E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #81
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dirty South
Posts: 3,391
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyF1 View Post
K... one more noob question.. well, partial noob, i've only had the phone for a month, and i'm at work so time isn't necessarily on my side right now. Can you post a link on how to Jailbreak? i'll do it tonight... TIA
You... acting like a new member?!

__________________


"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #82
JJR4884
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 18,287
My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaban View Post
There is a whole thread about it. Just go to evasi0n.com... it takes 5 minutes
thank you
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #83
JJR4884
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 18,287
My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
You... acting like a new member?!

meh, just being lazy... i've done enough to be lazy from time to time haha... honestly tho, i have yet to considering jailbreaking my phone up until a few min ago, so i'd rather just get a reputable link/instructions from someone who knows a thing or two

i have the link, so i'm good
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #84
trj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,929
My Ride: 325Ci
Here you go

Here is the software to jailbreak:
http://www.evad3rs.net/2013/01/ios-6...oad-links.html

Here is the guide:

http://www.evad3rs.net/2013/01/ios-6...-iphone-5.html
__________________
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #85
jeffro3000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 2,812
My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
+1 on SBSettings

You can do a whole lot with jailbreak than only install widgets.
Jailbreak is distantly related "rooting" the android.
fixed.

"jailbreaking" is really the iOS equivalent of "sideloading" on Android which is native functionality. (checkbox in security settings)
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #86
trj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,929
My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
fixed.

"jailbreaking" is really the iOS equivalent of "sideloading" on Android which is native functionality. (checkbox in security settings)
Yes, it is not equivalent to rooting, hence I put "almost" in my post.
__________________
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:25 AM   #87
Fergo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: GA
Posts: 538
My Ride: still a gay 135i
So I just met up with this guy on craigslist and traded my Iphone 5 for a Galaxy note2. Ive had the iphone since the 3g and the only other android device I've had was the motorola droid (what a piece of ****ing ****) And after playing around with it I can tell you that IOS6 is like the retarded step brother compared to Jellybean.
__________________

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
all cash

Last edited by Fergo; 02-13-2013 at 01:38 AM.
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:41 AM   #88
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector
 
tock172's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,921
My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
If you love yourself, you'll purchase an iPhone 5.
__________________


1999 Techno Violet Metallic M3
Bilstein | Kosei K1 Racing | Toyo Proxes R888 | BMW CCA #430881

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #89
vorceb23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 227
My Ride: 04 330i
iphone 5
__________________



R.G.V. 1929-2013 Forever Loved
vorceb23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #90
dava92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: VA
Posts: 28
My Ride: 01' Jetta
I have personally tried the iPhone5 and I got really frustrated with the inability to go "back" within apps and menus ect... With Android the back button is always there. With ios going back within things can change depending what app or menu ect... you are in. With the iPhone it always seemed like I was going in and out of apps... it was basically in and out x10000. Hard to explain but I think some people on here understand. Many times I am showing friends a picture or video and the large screen is just great for that. More and more people are using phones less for a "phone" and more for everything else so size is becoming a priority. Coming from a technology job/background you encounter a couple different kinds of people. People with a brain and people without. Unfortunately most are "tech dumb" and they fit an Iphone perfectly! I mean no offense! srsly. I have an iPad through work and used it quite a bit. Since I got the S3 the iPad is just for Neflix and reading books. It's just boring. Take the Iphone5 and delete the 5 apps you use the most. What are you left with? Not much. I guess that's my point. Cheers! Again... no offense to iPhone people!
dava92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #91
Glight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 96
My Ride: 2003 325i
Just got my wife the Note 2. I've used the Note 2, S3, and iP5 extensively and like the Note 2 head and shoulders above the rest. I think of the S3 and iP5 as being roughly similar depending on if you like Apple vs Droid, but the Note 2 is just in a whole other class.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #92
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector
 
tock172's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,921
My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dava92 View Post
I have personally tried the iPhone5 and I got really frustrated with the inability to go "back" within apps and menus ect... With Android the back button is always there. With ios going back within things can change depending what app or menu ect... you are in. With the iPhone it always seemed like I was going in and out of apps... it was basically in and out x10000. Hard to explain but I think some people on here understand. Many times I am showing friends a picture or video and the large screen is just great for that. More and more people are using phones less for a "phone" and more for everything else so size is becoming a priority. Coming from a technology job/background you encounter a couple different kinds of people. People with a brain and people without. Unfortunately most are "tech dumb" and they fit an Iphone perfectly! I mean no offense! srsly. I have an iPad through work and used it quite a bit. Since I got the S3 the iPad is just for Neflix and reading books. It's just boring. Take the Iphone5 and delete the 5 apps you use the most. What are you left with? Not much. I guess that's my point. Cheers! Again... no offense to iPhone people!
Sounds more like a case of user error than a flaw in the design and UI of iOS. I spent years building and modifying my own PCs and home audio systems. Ultimately, I realized that I spent more time tweaking and adjusting my systems than actually using them. I decided there were better ways to spend my time. I switched to Apple for all of my devices a few years ago and I could not be happier. I simply want a device that works, because I use them every single day. Apple does this better than any other firm in the market and they don't sacrifice any functionality in the process.
__________________


1999 Techno Violet Metallic M3
Bilstein | Kosei K1 Racing | Toyo Proxes R888 | BMW CCA #430881

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #93
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dirty South
Posts: 3,391
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergo_the_mule View Post
So I just met up with this guy on craigslist and traded my Iphone 5 for a Galaxy note2. Ive had the iphone since the 3g and the only other android device I've had was the motorola droid (what a piece of ****ing ****) And after playing around with it I can tell you that IOS6 is like the retarded step brother compared to Jellybean.
The Note 2 is hardly a phone at all. It's an absurdly sized device.
__________________


"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #94
dava92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: VA
Posts: 28
My Ride: 01' Jetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
Sounds more like a case of user error than a flaw in the design and UI of iOS. I spent years building and modifying my own PCs and home audio systems. Ultimately, I realized that I spent more time tweaking and adjusting my systems than actually using them. I decided there were better ways to spend my time. I switched to Apple for all of my devices a few years ago and I could not be happier. I simply want a device that works, because I use them every single day. Apple does this better than any other firm in the market and they don't sacrifice any functionality in the process.
I guess we have different experiences. Apps will crash on my iPad from time to time. They just blink and go away. Hard to tell but yes they do crash. On Android you get a box and can "report" the error. I guess you "feel" an app crash more on an Android device more. I also use a Macbook air and a Mac mini. Both have frozen up. You just get the spinning wheel. Force quit has worked sometimes. SO I wish I could say "they just work" but I can't. The hardware is great no doubt, but I'd rather have function/options over form.

A top of the line hammer "just works" but I would prefer a decent hammer AND a toolbox full of tools. That being said I know people that got the S3 which would have been better off getting an iPhone. They will never even use the claw of said hammer. Guess it really does come down to what kind of person you are.
dava92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #95
bry330i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: socal
Posts: 537
My Ride: 2002 330i
i have an iphone 5 and nexus 7. android OS, imo, isnt as smooth as iOS. i get the occasional reboot on my nexus 7 from time to time. for some reason the touch screen isnt as responsive compared to the touchscreen of an iOS device. there seems to be a lag, whenever i click on a link, sometimes i need to press twice. this never happens on my iPhone. cant wait for the ipad mini with retina to be out so i call sell this thing.
bry330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #96
BruceWonder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 2,222
My Ride: 2011.5 E92 M3
iphone 5 or Nexus 4
__________________
BruceWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #97
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dirty South
Posts: 3,391
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWonder View Post
iphone 5 or Nexus 4
I'm with smart.
__________________


"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #98
v8 5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Jarzy, New Jarzy
Posts: 343
My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry330i View Post
i have an iphone 5 and nexus 7. android OS, imo, isnt as smooth as iOS. i get the occasional reboot on my nexus 7 from time to time. for some reason the touch screen isnt as responsive compared to the touchscreen of an iOS device. there seems to be a lag, whenever i click on a link, sometimes i need to press twice. this never happens on my iPhone. cant wait for the ipad mini with retina to be out so i call sell this thing.
this +100000.
__________________
Gutted with a Getrag



We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #99
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector
 
tock172's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,921
My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dava92 View Post
I guess we have different experiences. Apps will crash on my iPad from time to time. They just blink and go away. Hard to tell but yes they do crash. On Android you get a box and can "report" the error. I guess you "feel" an app crash more on an Android device more. I also use a Macbook air and a Mac mini. Both have frozen up. You just get the spinning wheel. Force quit has worked sometimes. SO I wish I could say "they just work" but I can't. The hardware is great no doubt, but I'd rather have function/options over form.

A top of the line hammer "just works" but I would prefer a decent hammer AND a toolbox full of tools. That being said I know people that got the S3 which would have been better off getting an iPhone. They will never even use the claw of said hammer. Guess it really does come down to what kind of person you are.
The amount of times you encounter the spinning beach ball, or have to force quit a program on a Mac pales in comparison to the amount of errors and frustration you will encounter on a PC. That was one of the main reasons I switched. Microsoft will knowingly bring a flawed product to market, with the intention of fixing it through incremental updates. I think this is a flawed strategy. I like Apple's approach of highly polished and refined products.
__________________


1999 Techno Violet Metallic M3
Bilstein | Kosei K1 Racing | Toyo Proxes R888 | BMW CCA #430881

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #100
Fergo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: GA
Posts: 538
My Ride: still a gay 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
The Note 2 is hardly a phone at all. It's an absurdly sized device.
It is pretty huge, I've had it for 2 days and you get used to the size fairly quick
__________________

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
all cash
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use