E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #21
Act of God
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Good diet advice right there.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #22
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
dabears, thank you so much for that. Much appreciated. At home I have dumbbells, full size bar, various weights and an adjustable bench. Once it warms up I'll be running at the track like I used to.

I will definatetly adjust my diet as you stated as best as I can. I'll cut juice/coffee. What drinks do you recommend??? I know water alone won't cut it.

@amazingnutz I want to lose my gut and overall slim down (thighs, stomach, chest and any excess fat) but while I lose that I'll be lifting weights to increase my muscle mass in my arms, chest and back. My calves are already rock hard.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #23
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
dabears, thank you so much for that. Much appreciated. At home I have dumbbells, full size bar, various weights and an adjustable bench. Once it warms up I'll be running at the track like I used to.

I will definatetly adjust my diet as you stated as best as I can. I'll cut juice/coffee. What drinks do you recommend??? I know water alone won't cut it.

@amazingnutz I want to lose my gut and overall slim down (thighs, stomach, chest and any excess fat) but while I lose that I'll be lifting weights to increase my muscle mass in my arms, chest and back. My calves are already rock hard.
Just so you know, I can sympathize with you because I was identical to you in diet / knowledge / build a few years ago, and with the help of this forum and learning the hard way I turned it around. Its not an easy process, it needs to be slow and consistent so you can stick to it for life. Its not a diet, its a lifestyle change.

Just cut the sugar and cream from the coffee. I've actually developed an appreciation for the taste of good coffee because I drink it black. I cannot drink shitty coffee, because there is nothing to mask the taste. It sucked initially but now I swear by it. Coffee has lots of great properties, but people turn it into essentially the same thing as a donut or a piece of cake.

Liquid calories add up so fast, thats why its best to just drink water. You should just try and suck it up and only drink water / coffee / green tea for at least a couple of weeks. See if its really as awful as you think. Its all I drink besides beer, and I used to be a big pop drinker etc. You can slowly let these "luxuries" back in, I haven't had a coke in a few months since I don't buy it at grocery store but if I had the opportunity I would drink one, not going to hurt in moderation. It's best to quit cold turkey and then slowly let things back in as you earn them... that's what worked best for me anyways.

Any chance you would signup at a gym? Are you in college? Could you use their weight room?

I think you should signup at a gym if possible and do this program:

Quote:
A
Squat 5×5
Pull-ups 5xFailure (add weight if “Failure” is becoming more than 12 reps)
Overhead Press 5×5

B
Squat 5×5
Deadlift 1/2/3×5 (your choice; deadlifts can be incredibly taxing, and with exhaustion comes poor form, so be careful; sometimes it’s better to do a really heavy load for a single set)
Bench Press 5×5

C
Squat 5×5
Pull-ups 5xFailure
Overhead Press 5×5

Do this sequence every week (maybe Monday, Wednesday, Friday) and steadily increase the weight each session. Once you’re making progress, feel free to add in other exercises like dips or more Olympic lifts. For more mass, more lactic “burn” (and more GH secretion), reduce your rest periods between sets or even superset them. If you feel like doing some cardio, stick to sprints once weekly, or even a Crossfit-style metcon (metabolic conditioning) workout, maybe some Tabata burpees. The key is conserving strength and giving your body time to rest and recover for the next round of squats, deadlifts, and presses.

This “program” can be tweaked and altered. Just make sure you’re doing big movements while maintaining extreme intensity and great form. Oh, and always make sure to squat and deadlift. Always. They produce the most testosterone, GH, and IGF-1.
You'd see huge results with a diet change and that routine imo.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #24
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
I finished college almost two years ago. Yea, I can sign up for a gym since I have steady morning shifts at work I'm up at 4am and I get home by 3. So from 3-8 I'm free.

As for the diet, I know I can make it happen. As you said it will take time to cut out from the junk food. I have no problems drinking water and +1 on green tea. My dad works out a lot (he's 42) and he did lose a lot of weight and drinks diet green tea and water all the time.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #25
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Jake, you have change your diet in addition with some sort of whole body cardio in your exercise.
I dont know what your target is, and how you plan to work out but if you add a couple of laps of swimming after your exercise, it will not only help you relax the muscles but also give you the right amount of whole body cardio. People often oversee swimming as an exercise, but its a really good way to exercise the whole body. Specially the internal organs, since lungs have to pump up more air and heart has to send more blood to the whole body constantly. Strong lungs and heart is what makes you going during the weight sessions.

Now, for workout sessions try concentrating on one set of muscles each day. And let them rest for at least 48 hours. Eg: If you do chest and lats today, do not repeat the same tomorrow, give it at least 2 days of rest. This will give enough time for the muscles to heal and shape up much more cleanly.

Reduce fat and add more protien to your diet and eat dinner a little later. 3 is too early for dinner.
Have a bigger lunch, postpone your dinner to at least 6 may be reduce the food amount initially for dinner.

Add more fish, beef and chicken white meat in your diet.
Cut on soda, tea is good but only if its not sugared.
Dont drink processed juice, they contain all kinds of preservatives and sugar.
Get watermelon and juice it up yourself. Home made Banana milk shake is a good source of protein and vitamin as well. One drink after each work out will do really good for your muscles.

Remember, your muscles need the most energy immediately after a workout. So try to eat/drink a good amount of protein rich food within half an hour. This will help your muscles to heal faster and keep you rejuvenated.

"Carbs make you fat" is a misconception. The body needs carbs, good carbs. Without carbs, you will starve your body. Reduce butter in potatoes and rice. But do not eliminate them from your diet.

And you need to make sure you get a good amount of sleep.

A couple of drinks here and there doesnt really matter but dont load up on beer/soda. Consider letting them go for a couple of weeks. Once you get your work out regime going and gain stamina and rhythm you can start drinking them moderately again. By then your body will have adapted for your regular work out and start breaking down almost anything into energy.

Good luck Jake.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #26
M3Inline6
I'm now boosting! Funnnn!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
in my opinion, he needs to do a "body recomposition". Its a diet and exercise strategy where you slowly add muscle mass and also slowly decrease your fat mass to a certain extent. You will look better, be stronger and healthier. But first he needs to learn the ABC's of diet and exercise.

And your diet sucks, sorry to say. Its the typical "average joe" diet, high refined carbohydrates, low protein. At least you've reduced your fat intake.

Coffee (black) is great, but if you are adding a ton of cream/sugar its a fat gaining tool. One cream one sugar or black, nothing more imo.

Stop drinking juice, its as bad for you as pop.

You need to focus on eating homemade fresh meals. Cereal is literally garbage, its not helping you at all. Could you have eggs with some toast instead? Or even better, eggs and bacon?

Stop eating bagels, period. Eating whole wheat is no different than regular, minus a few extra nutrients. It still has the same effect on your body, and is still processed.

You need to do a complete lifestyle change in my opinion... you need to switch from your high processed carb / low fat / low protein diet to one that is high in proteins (meat or eggs with every meal) and moderate to low carb intake... vegetables, fruits, rice and potatoes. Cereal, bagels, toast, pasta need to be eliminated or vastly reduced.

Here is a list I made recently for food choices... if you eat from this list 80%+ of the time without overeating, you will see results.

Protein

Ribeye Steak
Beef Tenderloin
Ground Beef (Regular/Lean/Extra Lean depending on how much fat I need for day)
Tenderized Beef for Stir Fry
Chicken Breast
Chicken Thighs
Tuna
Halibut Steaks/Fillets
Wild Salmon
Rockfish
Eggs (Whole or white)
Whey Protein
Bacon

Carbs

Potatoes (White/Sweet/Yams)... make hashbrowns, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, etc
Rice (Any kind)
Vegetables (Broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, spinach, peppers, tomatoes, etc)
Fruit (Any kind of berry, apples, oranges, grapefruit, pineapple anything goes)

Fats

Most come from the animal proteins like fish, ribeye steaks and chicken thigh & bacon etc, but here are some examples for healthy fats. You'll have to be careful with fats, as they are high in calories and can add up quickly.

Avocado
Butter
Olive Oil (don't cook with it)
Almonds, Walnuts, Etc.
Coconut Oil (great for high temp cooking)

When making your meal choices, think of this simple rule. Why is a donut bad for you? Why is pizza, steak & potatoes, cake etc. Its because they combine carbs and fats together, which leads to weight gain. You want to avoid combining carb sources with fat sources... Why do you think chicken rice and vegetables are so good for you? Theres miniscule amounts of fat present. Everyone always focuses on this... but there's a flip side (and more enjoyable imo). You can eat a high fat and high protein meal, as long as there isnt carbs. So instead of a ribeye steak with potatoes or rice, have a ribeye steak with a greek salad etc.

Where are you working out? Do you have access to a squat rack / barbell?
dabears,

Do a full dietary write-up.....I mean, TO THE 10'S, and I'll sticky it. That way you can save your breath and just refer people to the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionjack View Post
Dude, you are massively gay for Capoeira. Yes I know this has been well established for quite some time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unionjack View Post
While not big, I bet it's firm and can grind the sh1t out of a crank.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-02-2013 at 04:06 PM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #27
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
DeBears,

Do a full dietary write-up.....I mean, TO THE 10'S, and I'll sticky it. That way you can save your breath and just refer people to the thread.
Actually had the same idea, will do