E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
DetroitFarher

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Eonon 5150 + extension harness Question

Am I going to have to repin this? I think I do, as the unit does not function with this extension harness. Looks like this harness is still for the old Eonon model.

Last edited by DetroitFarher; 11-18-2013 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1384788067
DetroitFarher is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:06 AM   #2
asdetail

My Ride: 2002 325ci coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitFarher View Post
Am I going to have to repin this? I think I do, as the unit does not function with this extension harness. Looks like this harness is still for the old Eonon model.

you are 100% correct,from your photo it looks to me like it is the d5113 model connector,i know because I still have a d5113 on a shelf in my garage,probably will need to rearrange the wiring or cut off the connector on the short lead and splice it in.

(update) yes it is the d5113 connector, I just compared mine with your photo,sorry to be the bearer of bad news,
asdetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:08 AM   #3
DetroitFarher

I've already repinned it. Other than the Illum, it works perfectly. Unfortunately, the "fakra" cable doesn't have an illum pin, so I am just tapping a +12V interior light that only works with the parking lights on.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
daki_bmw

My Ride: 330Ci
There's no ILLUM pin because there's nothing to illuminate if the unit is in the trunk. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. All of the ilummination happens in the front, where the monitor/control unit is...the one which has those two connectors, useless for this kind of install. But, somewhere inside those connectors is the ILLUM wire...we would just have to figure out which one.

There's another option, too - you can disable headlight detect in the options and in that case your button LEDs will be on everytime the unit's on. There are two negatives to that approach: first, if the unit's off, even if your headlight's are on, unit's buttons will be off. Personal preference, but I wouldn't like that. Second, you loose dimming screen feature that way.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
DetroitFarher

I'll just find a 12v that's only hot when the interior lights are on (Like the overhead lamp lights or some such thing) and tap that to the Illum lead on the 5150 plug.

I snipped the 5150 end and rewired that to the fakra cable.

Doesn't address the antenna issue (connector is in the trunk, and with the factory nav there is NO room for a standard antenna connector). I'll get it figured out this weekend.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
daki_bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitFarher View Post
I'll just find a 12v that's only hot when the interior lights are on (Like the overhead lamp lights or some such thing) and tap that to the Illum lead on the 5150 plug....
Ashtray light? It's close to the unit and very easy to get to.

EDIT: Ooops, sorry... "INTERIOR lights"? Why interior lights? Why do you want it to be on while your doors are opened?

Last edited by daki_bmw; 11-28-2013 at 12:49 PM.
daki_bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #7
DetroitFarher

what I meant was any light that only comes on when the parking lights are on. I've wired it this way in hundreds of other cars. I used to be an installer for a custom audio shop many, many years ago.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
daki_bmw

Oh, yeah, that's what I meant initially...then I read "interior" and I was confused. Well, since you were installer you obviously know what you are doing. If I'd have to do it, I would either find ILLUM wire in small OEM connector, or splice it to ashtray light.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
DetroitFarher

I really want to integrate as much as possible, so I am trying to find the illum out at the back of the car and pull it up to the front for the neatest install. The antenna issue I am working on as well. It's a holiday here, but I think I've found a 90 degree motorola antenna plug that will allow me to use an amplified antenna mounted under my headliner to get far greater radio reception. As for the iPod connector, Wolf covered that well, but I don't really use my iPod anymore as I have a Nokia Lumia Windows phone, so stream bluetooth audio is fine with me.