E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 01:31 AM   #1
freys330

My Ride: 04 330Ci SMG
Take care guys, im out and into new wheels... caution Prius content!

So that time has come where I sadly say goodbye to my e46. I bought it in March of 2010, with 70k and now at years-end leave it with 99k. I decided to sell it mainly because once the CPO warranty ended on it, the costs to repair/fix it started to become unrealistic. New years eve I took it in after waking up and finding a quart of oil on the floor. Ended up costing me $455 to repair. Three days later the expansion tank blew, BMW then wanted $1100, which I declined and had done at another shop for $300. With all these problems happening so close together I was not willing to take the risk with any further problems. ** For those looking to bash and say "You should have saved your money for repairs." The fact of the matter is I do have the money to repair this car, I personally would rather use it for other more important things in life rather than a car.

I walked in to my local Lexus dealer looking for a 2010/2011 Lexus IS250/IS350 and after going back and forth with pricing decided to drive home, have some lunch and think it through. While reading the paper, I found an advertising for another local Toyota dealership offering a 7k discount on all remaining 2010 Prius models. I told myself no way in hell was I ever going to go into a Prius, but decided ahh what the heck, lets go see them. I walked in at 5pm and left at 7pm with a 2010 Prius. Fully loaded, leather, JBL audio, HID, bluetooth, iPod int, and more. Brand new, has 12 miles on it.

The reason that sold me was that I do 1500+ miles a month, and with gas going up, my constant commuting, and a car that was costing me unbelievable amounts in repair the choice was obvious. Toyota has really stepped up their game, offering Toyota Care. I ended up getting them to throw in the 3yr/36k full maintenance package which covers everything from oil to breaks.

I leased it for 3yrs, put $5000 down and got my payments to $175/mo. Kinda steep, I know, but with the savings, and peace of mind it was well worth it. The best part is Toyota has this "rule" which states, if you go over your allowed mileage during your lease, they will not charge you for the extra miles so long as you purchase another Toyota/Lexus. Since my parents were looking to sell their Toyo Landcruiser three years from now, I will just have them buy a Toyo when my lease is up..... since after all I know im going to not buy another JDM.

As for amusement on the weekends, I still have my 03 F250 7.3L Diesel, and my 06 Vette for "fun". -- This prius is purely my daily beater.

Here is a pic:

Comment away!

Last edited by freys330; 01-10-2011 at 01:33 AM.
freys330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:33 AM   #2
sgplayer69

My Ride: 2003 CB M3 Coupe
Prius good luck with it anyway! have you sold your car yet?
Old 01-10-2011, 01:34 AM   #3
freys330

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgplayer69 View Post
Prius good luck with it anyway! have you sold your car yet?
Nope... I got offered 8k at Lexus... I paid 16k for it in March... Im looking for $11-12k.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:35 AM   #4
3bananas

My Ride: 1998 328is
seems logical

Old 01-10-2011, 01:35 AM   #5
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Glad you are going with honda, and glad you are going.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:37 AM   #6
GRIDLOCK

My Ride: E36 / E46
In the end, you gotta do what's best for ya. The Prius looks nice, from that picture angle anyways.

Have an EVAP code? Replacing gas cap did not fix? Give me a holler, I can do a smoke test for ya.
GRIDLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:38 AM   #7
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
prius' are definitely great cars for everyday use. Just watch out when backing up to the right. For some reason, lots of them hit things there.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:39 AM   #8
freys330

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bananas View Post
seems logical
yeah... it wasn't my dream, but for the time being it works.

My girlfriend of 4 years sold her 04 325ci for a '10 solara limited convertable last year and she loves it. She was all for me getting a toyo/lexus, so she is happy with the purchase. Beats her turing all when I mention to her my car is in the shop...again.. lol

Maybe ill get some sexy time more often!
Old 01-10-2011, 01:40 AM   #9
freys330

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIDLOCK View Post
In the end, you gotta do what's best for ya. The Prius looks nice, from that picture angle anyways.
Yeah, its a decent looking car, and for this time of my life its what I need. So you gotta do something with curves life throws at you.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:44 AM   #10
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
But everyone knows BMWs are best for the curves, whether the boobie kind or the twisty kind.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:47 AM   #11
freys330

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
But everyone knows BMWs are best for the curves, whether the boobie kind or the twisty kind.
True. True.

but ive got a vette to take care of my curves lol..
Old 01-10-2011, 01:52 AM   #12
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
the last prius i drove was an early model. it felt like a golf cart if that makes sense. the way it accelerated was strange.
and while the driving experience might not bring a smile to your face i'm sure the 42+ mpg city rating will...
good color too. not a bad car at all.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:14 AM   #13
GRIDLOCK

My Ride: E36 / E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by freys330 View Post
Yeah, its a decent looking car, and for this time of my life its what I need. So you gotta do something with curves life throws at you.
I'll drink to that.

Have an EVAP code? Replacing gas cap did not fix? Give me a holler, I can do a smoke test for ya.
GRIDLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:20 AM   #14
thefrog1394

My Ride: e46- 1999 323i
20k miles in 10 months and you have 3 cars? Thats a lot of driving, I guess if it ever makes sense to get a Prius it would make sense for you

Photo in Cleveland, Ohio
1999 323i - Totaled at 265,000 miles.
Now an e30 & e90 owner.
thefrog1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:27 AM   #15
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
If you commute over 30K miles a year, that's a very good choice.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:41 AM   #16
southpaw

My Ride: E36 M3 and E36 318ti
Hahahahahha what a joke.

You might as well have surgically removed your balls and given them to the Toyota dealership.

Too bad the Prius doesn't get great MPGs and is less environmentally friendly as Hummer H1.

Oh and have fun with all the gas pedal, traction control, ABS, floor mat, and all the other super duper issues that Toyota is having.

Have fun! My catless 8mpg M3 and my turbo diesel F350 thank you

239whp/227wtq @2700lbs
southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:09 AM   #17
Avet4

My Ride: 2004 330i 6spd
I hope you enjoy the car, but I personally would have gone with a Golf TDI. I never understood why anybody would buy a hybrid over a VW diesel.
Avet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:29 AM   #18
stockmwk

My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
just please dont be one of those people who think that its a "green" car. those batteries use rare earth metals that are mined over in japan or china, cant recall which right now. also i believe that if you get into an accident and the batteries are hit, you're gonna get tagged with a fee for the hazmat crew that has to come out and clean up the mess. other than that just dont drive it in california (scrolled up to look at your location...fail) because there was an article about prius' being targeted by environment activists and just starting them on fire. oh and remember to be careful in parking lots, pedestrians can't hear your car at low speeds because it is really quiet in comparison to normal vehicles.

other than that, enjoy. and yeah a nice diesel would've been fun as well. kudos for being able to afford that many vehicles.

Last edited by stockmwk; 01-10-2011 at 04:33 AM.
stockmwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:47 AM   #19
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmwk View Post
just please dont be one of those people who think that its a "green" car. those batteries use rare earth metals that are mined over in japan or china, cant recall which right now. also i believe that if you get into an accident and the batteries are hit, you're gonna get tagged with a fee for the hazmat crew that has to come out and clean up the mess. other than that just dont drive it in california (scrolled up to look at your location...fail) because there was an article about prius' being targeted by environment activists and just starting them on fire. oh and remember to be careful in parking lots, pedestrians can't hear your car at low speeds because it is really quiet in comparison to normal vehicles.

other than that, enjoy. and yeah a nice diesel would've been fun as well. kudos for being able to afford that many vehicles.
lolwut? any specifics on the first one? the batteries are as well protected as a gas tank. And no, they're not designed to "drop out the bottom of the car" in case of accident. And no, it won't automatically total your car when it doesn't happen.

As far as pedestrians go, how much noise does your car make when you're rolling through the parking lot with your foot off the gas? Did you strip all the insulation out from around your engine bay and are running open headers? Ever heard a new non-hybrid toyota start up? once it's running, they're whisper quiet from the outside.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:03 AM   #20
stockmwk

My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
lolwut? any specifics on the first one? the batteries are as well protected as a gas tank. And no, they're not designed to "drop out the bottom of the car" in case of accident. And no, it won't automatically total your car when it doesn't happen.

As far as pedestrians go, how much noise does your car make when you're rolling through the parking lot with your foot off the gas? Did you strip all the insulation out from around your engine bay and are running open headers? Ever heard a new non-hybrid toyota start up? once it's running, they're whisper quiet from the outside.
specifics on the rare earth metals or hazmat? and i know that it isn't in every case but a possibility. by no means am i expecting a fender bender to deploy batteries all over the street.

as far as the noise...they're just quiet, dont ask me. i just read about it in like car and driver one time and they posted db numbers on it.