers, most people are very nice.

Quit thinking so much, and just do it. Good luck, hope you learn to love it and we look forward to encouraging and helping you over here in h&f!
Trashcan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
If you are serious about working out make sure the gym you join has plenty of power/squat racks, you will utilize these a lot. Also a decent sized open space for doing barbell related lifts would be a plus.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
awesomechinz

Finding a good gym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashcan View Post
Quit thinking so much, and just do it. Good luck, hope you learn to love it and we look forward to encouraging and helping you over here in h&f!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
If you are serious about working out make sure the gym you join has plenty of power/squat racks, you will utilize these a lot. Also a decent sized open space for doing barbell related lifts would be a plus.
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm gonna go with the more expensive 30$ gym because I have the most friends there and my visit to check it seemed like it was the best choice. I do look forward to hanging around the H&F section and I will ask questions as needed!

brown magic
Old 12-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Finding a good gym

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomechinz View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm gonna go with the more expensive 30$ gym because I have the most friends there and my visit to check it seemed like it was the best choice. I do look forward to hanging around the H&F section and I will ask questions as needed!
Let us know man. We're here to help. I will tell you this, listen to us and stick to a program. Do not put something random together.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote