E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 03:13 AM   #101
Marty19

My Ride: 2004 330 ci Vert
I have just installed a powered USB hub in order to connect all of my USB devices at once and this is working fine.

I am sure I read somewhere that it was possible to keep the Android side of the unit 'alive' via USB power when the car ignition is off. This would remove the long boot up time I currently have but is is really possible?

Failing that, does anyone have any tips for improving the Android boot time?
Marty19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #102
jchuillier

My Ride: 330CD
For the Android boot time I have the solution....

I go out of the house 5 minutes before leaving, turn the car on with the seat heater on, my old ass is warm and Android is booted up

Seriously it's also not a bad idea to start the engine 5 mins before leaving to get water and oil at the proper temp, then all you need to od is being careful for the first 5 minutes to warm the gearbox and THEN you can be the road warrior
jchuillier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #103
cssvb94

My Ride: 320D E46
Is it my imagination or after rooting and applying the framework the GPS fix time is less and more accurate?
cssvb94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:27 AM   #104
chouch

My Ride: X5
After toying this things and going through every detail, I do not recommend buying this unit for anyone; It is simply not worth the money:

- China is China: First item shipped to me was not working, missing lots of cables ... had to return for another unit which cost me an additional $140 shipping and custom charges
- Bluetooth and Steering Control: bluetooth is only on wince part and not working on Android side. If you pair your mobile (in my case iphone 4) with the device, the steering control works 1 in 10 times ... unbearable!
- Radio and Sound: Sound is very loud in my case (x5 2001) and installing a LOC (based on the reviews) does not solve the problem. The radio software is a disaster, the steering controls does not change channel, instead it changes the channel frequency
- Random Selection on boot: it has its own mind, on almost every boot, the system decides where to go and it is something very annoying
- Fan: not matter what you do, within a 30min of operation the fan will turn on and it is louder than your music (Yes the unit installed properly and nothing is blocking the fan)
- iPOD: the UI sucks, there is no album cover or anything

You get what you paid for? Actually that is not true, I got less then what I paid for, this unit is worth absolutely nothing ... there is no support to back it as well.

If you think you can live with the downsides aboves, then probably this unit is for you.
chouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:47 AM   #105
Marty19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouch View Post
After toying this things and going through every detail, I do not recommend buying this unit for anyone; It is simply not worth the money:

- China is China: First item shipped to me was not working, missing lots of cables ... had to return for another unit which cost me an additional $140 shipping and custom charges
- Bluetooth and Steering Control: bluetooth is only on wince part and not working on Android side. If you pair your mobile (in my case iphone 4) with the device, the steering control works 1 in 10 times ... unbearable!
- Radio and Sound: Sound is very loud in my case (x5 2001) and installing a LOC (based on the reviews) does not solve the problem. The radio software is a disaster, the steering controls does not change channel, instead it changes the channel frequency
- Random Selection on boot: it has its own mind, on almost every boot, the system decides where to go and it is something very annoying
- Fan: not matter what you do, within a 30min of operation the fan will turn on and it is louder than your music (Yes the unit installed properly and nothing is blocking the fan)
- iPOD: the UI sucks, there is no album cover or anything

You get what you paid for? Actually that is not true, I got less then what I paid for, this unit is worth absolutely nothing ... there is no support to back it as well.

If you think you can live with the downsides aboves, then probably this unit is for you.
As with most things, there are those who have a good experience and those that have a bad one. My experience was a little better than Chouch.

- unit installed easily and looks good
- sound is better than factory unit
- supplied wifi dongle did not work but replacement purchased from ebay
- used usb hub to also connect 3g dongle. One supplied by Samba Mobile did not work but replacement purchased from ebay
- finally got Torque working though usb but have since decided I probably wont use it very often (but at least it works!)

Overall I am happy with the unit. I looks good, sounds fine, plays music, video and radio with no problems. Android a bit slow to boot but can live with that. Connections to wifi and 3g all setup and working and Candy Crush Saga installed for those Traffic Jam moments
Old 02-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #106
TaintedSoul

My Ride: E46 M3
Hi chaps,

First like to say this is probably the most productive thread to date on the Android units!! And hacking of the ROM is great to see.

Although I have the ENCO B06 2.3 Android and it's far from nice.

Problems:
1. No sound in Android, tried various sound settings and nothing works. I know Bluetooth from phone and use phone. No what I had in mind.

2. Click on GPS and it crashes to Android desktop.

Now a question to all the people? WinCE side and Android. Everyone seems to indicated that both WinCE and Android are running on these units together?

Unless this board has advanced virtualization running that's impossible. It's either WinCE running or Android. Both will have an overlay over desktop OS. Someone please correct me?

Last edited by TaintedSoul; 02-25-2013 at 03:16 AM.
TaintedSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #107
jchuillier

My Ride: 330CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty19 View Post
Just to let you know that Torque works fine via USB
Hello Marty,

Got my USB ODB adapter, the blue one from your Ebay link.

It is seen by android because it tells me it want to start torque when i plug it in but I can't get the adapter to talk to torque pro 1.5.70 which is supposed to be the last one...

Can you tell us about your USB settings ? Speed, device and so on ?

Thanks
jchuillier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #108
Marty19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchuillier View Post
Hello Marty,

Got my USB ODB adapter, the blue one from your Ebay link.

It is seen by android because it tells me it want to start torque when i plug it in but I can't get the adapter to talk to torque pro 1.5.70 which is supposed to be the last one...

Can you tell us about your USB settings ? Speed, device and so on ?

Thanks
Only settings I have set are:
Connection Type: USB
Faster Communication: ticked
USB Device: 1027
Baud Rate: automatic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130225_121851.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	492368  
Old 02-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #109
daki_bmw

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchuillier View Post
...Seriously it's also not a bad idea to start the engine 5 mins before leaving to get water and oil at the proper temp...
OT (I try to stay away from Android threads) but I had to mention it - no, actually it's not a good idea. Read your owner's manual. Also, there are tens of threads about this. Diesels should be very similar.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #110
Crnagora94

My Ride: BMW
hello friends,

I have a question. I have the old version 2.3 and have had many problems with the software. I can use the update from post 1?

thank you
Crnagora94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #111
kaciker

My Ride: E90 320d
The provider has given us solution to enter to recovery mode for the unit Enco B090.
I have read everything, and I do not see anyone saying anything about this.

The system is easy,
Put you rom in the root of the sd (update)
Then open the lower cover unit.
With a thin cable that has a piece looking for ground, and with the other end of the pin number 13 (the photo).
Now, turn on the unit and go to the Navi, Then the robot start in recovery mode and load the rom.

It's easy right?
I've tried it two times and it works (bmw e90 B090) even if the unit is practically the same as for e46

Tanks to jmorales bmwfaq.com spain

Last edited by kaciker; 02-26-2013 at 03:31 PM.
kaciker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #112
kaciker

My Ride: E90 320d
Torque by usb, whit hidden wires

Last edited by kaciker; 02-28-2013 at 02:10 PM.
kaciker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #113
monty13

My Ride: 1999 e46 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaciker View Post
The provider has given us solution to enter to recovery mode for the unit Enco B090.
I have read everything, and I do not see anyone saying anything about this.

The system is easy,
Put you rom in the root of the sd (update)
Then open the lower cover unit.
With a thin cable that has a piece looking for ground, and with the other end of the pin number 13 (the photo).
Now, turn on the unit and go to the Navi, Then the robot start in recovery mode and load the rom.

It's easy right?
I've tried it two times and it works (bmw e90 B090) even if the unit is practically the same as for e46

Tanks to jmorales bmwfaq.com spain
Does anybody have an update file for the 'old' android 2.3 version? My android side is still stuck in a bootloop, but I'm guessing I can use this method to get out of it. Just thinking I will need a clean ROM to update it with...
Old 03-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #114
asdetail

My Ride: 2002 325ci coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kripas View Post
FYI this is her. Got from her signature mail.
def charles with wig
asdetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #115
tnhl1989

My Ride: 02 330xi(RIP),03 ZHP
Send a message via Skype™ to tnhl1989
Just got my unit. I will update you all how everything goes.
tnhl1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #116
tnhl1989

Seems like the android sound works a lot better now.

On a side note the mediafire file is gone. Does anyone have this file?

So overall the android screen stop functioning. I tried the force recover up top. However now nothing shows up when I click Navi. What to do now?

Last edited by tnhl1989; 03-07-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #117
tnhl1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty13 View Post
Does anybody have an update file for the 'old' android 2.3 version? My android side is still stuck in a bootloop, but I'm guessing I can use this method to get out of it. Just thinking I will need a clean ROM to update it with...
I tried this but I don't believe it actually works.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #118
monty13

My Ride: 1999 e46 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnhl1989 View Post
I tried this but I don't believe it actually works.
monty13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #119
tnhl1989

Now the android side doesn't even work going to have a chat with charles soon.

Last edited by tnhl1989; 03-08-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #120
PainBreak

My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnhl1989 View Post
Now the android side doesn't even work going to have a chat with charles soon.
It sounds to me as if you jumped in with both feet, without knowing how to swim. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but from the PMs I received from you, and your posts in this thread, I still haven't been able to figure out why you would take your radio apart, and try to jump the pins. Did you think that was necessary in order to root the device? Because it's not.

In other, unrelated news, I believe I have a fix for what I like to call the "Enco Shuffle" where the CANBUS interface starts randomly selecting a screen at startup. This would be for pretty much every Enco radio with this issue, both WinCE and Android. More on this to come...

Last edited by PainBreak; 03-08-2013 at 05:18 PM.
PainBreak is offline   Reply With Quote