E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Love Line

Love Line

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
HellFish
Registered User
 
HellFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 468
My Ride: BMW
Send a message via AIM to HellFish
Kind of on the fence here

I have talked about this situation before but cliff notes..

Been dating this girl for about a year and I only have positive things to say about her - gets along with my family, we never fight, we have fun together, we enjoy the same stuff, she couldn't be a nicer person etc... I am 26 btw and she's around the same age.

Only problem is - I just don't feel that deep attraction to her. I don't know if I can say "I love you". We've been dating for about a year and I kind of feel like if I don't feel that way by now, I don't think I will. I hate to break up with someone that is so great on paper but I am just not sure... And if you have to ask if its the right person its not... right?

For you married people - is that deep emotional connection essential for a marriage to work?

I have already broken up with her once about 5 months ago because of the same feelings but we got back together in the hopes of developing that deeper level of chemistry. I still don't feel it. She was devastated the first time I broke up with her... my stomach is churning over doing it again.

In the end I hate to lose someone that is such a great partner, and would make a great life partner... its just the attraction and emotional connection. What is weird is I find her physically attractive, but still not "attracted to her"... That is weird to me.
__________________

Last edited by HellFish; 10-21-2011 at 12:21 PM.
HellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
HellFish
Registered User
 
HellFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 468
My Ride: BMW
Send a message via AIM to HellFish
I was reading some stuff online and found this... Thought it summed up my situation greatly.

Quote:
It's often the case that one person puts more energy, desire, and expectation into the relationship while the other kind of hangs out comfortably, going about life and waiting for the partner's next round of complaints. This can go on for a very long time-so long that you'll be dead at the end of it. It's much better to partner up with someone with whom you share a deep connection. As far as your questions go: A great guy, job, house, and dog are definitely enough to lead a productive and possibly content life, but they are very often not enough to quench your thirst for intimacy. Are you greedy for wanting that? No. Can one relationship satisfy all your needs? Definitely not. Friends, family, and coworkers should satisfy many of your social and emotional needs-but not your need for primary connection and deep-rooted intimacy. Those two should be satisfied by your partner.
__________________
HellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
CollinsE90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The bar
Posts: 340
My Ride: 330i
You could be the problem, anything in your past that would make it tough for you to commit emotionally?
__________________
CollinsE90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
HellFish
Registered User
 
HellFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 468
My Ride: BMW
Send a message via AIM to HellFish
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
You could be the problem, anything in your past that would make it tough for you to commit emotionally?
ya I dated a girl for 5 years before she cheated on me, and then left me... thought we were going to get married etc... This happened 2 years ago, and the last time I spoke to her was 1 year ago (that one year we were still talking I thought there was still a chance).

Still not over it but honestly, it could be many many years, if ever, that I do get over it. I can't just "not date" anyone while I am dealing with this or I wouldn't date at all.
__________________
HellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:03 PM   #5
Mr.Jack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: TN
Posts: 56
My Ride: M3
This is the feeling girls have when they friend zone a guy and refuse to admit they have feelings for them.
Mr.Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
CollinsE90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The bar
Posts: 340
My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellFish View Post
ya I dated a girl for 5 years before she cheated on me, and then left me... thought we were going to get married etc... This happened 2 years ago, and the last time I spoke to her was 1 year ago (that one year we were still talking I thought there was still a chance).

Still not over it but honestly, it could be many many years, if ever, that I do get over it. I can't just "not date" anyone while I am dealing with this or I wouldn't date at all.
There's no point in dating if you can't get over the past one, my advice would be to go back and fix whatever that break-up was before you continue. Make amends with her, forgive her and let it all go. You'll never get over it until you make the point to actually get over it. Sitting around dating won't do it for some people. That is if she is civil and mature to talk, and don't go in wanting her back.
__________________
CollinsE90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
nvoges
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 159
My Ride: 01 325i
This sounds like me to a "T". I just broke off another 6 month relationship because I didn't "feel" it again. I feel your pain, but don't have any answers for you.
nvoges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
HellFish
Registered User
 
HellFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 468
My Ride: BMW
Send a message via AIM to HellFish
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
There's no point in dating if you can't get over the past one, my advice would be to go back and fix whatever that break-up was before you continue. Make amends with her, forgive her and let it all go. You'll never get over it until you make the point to actually get over it. Sitting around dating won't do it for some people. That is if she is civil and mature to talk, and don't go in wanting her back.
Problem with that is, she doesn't admit that she did anything wrong. I didn't have any "proof" that she was physically cheating on me, but I did have proof that she was emotionally cheating on me. I caught her going out with guys, not telling them she had a boyfriend etc... Found one text from her to a guy that said "Sorry I kept you up so late last night".... ya.

So anyway - ya I can forgive her within myself, but if I call her up on the phone and say "I forgive you!", that would be pointless because she doesn't think she did anything wrong. At this point I still think talking to her would be too painful. Maybe in another year or so.
__________________
HellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:21 PM   #9
HellFish
Registered User
 
HellFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 468
My Ride: BMW
Send a message via AIM to HellFish
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvoges View Post
This sounds like me to a "T". I just broke off another 6 month relationship because I didn't "feel" it again. I feel your pain, but don't have any answers for you.
any advice on the logistics? How did you do it? What did you say?
__________________
HellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
nvoges
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 159
My Ride: 01 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellFish View Post
any advice on the logistics? How did you do it? What did you say?
I wish I did; but I really don't.

I always keep one woman around until I find the next one that won't work
I'm actually in a somewhat similar relationship as you. I dated a girl for 4yrs, lived with her for 1.5. I broke up with her but then found out I still have feelings (this has been 2 yrs ago). I thought I was over her, but I guess not. I broke her heart and I'm not sure how to handle it. I've dated several other girls but at the end of the day I think my heart is still with her. I'm really not sure that I'll be happy with any other woman at this point.

Just recently I actually got back in contact with her (she moved 1000 miles away) and hopefully it works out. Sorry for the rant, but I guess I can relate a little to your situation.

Last edited by nvoges; 10-21-2011 at 07:58 PM.
nvoges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:28 PM   #11
HellFish
Registered User
 
HellFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 468
My Ride: BMW
Send a message via AIM to HellFish
^^ honestly I think if we meet the right person the exes won't affect it like you think. I met someone great about 18 months ago but she was a lot older and moved away... but I think I got a taste of what its like to be with someone you're really connected to... that wasn't my ex.
__________________
HellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #12
nvoges
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 159
My Ride: 01 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellFish View Post
^^ honestly I think if we meet the right person the exes won't affect it like you think. I met someone great about 18 months ago but she was a lot older and moved away... but I think I got a taste of what its like to be with someone you're really connected to... that wasn't my ex.
Absolutely agreed . I do want to get married and have a family......some day....(i just had my first niece last weekend and she is a sweetheart). With that said, I'm not going to settle with someone just because we get along. I truly believe that she's still out there, I just haven't found the right one yet. I am much happier being single than marrying someone I wasn't 100% sure about.
nvoges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #13
SW222
Banned User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: east coast
Posts: 658
My Ride: is silver and slow.
Let her go man it's unfair to her. You wouldn't want to be treated the same way would you? And once you start to doubt your feelings for someone it ain't gonna un-doubt itself.
SW222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:14 AM   #14
ToKiDoKi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Under the sun
Posts: 30
My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellFish View Post

Only problem is - I just don't feel that deep attraction to her. I don't know if I can say "I love you". We've been dating for about a year and I kind of feel like if I don't feel that way by now, I don't think I will. I hate to break up with someone that is so great on paper but I am just not sure... And if you have to ask if its the right person its not... right?



In the end I hate to lose someone that is such a great partner, and would make a great life partner... its just the attraction and emotional connection. What is weird is I find her physically attractive, but still not "attracted to her"... That is weird to me.
You just answered your own Q
__________________
ToKiDoKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #15
HellFish
Registered User
 
HellFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 468
My Ride: BMW
Send a message via AIM to HellFish
Well I did it. She said that I was her best friend and that I gave her the best year of her life.. Sad.
__________________
HellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:15 AM   #16
CollinsE90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The bar
Posts: 340
My Ride: 330i
Last minute guilt trip, when she finds someone better which isn't an insult but gives her everything you didn't mentally and just as good of a person, she will thank you.
__________________
CollinsE90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:20 AM   #17
invictvs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 143
My Ride: '04 330Ci (6 Speed)
Holy sh*t, I'm in a similar situation as you, except it's been only two months for me. So it doesn't get any better with time??

So weird I just found this thread after leaving her place :-/
__________________
invictvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:41 AM   #18
CMT247
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: seattle
Posts: 74
My Ride: 07 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictvs View Post
Holy sh*t, I'm in a similar situation as you, except it's been only two months for me. So it doesn't get any better with time??

So weird I just found this thread after leaving her place :-/
2 months... I'd give it a little more time, just my opinion though.
CMT247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:49 AM   #19
invictvs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 143
My Ride: '04 330Ci (6 Speed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMT247 View Post
2 months... I'd give it a little more time, just my opinion though.
That was my plan, but reading HellFish's dilemma has made me further doubt it. My issue is sexual chemistry. She's a nice girl and likes to have sensual type sex. She also dresses rather conservatively. I, on the other hand, am a sexual deviant and generally like overtly sexual girls that wear tight skirts and heels and like to have crazy sex. It also doesn't help that I want to bang every hot girl in sight.

HellFish, is that the type of chemistry you're lacking? Do you have emotional, but not sexual chemistry, or sexual and not emotional?
invictvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:29 AM   #20
13//
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BXL/MLT/EST
Posts: 572
My Ride: is immune to modbug
Send a message via MSN to 13//
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictvs View Post
That was my plan, but reading HellFish's dilemma has made me further doubt it. My issue is sexual chemistry. She's a nice girl and likes to have sensual type sex. She also dresses rather conservatively. I, on the other hand, am a sexual deviant and generally like overtly sexual girls that wear tight skirts and heels and like to have crazy sex. It also doesn't help that I want to bang every hot girl in sight.

HellFish, is that the type of chemistry you're lacking? Do you have emotional, but not sexual chemistry, or sexual and not emotional?
I am jus like you... love dem ho's <3
__________________
watch out your comments bro
13// is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use