E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
bronxbomerss2

My Ride: 05 325CI
Send a message via AIM to bronxbomerss2
Thumbs Up SSK from Tischer Review

Just a couple thoughts on the SSK you can get from tischer. First off DO IT!! i was worried i would have to take the exhaust off and the drive-shaft which almost made me not do this mod but im sure as hell glad i did! Not only was the process as easy as 1-2-3 but took 30 min MAX! honestly i could do it in half the time if i had to do it again. my biggest advice to DIYers would be take the time and get a little dirty and put the car on jack stands! this is necessary i found to get the clip of the selector rod, i honestly don't know how others did this inside the car. One other piece of advice if i may, test the shifter out before you put everything back together! Im glad i did! i was having a hard time putting on the clip and then it hit me....test it out first dumb a**!! so i did and sure enough i had the shifter backwards! which was no problem at that point since all i had to do was flip it! so problem avoided there. I knew it was backwards bc the shifter in 3rd was WAY to close to the center trim piece. with that being said all the tools needed for this mod was a jack, 2 jack stands, screw driver, and a long flat head....THATS IT! oh and a flashlight helps! i can honestly say there is at least a 30% decrease in the throw! i feel like driving is a hell of a lot more fun and engaging now! best mod i have ever done PERIOD! Shifts are more crisp and firm now and the ZHP shift knob goes perfect with the interior! don't think twice about this one, easy easy easy and worth every penny of the 140 i spent!
bronxbomerss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
chewy62002

My Ride: e46 m3 6spd
I have an e46 m3 just read your post wondering if it would be that easy on my car. Someone told me I'd have to move my transmission ?!
chewy62002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
bronxbomerss2

i can't imagine it would be any different. I deff. don't think you need to remove the trans the only reason you would remove the exhaust and drive shaft would be if you were replacing the selector rod, like if you got the UUC SSK or something like that, otherwise do as i did and it shouldn't take you more than an hour if you move really slow!
Old 02-01-2013, 01:15 AM   #4
serdar255

My Ride: '01 325ci / '90 325i
Hmmm.. your giving me ideas that my wallet is unhappy with. haha

For coding, custom shift knobs, and vinyl stickers: PM me
serdar255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:43 AM   #5
bronxbomerss2

the kit only cost me 140 and thats b/c i opted for the zhp knob not the one in the kit....DO IT!
Old 02-01-2013, 02:14 AM   #6
serdar255

Tempting...

Old 02-01-2013, 02:33 AM   #7
bronxbomerss2

hell i'd do it for you if you lived near me, im 22...although ive taken transmissions out and done clutch jobs....no engine work...yet, but dude legit its super easy if i had even half a decent camera i would have done a complete DIY but i didn't the only tools you need are a screw driver and a flat head, a long flathead though to get that clip off, thats the only "hard" part about it. i honestly love driving so much more now! if you need help or want me to help you walk you through it hit me up bro
Old 02-01-2013, 02:53 AM   #8
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxbomerss2 View Post
hell i'd do it for you if you lived near me, im 22...although ive taken transmissions out and done clutch jobs....no engine work...yet, but dude legit its super easy if i had even half a decent camera i would have done a complete DIY but i didn't the only tools you need are a screw driver and a flat head, a long flathead though to get that clip off, thats the only "hard" part about it. i honestly love driving so much more now! if you need help or want me to help you walk you through it hit me up bro
Do you need to remove the exhaust to do the selector rod? Or is it possible to do it without removing it
Old 02-01-2013, 03:18 AM   #9
bronxbomerss2

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Do you need to remove the exhaust to do the selector rod? Or is it possible to do it without removing it
NO! I CAN'T SAY IT ENOUGH! sorry haha but no absolutely not i don't understand those who say you need to. Its not even a question of well it makes it easier...no it doesn't its not even remotely necessary! the clip is completely visible without removing the exhaust or drive shaft, like i said all you need is a long flat head to push the clip off the selector rod and then push the selector rod towards the driver side and is comes out and the shifter lever is free and it comes out like butter from the top end inside the car. I did this in my garage (with 2 propane heaters mind you since its freezing in IL) and 2 jack stands! on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being changing your headlight bub, id give this a easy 2. the difference is quit dramatic in my opinion, again best mod ive done in any car. the whole reason i have a 5speed is the love of shifting and this makes it a hell of a lot more fun!
Old 02-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
BringsMeWomen

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Wow this is convincing me to do this... Do you like the feel of it when driving and does the UUC feel any better or are they comparable. Have you heard anything about the UUC? Thanks
BringsMeWomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #11
serdar255

Can you post a link, I cannot find it.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:20 AM   #12
bronxbomerss2

I don't have any experiance with the UUC SSK so I can't offer any review there but from what I hear there great but as an alternative this is a better bang for your buck IMO and as for the feel of shifting its night and day ! The shifts are so much more crisp and engaging I have a grin on my face half the time going through the gears!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App
Old 02-05-2013, 02:23 AM   #13
bronxbomerss2

Quote:
Originally Posted by serdar255 View Post
Can you post a link, I cannot find it.
It's on their website getbmwparts.com go to sales/ specials then e46 fanatics and I thinks its mid way down on page 3 you'll see it ! I opted for the zhp shift knob insted of the shift knob they offer in their kit

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App
Old 02-05-2013, 06:26 AM   #14
serdar255

Thanks

Old 02-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #15
Jason@Tischer
Your #1 OEM BMW Part Source

My Ride: '02 Dinan 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Jason@Tischer
Quote:
Originally Posted by serdar255 View Post
Thanks
Here's a direct link to our BMW Performance Specials page on the site where you'll find the E46 Short-shift Kits.

Also - thanks for the review OP!

Email getHelp@getBMWparts.com AIM: Jason at Tischer
Follow us on: FaceBook | Twitter | YouTube
Jason@Tischer is offline   Reply With Quote