E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
diablorojo

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
E85 conversion on supercharger

So I, like several others want to run E85 without purchasing a proEFI ECU. Having a supercharger TS2+, we don't have the need for very much ECU trickery. With that in mind, I began researching E85 conversions. I finally came across the: e85 bioethanol fuel box (sold in several places but I saw it on eBay, sorry Ipad won't let me post the link)

I emailed the company, explaining I have a supercharger and more importantly, a custom tune. They replied:

Hi this will fit fine. The box can detect changes in the fuel mixture and alter accrdingly. It wont have a negative effect on performance infact methonol is likely to increase performancve. regards

Has anyone used one of this simple plug and play units (5 wire installation)?
In theory it should/could work, I believe it will work on a stock tune.....

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
Edgar3498

My Ride: 330CI
Im curious about this

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App
Edgar3498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Sounds like snakeoil lol...things like this on ebay that don't have a reputation...should never be considered imo.

What happened to the turbo/supercharger hybrid build?

Last edited by Commanderwiggin; 01-28-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Commanderwiggin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
diablorojo

I have seen some videos of the conversions but they never tell what type of product is controlling the fuel management.

After sending the car to 5 tuners, the atlanta area is not good for custom bmw tunes. I have to send the car to houston. So, that required me to complere the overhaul to keep from having to send the car multiple times for multiple tunes. I have replaced just about everything i could...lastly, the fuel filter, coils, and plugs are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. The car was starting and running up until the day the transport came. I had to change vacuum lines after realizing i had several leaks. The car then idled but stumbled as if it wasnt getting fuel....hence the parts recently ordered. I have all the hardware for the turbo but need the car to run...smh

Currently, i'll be happy with a tune, this magic E85 box (lol), and the 16 psi pulley...

I need to get the ECU/e85 set up at the same rime since itz a one shot tune...
Old 01-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
diablorojo

Came across several YouTube videos, I don't doubt the boxes work with certain cars and factory tunes, I'm just wondering if anyone has done it on an E46 as I've seen it on E30's...
Old 01-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
Hrvat

My Ride: 02 Imola Red M3
I thought you were doing turbo/SC setup?

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by roronoah View Post
so 2004 bmw's dont come with a diff?
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
performancenut

My Ride: AA s/c 3 series
Wish it were that simple; I'd be very, very careful with that one and research it quite extensively.

"Sell the 323 and buy an M, it's not worth it"
performancenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #8
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Don't do it.

Only way is a proper tune imo
The boxes alter the injector pulsewidth to make it spray longer, however just adding more fuel wont make you any more power, you need to adjust the timing aswell.

It will work but most likely you'll get less power
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
diablorojo

Thanks...

@hrvat....I just mentioned the status above...
Old 01-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
diablorojo

I am reluctant to do a straight E85 tune because I would like the flexibility to run super or supreme (91/93 octane). White lightning supposedly detected the ethanol content level and adjusted. I guess the hopes of a magic box are too good to be true.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #11
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

Magic box is a a EMS that has support for ethanol temp and content (most ems's out there support this )
Old 01-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #12
diablorojo

@sweturbo... I have only seen proEFI but they have an entire EMS, I want to keep my custom tune without getting a new EMS, and a device that will alter the fuel delivery based on content. Seem as if nothing exists....
Old 01-31-2013, 07:50 AM   #13
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablorojo View Post
@sweturbo... I have only seen proEFI but they have an entire EMS, I want to keep my custom tune without getting a new EMS, and a device that will alter the fuel delivery based on content. Seem as if nothing exists....
I dont understand why you would want a "Piggyback".

Sure you would loose your tune by going with an standalone but that is the point , if you want E85 you're going to need a new tune, just modifying your current one will not be good.

Plus a standalone alows you to make changes yourself, set up auxilliary outputs , datalog etc....
Old 01-31-2013, 09:41 AM   #14
diablorojo

All true, and very good points, but a standalone isn't needed for a supercharger, the tune is pretty dead on based on load, throttle position, etc.. Not as many variables as turbo. So essentially, I would be purchasing a standalone just to run E85 at a cost of $3,500. Even though it would offer me options, I still have to look at the price of the learning curve (a tuner to tune and trouble shoot the basics, installation, dyno, and down time that the vehicle isn't used, which has been over 1.5 years already). Also, I am maxing out my supercharger, so E85 isn't as efficient as on a turbo where I can just turn up the boost to maximize the benefits if the E85.

So for me it's tune for 1 or the other.....I would just have preferred to have the option for both...

And I do know that I can buy a device that stores 2 separate tunes, but that's only if you drive the car completely dry when it's time to switch tunes (not half a tank of gasoline and half a tank of e85)