E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2016, 03:54 PM   #1
My Ride: e61
330d WTCC

Thought I would present the dearer one of my bmws.

Original Gr.N e46 sedan body directly from BMW several years ago. It has never been a road car, and as a factory Gr.N shell has no normal VIN. There is no nasty sound deadening or similar stuff, and body was seam welded when new. I bought it late 2012. Before this it did some long distance racing in Italy.

It had a 3.0d engine in it, but was not really competitive any longer due to the rather poor tuning on it, it only made some 240-260hp in my dyno. Software was absolutely rubbish, and they had added 2 "power boxes" to fool MAF and railpressure readings.
I put on highly modified turbocharger, injectors, new sensors, new engine calibration etc, and we were able to produce up to 405hp/ 860Nm.

Initial track testing showed a good engine, but handling that was not good enough. We tried some minor adjustments thorughout the season but it was evident a larger rebuild would be needed for me to be happy with the car.

*break here when I try to figure out images and stuff on this forum*
Didnt really figure out how to get the images inline here.

The needed capabilitys of the car were defined, and we decided the best way forwad would be to convert the car to WTCC spec. Many of the WTCC cars in europe has been through a similar thing as they started life as DTC cars. The conversion was completed using a WTCC spare package for a car that was driven by Alex Zanardi himself.
This includes carbon fiber widebody, bumper, fender liners, rear spoiler etc.

The car as it sits today, more to my liking:

As described. WTCC conversion, including wheels (last unused set available anywhere)

Intrax with anti roll control, spring rate adjusters and black titan coating
Stiffer sway bars
"GTR" style front suspension.
Reinforced front subframe
Quick ratio steering rack
Spherical bearings in "everything"
Slightly altered geometry

PFC race kit
Motorsport ABS

Engine and drivetrain:
"TRF Performance" 3,0d engine (BMW M57). NEW for this year with many changes to be tested. Aiming for just above 400hp with a nice power band and high durability.
3 different turbo setups to be tested. Simple wasteagted turbos, and a Bi-VNT setup.
OEM ecu (!) with custom calibration.

5 speed standard gearbox.
Single mass flywheel.
SRE clutch
4 plate 210 LSD with no pre load

I hope this is of any interest, and if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TRF 330d.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	631783   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-10-12 16.39.26.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	631784   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140502_174332.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	631785   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140419_125302.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	631786  

Name:	20140420_183737.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	631788   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140527_190901.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	631789   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140630_121141.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	631790   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140224_211355.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	631791  

Name:	20140627_165857.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	631792   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 261.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	631793   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 243.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	631802  

Last edited by TRF; 05-12-2016 at 06:10 PM.
TRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:02 PM   #2
My Ride: e30 318iS
That's really cool!!!

'91 318iS AW
'02 ///M3 carbonschwartz 6MT
DER E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:37 AM   #3
I think so too!

Some info on the engine. It is a m57d30 184hp engine in its original form. It was never sold in the US, it was however a rather popular engine in Europe in e38,e39,e46,e53. The 184 and 193hp are the exact same engines, e39 recieved the 193hp engine in 2001 which has different injectors, but so did all the 184hp version do. It produces approx 400Nm in original form.
There has been quite a lot work done to this engine in order to ensure it functions well as a race engine. Highly modified injection system and turbo system are the most important changes along with carefully and meticiously developed engine calibration (it runs with a m3 s54 MAF for instance).

It is also loaded with somewhat rare BMW Motorsport stuff. Carbon fiber bodykit, ABS etc.

Feel free to comment and ask questions
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160418_224916.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	631954  
Old 05-18-2016, 12:35 AM   #4
My Ride: E46 M3
Such a cool build. Motorsport chassis
M3_Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:45 AM   #5

Unfortunately, it being a "Group N" car originally it was only allowed to have a 6 point cage. So it does not have the awesome BMW Motorsport cage in it.
They did something clever though. The car car is of course 2wd, and always have been. But the body is actually "x drive", because it has a higher torsional rigidity than a 2wd body (you can read about that in bmw tech manual for e46). This (together with seam welded when new) means that even though it only has a 6 point cage it is ridiculously rigid and "dircect" on inputs. A pure joy to drive.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:13 PM   #6
My Ride: E46 M3
I know of a DTC chassis with the buttress cage design. Maybe they changed style during the WTCC years.

Last edited by M3_Aaron; 05-19-2016 at 07:30 PM.
M3_Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:03 AM   #7
Sadly mine only has a "standard" 6 point cage, made by OMP or something. I think this was done in Gr.N (at least in italy) to ensure a lower cost than full caged cars like the wtcc chassis. To me it seems like a weird place to save money though.

We've ran the m3 mk60 abs standalon in the car before, but this is the first time we will run with a proper BMW Motorsport race abs, excited! The stnadard mk60 abs is a decent solution and I think especially important when there is a lot of height difference on the track because of its active brake balance adjuster. But it simply isnt stable and effective enough for me. So hopefully the new unit will do something about it.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:32 AM   #8
craz azn
My Ride: '91 318is, '74 2002
Great looking car! Do you happen to have any more detailed pictures of the front control arms and the mount at the rear on the frame rail?

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:59 AM   #9
My Ride: See Sig
Send a message via AIM to M3J0N
would love to know the details on getting the turbo kit to work on stock ecu. great build!!
98 M3/4/5Arctic/Dove (Sold)
99 M3/2/5 Titanium/Black (Sold)
04 M3/2/6 Carbon Black/Black (Sold)
95 M3/2/5 Carbon Black/Black (Sold)
95 M3/2/5Avus/Dove Grey 3.2L Swap (Current)
90 M3/2/5 Diamond Black/Black 3.0L Swap (Current)
96 M3/2/5Estoril Blue/Black (Current)
01 325iT Wagon Auto Titanium Silver/Red Sport (Current)

M3Forum Is a Joke (lifetime ban):

M3J0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:43 AM   #10
craz azn: I dont. However it is the AKG Motorsport kit. Descent product. If you compare with the _real_ e46 GTR you will see it is farily similar. There are lighter and more beautiful solutions out there, but so far I am happy with the perforamnce of this kit. Not too impressed with the quality of the spherical bearings though.

M3JON: I see I never mentioned the word "diesel". But the engine (3,0d m57d30) is a diesel engine, and as such has a single vacuum operated VNT turbocharger. For me to change between setups is fairly easy as I have full overview of the OEM ecus boost control strategies (I run a small BMW Performance business, and as such I do all software for all our products myself) so I can simply adapt it for whatever I am running, og even shut it off all together. Recalibrating error detection is also nice so the ecus is on par with everything going on.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:59 AM   #11
My Ride: 320D Touring M47
Send a message via ICQ to BlackFlash
Wow! It's a great car!

I whant it to have )))
BlackFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:33 AM   #12
My Ride: Want an S54 sedan
thats an awesome build. Body looks so cool.

1. Do you know what the ratio is for that steering rack?
2. Are you saying that all AWD e46s have a higher torsional rigidity than RWD e46s? Reading off of post number 5.
joeybananaz18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:51 AM   #13
M clunk
My Ride: M3
Amazing build!

I'd love to see your GTR reinforced front subframe.

Last race I ripped my swaybar mounts right out, and I'm curious to see what else could be reinforced up there
M clunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:00 PM   #14
BlackFlash: Thanks!

joey: 1: it is a special built to order race rack. It moves 62mm per turn (the only way to properly measure how "quick" a rack is). 2: Correct. You can also read this in one of the tech papers directly from BMW. The differences you will see when using xdrive body for 2wd car is the left gearbbox mount is moved (easy enough to weld in), and the hole where your shifter goes through is "higher" in xdrive. So if you mound a typical aftermarket/motorsport shifter it will sit a bit higher.

M clunk: My front subframe is reinforced, but its not a GTR subrame. Those things have completely different subframes because of how they mounted the p60 (and probably strength as well). My front suspension/control arms are "GTR" "STW" style. Several companies now make these, and mine is AKG as I got a good deal with them, and you wont have to weld new mounts in the subframe for them. This style of fornt control arms (in slightly different versions) has been the standard since later DTM cars I thinkg (DTM->STW->GTR etc). The AKG ones seem to have nicely set up anti dive out of the box.
For sway bar I actually only have a stiffener plate between body and "holder". But then again, my swaybars are softer than I like (HR m3), but I have Anti Roll Control built into the dampes which does a lot (this stuff actually works). I have been looking for a set of genuine wtcc roll bars, the larger version, but havent come across any at a descent price yet.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:17 PM   #15
First race of the season completed, and finished 2nd place. This was a BMW Cup (BMW CCN Racing) race together with "Corsa Italiana" cup (italian cars). Qualified third, had a very good initial start but a stupid driver error caused me to open up for p4 (Ferrari 348). Was stuck battling with him for laps before I was able to pass. The Alfa in front of me (very neat and quick car) on the photo had a DNF during the race so resulted in 2nd for me.

All things considered (fuel system issues, too big turbo as I am still waiting for mine, power turned down some 80hp) I am happy with the result.

The 348 was to my left and just left out of the picture.

The rest of the BMW field consisted of the winner, heavily modified e28 with s54. E36 with s54, e36 with s50b32, and a e21 m10 turbo.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:00 PM   #16
So over here in cold Norway the season is over. So here is a quick summary:

Race 2:
Qualified P2. I actually wound up with a "DNS" here, because my power steering line bursted, thus "leaking oil" and I was denied to start. One of the scruiteneers was on my side and fought the argument that "there is no more oil to leak anyways, the reservoir is empty". Clever guy. But a DNS it was either way.

Race 3 & 4:
These I missed. My best friend got married so couldnt really miss out on that.

Test and Tune:
With 6 brand new injectors, took it to the track, and still railpressure issues. Sessions were used to dial in a lower power where at least it would run reliably.

There was also a session of "family driving", so I took my e61 525d M-Sport,manual (250hp) with my children as co-drivers. A great success. Even the wife tried a few hot laps after some tutoring.
I then also noticed that these clever cars can throw warnings like "high braking load", and it was correct, brakes were on the verge of fading more than what is ok.

Race 5:
Down on power, but determined to not let that get in the way. Practice sessions yields lap times that confirms I am on track for P2. More competition in this race with a very nice e36 m3 and a e30 s62 powered beast that are all interested in P2, along with the earlier mentioned cars.
Qualifying secures me P2. Rolling start:

The white alfa is a turbo powered thing that goes like.. well, lots of power. As you can clearly see by his rather hefty jump on me (and everyone else) when the lights went green (along with a rather poor start by me).
The 4 leading cars pull away and ahead there are some laps of bumper to bumper and door to door racing. Lovely! In the end I finnish 2nd.

Race 6:
Qualified P2 (again). Lineup:

As observant eyes might catch, debries in the track took part of my rear right fender out in race 5. These are rather sturdy so I was a bit surprised. Luckily, BMW Motorsport parts arent expensive at all....

The white turbo alfa manages to out pull both me and the e28 down the long straightway (2 turns after the start/finish straight). But as he is not quicker overall it is now ready for some very close racing and brave passes. As I am down on power, and the driver (and car) in the e28 is faster than me, my main trick is that I can brake a bit later at a few critical points (thanks to PFC and BMW Motorsport ABS engineers). Turns into a race with many changes in P1-3 and which is always very spectator friendly. The e28 even made contact with me in good classic "touring car" style. Luckily it was the less expensive end of the car, the rear.

As you can see, I was only able to compete in half of the races this year. Cup winner was going to be the e28 (he has won 5 out of 6 races, and the one he didnt win was a DNF). I was sure I would be out of the race for the any descent result in the overall Cup, but it turns out I just barely managed to secure 2nd place in BMW Cup 2016 (Norway).

Sadly, no onboard from any of the BMWs. We are spotted lapping one of the Italia guys here, at 13:06:

And here, at 17:55

Tires are past their best (overheating), probably in part due to the idiot behind the wheel desperately trying to hold on to the the faster e28, and mistreating tires and car as a result (and horrible lines to follow).
I previously mentioned that the turbo currently on the car (as mine is being rebuilt) is "less than ideal". As you can see in the 90degree lefthander in both videos I am below boost threshold in third gear, second is too low, so i floor it early to build some EGT, then on the clutch (poor thing) to get the damn thing going. Comined with actually being about 100hp short on power when it does get going you can imangine there were many bad words inside the car. Especially when you are lapping people who dont want to move over until they have to or you make them (the guy in the video is very good, moves over early and stays clear).

So whats next? A few main areas will be the focus for next year (lets not talk about fixing the "problem" behind the steering wheel just yet).

- We will need an even bigger HP pump. Part of the feed side will also be redesigned (fuel)
- Complete my own turbo. This will yield just above 400hp capacity, but with a much broader power band than the thing currently on. EFR for the win, but as they refuse to offer and descent hot sides for us diesel guys it will be a custom hybrid.
- Cooling pack. I need to disperse of way more heat energy. Both from the engine, but also charge air. I am working on a few options. (huge cooler pack with GTR/GT2 style air management? or move some of it to the rear with huge side ducts?)

Lastly I am also thinking about aerodynamics. It is clear I can benefint from more downforce, but I am a not too keen on chopping up a rather nice wtcc car.

Thanks to all for a great season both in the BMW Cup, and the friendly guys and girls in "Corsa Italiana". Thank you to all who have helped (you know who you are), and thank you bmw parts supplier KOED.

Feedback, questions and suggestions are welcome

Last edited by TRF; 10-08-2016 at 02:03 PM.