E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
jizzzoe

My Ride: is no longer E46 :(
Send a message via Yahoo to jizzzoe
Xenon Headlight Help

Hi everyone. My driver side headlight is really annoying. It started after a small accident a year and a half ago where someone backed into me, smashed my hood and pushed my headlights in a little. The shop apparently didn't do a good job of fixing the headlight even though they charged the insurance company a full $800 for a replacement. I now know they didn't actually replace it because my headlight shrouds and high-beam bowls are painted and I know it was my work. The passenger side is fine, but the other one seems to have a loose connection somewhere. For a long time, it was only once in a while when it wouldn't come on. Now, it's out most of the time and only occasionally comes on when I turn the headlights on. Sometimes flipping the brights on or turning the lights on and off a few times will ignite it. Also, sometimes when it's working and I take a corner to the right quickly, usually if I go over a bump around the corner, the light will flash or flicker like something's just loose.

BMW Scanner gives me this:

XENL -> 14/3F - Starting not successful
2A/0A - Terminal 15 < 7,5 Volt
0C/08 - D2S/R-Lamp is off
0D/01 - D2S/R-Lamp gone off several times

I really don't want to take my headlights all the way out and swap ballasts and igniters if I don't have to, so I was hoping someone might have some experience with this. Thanks in advance for any ideas or help you can provide.

My Steel Gray '03 330Ci... I miss you, baby!
MODS: Purely aesthetic… Shadowlined, Smoked and LED'd out!

Last edited by jizzzoe; 05-22-2013 at 11:06 PM.
jizzzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
Loaded325i

My Ride: bmw 325i
First of all if you have proof that they charged the insurance and didnt replace the light. You have an obligation to report that.

Second...the error is reporting that there is less than the required supply voltage to the ballast to fire the light. Think of the ballast as a big charge station. 12v power is fed and then multiplied to 30,000+ volts and then is sent to the bulb for a milisecond until the light fires.

I would make sure the connection going to the ballast is not corroded. A good thing to have is electrical spray. You can get a can at autozone or napa called CRC electrical spray. spray your connections with CRC electrical spray and then get some lithium grease or some dielectric grease and lightly dab a couple times onto the plug before you reinsert. this will protect it from future corrosion.
2004 BMW 325i CW,PP and Sports Package
1996 toyota avalon-263,000-Sold
2003 Lexus Is300-Sold
2000 Acura TL-Sold
2000 Accord 5 speed-Sold
Loaded325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
jizzzoe

My Ride: is no longer E46 :(
Send a message via Yahoo to jizzzoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loaded325i View Post
First of all if you have proof that they charged the insurance and didnt replace the light. You have an obligation to report that.

Second...the error is reporting that there is less than the required supply voltage to the ballast to fire the light. Think of the ballast as a big charge station. 12v power is fed and then multiplied to 30,000+ volts and then is sent to the bulb for a milisecond until the light fires.

I would make sure the connection going to the ballast is not corroded. A good thing to have is electrical spray. You can get a can at autozone or napa called CRC electrical spray. spray your connections with CRC electrical spray and then get some lithium grease or some dielectric grease and lightly dab a couple times onto the plug before you reinsert. this will protect it from future corrosion.
Thanks Loaded. As far as the insurance goes, the shop offered to take the car back and take a look but that was well over a year ago and I was lazy and didn't take it in. My own fault for not taking care of it right away. I thought about calling the insurance but they said they would fix it so I didn't worry about it.

As far as electrical connections, which ones exactly? Obviously I will check the easily accessible connection where the bulb is first, but do I need to take the headlight out to get to the connection on the ballast? Couldn't find anything that shows what the ballast looks like. If someone has or knows where to find pictures of where the ballast is located and where the connections are on it, that would be awesome.

Thank you!

My Steel Gray '03 330Ci... I miss you, baby!
MODS: Purely aesthetic… Shadowlined, Smoked and LED'd out!
jizzzoe is offline   Reply With Quote