E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #21
jchuillier

My Ride: 330CD
Ok, got a 12V 5V converter and a 7 port hub on ebay for $10 shipping included

I'll play with it when it gets there...tomorrow is rooting time

Good night
jchuillier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #22
mintimperial

My Ride: 2003 530i Sport
Confirmed the forced update method is working. We've got Phokus on here to try it on his 4.0.4 unit stuck in a bootloop. Forced update and it came back to life, so I hear. So there is definitely now a get-out clause We have used it on our units weve managed to screw up by messing with the system, but good to know it can work for others and is universal.

Last edited by mintimperial; 01-26-2013 at 05:40 PM. Reason: more info
mintimperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #23
siffion

My Ride: 330ci Vert M Sport
Well done Phil its gelling well now
siffion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #24
PainBreak

My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintimperial View Post
Confirmed the forced update method is working. We've got Phokus on here to try it on his 4.0.4 unit stuck in a bootloop. Forced update and it came back to life, so I hear. So there is definitely now a get-out clause We have used it on our units weve managed to screw up by messing with the system, but good to know it can work for others and is universal.
This is excellent news, and I want to thank you for sharing this with the community. There's no understating the importance of being able force recovery mode, particularly for development.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:22 AM   #25
jchuillier

While we're at it and to make sure people don't go flashing anything...

MD5 for update.zip from the forums (and not the shiity version from Charles) : 47678a0e749079733907d63f7f8309ce

MD5 for Painbreak's framework.jar : 2f230ff9285c3dabd72990512b6475af

List of apps to be installed when the device is rooted for those of you who are not familiar with android system, these apps are accessible from the playstore and free, we'l get to the hacked apps later on

1) superuser : this one allows certain apps to get special privileges, that's the main reason for rooting the device anyway
2) titanium backup : allows you to back up your system apps, user apps, settings....please pay for this one, it can be hacked but if you pay for just one app pay for this one....
3) adaway : blocks the ads in the apps
4) clockwork rom manager : allows you to install new roms (so not useful yet but it will come....)

If you feel lucky and want to play some more

1) Setcpu : Overclocking CPU and playing with voltages
2) andftp : ftp client
3) atorrent : torrent client
4) bimmer : get this forum in the car...
5) cpuspy : if you overclock you can check if it's useful
6) onymous app installer : lets you install apk (android programs) without going through play store
7) startup manager or gemini app manager : allows you to decide which apps autostarts and which app doesn't
8) terminal emulator : terminal mode to play with adb commands
9) root app delete : allows you to delete the system apps and what charles included in the rom at start, DANGEROUS, you can delete ANTYHING with this one, even the vital stuff....
Old 01-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #26
jchuillier

One funny thing.

I installed the update.zip file from the sd card slot on the left of the unit (so not the map slot) and it worked.

However I cannot get es explorer to see this card, weird....so I had to move the superuser apk with dropobox and it worked but it's weird....
Old 01-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #27
mintimperial

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchuillier View Post
One funny thing.

I installed the update.zip file from the sd card slot on the left of the unit (so not the map slot) and it worked.

However I cannot get es explorer to see this card, weird....so I had to move the superuser apk with dropobox and it worked but it's weird....
Are you sure? As far as I'm aware there is no connection to the android board.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #28
PainBreak

I was wondering the same thing... It will still say "There's an update available...Install?"even if there's no update.zip to be found. It will still reboot, but you will get the robot with the triangle exclamation rather than the one with a glowing, rotating buckyball and a progress bar that shows it's actually updating.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #29
CTRob

My Ride: Alpine white e39
Quote:
Originally Posted by PainBreak View Post
I was wondering the same thing... It will still say "There's an update available...Install?"even if there's no update.zip to be found. It will still reboot, but you will get the robot with the triangle exclamation rather than the one with a glowing, rotating buckyball and a progress bar that shows it's actually updating.
Folks are we saying there is no mini sd card slot that can be read from the Android media players? IE are we able to play music stored on sd cards or not?
CTRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #30
mintimperial

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRob View Post
Folks are we saying there is no mini sd card slot that can be read from the Android media players? IE are we able to play music stored on sd cards or not?
Hi Rob,

No there are dual SD card slots. The Android slot is on the right hand side and works perfectly with Mp3 etc.

The left hand side is for the wince side of the unit and isn't connected to the android board.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #31
Kripas

My Ride: 04 325ci convertible
FYI this is her. Got from her signature mail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1359342232.453846.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	488091  
Kripas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #32
PainBreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRob View Post
No, we're saying that there are separate MicroSD slots for each "side" of the unit, and by putting it in the left one, it's impossible for Android to have read it, as MicroSD communicates via a copper data bus, not osmosis. The right hand slot works perfectly well for Android, and I have a 32GB Class 10 card in there right now.

Last edited by PainBreak; 01-27-2013 at 11:12 PM.
PainBreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:06 AM   #33
jchuillier

Ah, so then it tells me it updated but it didn't.....but somehow es explorer tells me I'm rooted....weird....I'll fire the update again from the other slot and see what happens....
Old 01-28-2013, 04:06 AM   #34
CTRob

Guys quick one on the new units, do they come with the bracket holder or cage to fit into the car?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:11 AM   #35
jchuillier

Depends on your existing car, I had the big navi unit and the enco fits inside except the fact that the DTV antenna is preventing it from sliding all the way in...

If you have a small bmw system then you'll need to play more....
Old 01-28-2013, 04:31 AM   #36
CTRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchuillier View Post
Depends on your existing car, I had the big navi unit and the enco fits inside except the fact that the DTV antenna is preventing it from sliding all the way in...

If you have a small bmw system then you'll need to play more....
Thanks jchuillier!
Old 01-28-2013, 04:53 AM   #37
jchuillier

No, prob, I do the euro time support and painbreak is in charge of the night
Old 01-28-2013, 08:01 AM   #38
mintimperial

Just out of interest does anyone get an SD card damaged warning, even though their SD seems fine?

Im concerned it may be a rom issue?

Also trying to get tom-tom running but no luck...it cant find the files on the sd card, even after altering metadata.xml

To add to this, I think it could be a rom issue here - A few apps tell me memory card is inaccessible, but i can see it using es file explorer and music can see mp3s etc. Ive just switched cards to a samsung 32gb class 10, and same issue.

Could it be that these apps are looking for mnt/sdcard when the actual path to the sd is mnt/ext_sd ?

ES File Explorer can get navigated to three directories..

/sdcard
/mnt/ext_sd

Both go to the Micro SD in Map slot

/mnt/sdcard

is empty and doesnt seem accessible.

Last edited by mintimperial; 01-28-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #39
mintimperial

Made a video showing this issue.

i do believe the issue is with /mnt/sdcard

It shows as empty in es file explorer, and sd car analyst detects no sd card..im sure its just a path issue.

Just so you know what youre looking at, i show that /sdcard/ and /mnt/ext_sd/ both refer to the sd card in the map slot, however when i go to /mnt/sdcard/ it is empty and can't be written to....also, es file explorer complains when attempting to analyse the sd.

heres a screenshot of the properties for /mnt/sdcard/ :

Note the read/write permissions.

Last edited by mintimperial; 01-28-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #40
PainBreak

/mnt/sdcard is a 1GB partition carved out of the internal NAND storage.
/mnt/ext_sd is your external sd card.

If /mnt/sdcard is showing as damaged, or empty, there's an issue with the NAND partition.

As far as writing to the external card goes, some factory roms has the write_external_storage permission turned off.

To fix this, we can edit /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml and add the following lines:
Code:

Well, apparently this forum can't properly parse the code if I paste that info inline, here it is on pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/h549v15q

Last edited by PainBreak; 01-28-2013 at 09:59 AM.
PainBreak is offline   Reply With Quote