E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2015, 07:47 PM   #1
dillymanilli

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
Cooling fan question.

First off I have a 2001 bmw 330ci manual transmission. Just a quick question. I suspect that my cooling fan isn't working. If I place 12v directly to the fan, should the fan work? Thanks guys.
dillymanilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:11 PM   #2
BMW-North

My Ride: Class of '15 Sucks
There are tons of threads on here to help you diagnose a bad fan. I know I've written in a couple

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...5#post13502305

To your question - if you put 12v to the contact points at the fan motor not the pigtail 3 wire connector, you will see if the fan spins. However this is only part of the test.

You need to read the threads to understand the PWM signal, and the relationship between your AC system and the coolant temp sensor etc.

JUst seeing if the fan motor spins doesn't mean anything. It is most oftent he fan relay box screwed onto the shroud that fails.

If you take off the coolant temp sensor and jumper it the fan should spin on high.

If you turn on your AC when the engine temp is higher than 86C and you are idling the fan should spin.

You will need to do a series of tests to pinpoint the exact fault.

Often the coolant temp sensor fails - but the fan is supposed to default on when this occurs. You can test this by starting the car with the sensor disconnected.

Also I posted a thread a few weeks back about replacing the failed relay -

One of my e46's right now is using the fan setup from a Mazda 3 - it is exactly the same as the e46 (except the shroud & pigtail connector) - I used butt connectors to swap on a BMW 3 pin fan connector and transferred the motor, fan blade and wiring to my e46 shroud - I wanted a Bosch unit and I couldn't find one for an e46 - plus the Mazda unit was half price that of a Chinese Behr-Hella POS.

Other fans that will fit are the 2003-2009 Crown Vic - also the same Bosch setup - need to cut n splice the connector too. I'm making a list of vehicles - The driver side fan for the Audi Q7 and the 2012 VW Toureg also works but you have to splice two PWM wires together so It's not so easy.

Anyway - go diagnose the fan
Old 05-21-2015, 09:05 AM   #3
dillymanilli

I jumped the fan with 12v and nothing happened.i suspect the fan is garbage. My fan doesnt have a box mounted up to it like most of the pictures do. Theres simply 3 wires that go right into the fan motor. Everything up to the connector seems good as i have power to the connector and a good ground. Coolant temp senosr new too. Im going to go ahead and get a new fan and see what happens. I will post back what i find.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #4
BMW-North

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillymanilli View Post
I jumped the fan with 12v and nothing happened.i suspect the fan is garbage. My fan doesnt have a box mounted up to it like most of the pictures do. Theres simply 3 wires that go right into the fan motor. Everything up to the connector seems good as i have power to the connector and a good ground. Coolant temp senosr new too. Im going to go ahead and get a new fan and see what happens. I will post back what i find.
Got a pic - Is this an auto or manual? The fan should have a control unit on the shroud unless it was taken off and bypassed.

It is an e46 2001 330 correct?

Here's the fan for a manual

Last edited by BMW-North; 05-21-2015 at 09:18 AM.
BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:18 AM   #5
dillymanilli

interestingly enough, i pulled up to see if there were any recalls on my car and it shows the aux cooling fan was recalled because the circuitry was **** and can become inoperative.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:21 AM   #6
BMW-North

Quote:
interestingly enough, i pulled up to see if there were any recalls on my car and it shows the aux cooling fan was recalled because the circuitry was **** and can become inoperative.
Is this a Transport Canada safety recall - can you post a link to the info?
Old 05-21-2015, 09:22 AM   #7
BMW-North

Show a pic of the three wires bypassing the relay - the fan motor has only POS and NEG so I'm trying to figure out where the PWM (Signal) wire is going???
Old 05-21-2015, 09:36 AM   #8
dillymanilli

My fan looks just like that one except no chrome box mounted on it. The pwr ground and pwm wire go into the center of the fan. The black part
Old 05-21-2015, 09:46 AM   #9
dillymanilli

The fan looks factory. No hacked bypassing. I can't find the link at the moment for the recall. I just googled bmw e46 recalls and it was there. I don't have a pic of my fan
Old 05-21-2015, 10:11 AM   #10
BMW-North

That's the Siemens fan - made in Canada - I've not seen one in person but your model had either the Bosch or Siemens. I have a 2001 that got the Bosch. In fact every e46 I've seen up till now has a Bosch.

If you find a Siemens replacement let me know - It was discontinued.

Last edited by BMW-North; 05-21-2015 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:12 AM   #11
dillymanilli

Yes it is a Siemens. Nice researching!
Old 05-21-2015, 10:17 AM   #12
dillymanilli

Do you know if the automatic electric fan in the front of the radiator will work for the manual?
Old 05-21-2015, 10:21 AM   #13
BMW-North

You could probably buy just the fan motor and move the new motor to the current shroud - it is only three bolts.

Not sure if they are sold new? The siemens fan motor from the e36 would likely work. Used ones are available

Last edited by BMW-North; 06-17-2015 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:24 AM   #14
BMW-North

Quote:
Do you know if the automatic electric fan in the front of the radiator will work for the manual?
I've swapped the control unit and motor from the front Electric fan on an auto to the shroud for a manual but only for Bosch units.

These parts will move between the auto and manual setups:

Last edited by BMW-North; 06-17-2015 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:38 AM   #15
BMW-North

These fan units are killing me. The fan relay (metal box on shroud) dies and it leaves a potential overheat.

The fan setup n the e30 and e36 was much more durable - look at yours- it is original and from 2001.

I change these things now as a PM items but it was getting expensive so I've been researching options. There are quite a few vehicles using the same setup including Ford Focus, Ford Crown Vic, Audi q7, VW Toureg, all are Bosch units - all there forums are complaining of the same issues with failing units and AC not operating when the unit goes or overheating.

Your setup is what I'm gonna head toward - no fan relay. The research continues.

If your car were mine _ i'd find a used motor before putting one of the new fan units in.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:52 AM   #16
dillymanilli

Thanks for the info buddy. I'm on my way to calgary pick n pull to tear apart a 330 ci. Hopefully the fan and what not are still intact
Old 05-21-2015, 10:56 AM   #17
BMW-North

Quote:
Thanks for the info buddy. I'm on my way to calgary pick n pull to tear apart a 330 ci. Hopefully the fan and what not are still intact
Boy I wish we had one of those - I bought another car for parts. If the car has any electic fan you should be able to use it - but also look at some of the older e36 models - if they have the 3 wire fan motor you might be able to grab one of those.

Also you can buy the wiring, fan relay and motor for a MAzda 3 and just change the connector - I picked up one from a crashed car for $30 - it was the Bosch setup.

Good luck - let me know how you make out.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:13 AM   #18
dillymanilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-North View Post
Boy I wish we had one of those - I bought another car for parts. If the car has any electic fan you should be able to use it - but also look at some of the older e36 models - if they have the 3 wire fan motor you might be able to grab one of those.

Also you can buy the wiring, fan relay and motor for a MAzda 3 and just change the connector - I picked up one from a crashed car for $30 - it was the Bosch setup.

Good luck - let me know how you make out.
I've been on the lookout for a parts car for over a year. They're hard to come by, especially the manual 330 coupe. Are you located in Canada too?
Old 05-21-2015, 11:20 AM   #19
BMW-North

Quote:
I've been on the lookout for a parts car for over a year. They're hard to come by, especially the manual 330 coupe. Are you located in Canada too?
Yep - Just north of the GTA

I picked up one a couple of weeks back. It is only a 320 but I wanted it cause the body was mint and my daughters 325xi has rusted fenders, doors and hood

Even though the engine is different (2.2l) than my 325 (2.5) and my 330 (3.0) I can still use most of the parts except for internal engine components and intake boots etc.

The way I looked at it I bought this car for less than what the dealer wanted for an OE Electric Fan and possibly the DISA.

Last edited by BMW-North; 05-21-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:30 AM   #20
dillymanilli

That's a good deal! I picked up my bimmer for a good price too. It's staggering that people go to the dealers to get work done. I do all my own work. You save so much money doing things yourself.