E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #21
badfast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Korea
Posts: 539
My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
You highlighted my word "bet" but still don't know the meaning?

Conclusion?
in other words talking out your ass?
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #22
casino is no lie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CDT
Posts: 76
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
You highlighted my word "bet" but still don't know the meaning?
Is that another bet?
__________________
casino is no lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #23
217Bimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: not Illinois
Posts: 146
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
We're not discussing suicide.
oh fvcking snap
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #24
rapier7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ATL
Posts: 78
My Ride: Subaru BRZ
badfast, what is the purpose of this thread besides demolishing a strawman argument?
__________________
http://meta-rhetoric.com - Unfiltered Reality
rapier7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #25
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica
 
rdsesq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cali...the only state that matters
Posts: 1,452
My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Cigarettes kill 400,000 a year, go chase that dog
Those people unselfishly give up their longer SS payments for the good of their fellow citizens. They are the only ones taking action to reduce the SS burden.
__________________
"The existence of life is a highly overrated phenomenon."
-- Dr Manhattan

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #26
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian
 
JonJon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: One of the most evil states ever to exist
Posts: 3,480
My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
Those people unselfishly give up their longer SS payments for the good of their fellow citizens. They are the only ones taking action to reduce the SS burden.


lol

love it
__________________
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #27
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
Those people unselfishly give up their longer SS payments for the good of their fellow citizens. They are the only ones taking action to reduce the SS burden.
ha!
__________________
Gold Medal Recipient: Jimmy Rustling (2014)

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #28
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 4,891
My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
Those people unselfishly give up their longer SS payments for the good of their fellow citizens. They are the only ones taking action to reduce the SS burden.
Unfortunately the only one really benefiting in that situation is the government.
__________________
Quote:
Base Salary - $174,000 a year
Perks - Certain exemptions of law while in service, include tax subsidies
Sick Days - Unlimited
Working Days in 2013 - 159
Accountability for poor performance - None
Healthcare - Top notch

Want to complain about entitlements.....start with Congress.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #29
brew
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 347
My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
What I get from those stats is that they should de-regulate explosives.
brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #30
sammk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 378
My Ride: Bone-stock E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post
Cool.

Now compare gun homicides to the following:

Cigarettes
Alcohol
Cars
Medical Malpractice
Abortion
Cancer
Heart Failure
and Old Age

Except none of them was created with the sole intent to kill/maim/hurt or otherwise cause grievous bodily injury...

__________________


E92 convert. BMW Fanatic.
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #31
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammk View Post
Except none of them was created with the sole intent to kill/maim/hurt or otherwise cause grievous bodily injury...

intent of creation is irrelevant, we're trying to SAVE THE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!
__________________
Gold Medal Recipient: Jimmy Rustling (2014)

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:33 PM   #32
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 818
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammk View Post
Except none of them was created with the sole intent to kill/maim/hurt or otherwise cause grievous bodily injury...

The intent doesn't matter.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 01-29-2013 at 08:33 PM.
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #33
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 4,891
My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammk View Post
Except none of them was created with the sole intent to kill/maim/hurt or otherwise cause grievous bodily injury...

Death is death.
__________________
Quote:
Base Salary - $174,000 a year
Perks - Certain exemptions of law while in service, include tax subsidies
Sick Days - Unlimited
Working Days in 2013 - 159
Accountability for poor performance - None
Healthcare - Top notch

Want to complain about entitlements.....start with Congress.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #34
325seeeye
Core Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rocket City
Posts: 1,163
My Ride: 325Ci, e36 325is
Those in favor of assault rifle ban,

What is your reasoning to go after AR weapons and to ignore handguns? Are Assault rifles just "a good start"? Lets be honest and don't hold back. On paper, the ban looks like they are passing anything just to say "we did something". That isn't a reason to pass a law.
__________________
325seeeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:22 PM   #35
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325seeeye View Post
Those in favor of assault rifle ban,

What is your reasoning to go after AR weapons and to ignore handguns? Are Assault rifles just "a good start"? Lets be honest and don't hold back. On paper, the ban looks like they are passing anything just to say "we did something". That isn't a reason to pass a law.
SCOTUS already gave the FU to hand gun bans, rifles are what's left
__________________
Gold Medal Recipient: Jimmy Rustling (2014)

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #36
325seeeye
Core Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rocket City
Posts: 1,163
My Ride: 325Ci, e36 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
SCOTUS already gave the FU to hand gun bans, rifles are what's left
Yeah, I get that. That isn't a good reason for going after AR IMO.

I think an AR ban will just shift the number of gun violence from the AR column over to a different column (probably handguns). So, again, there is no sense in banning assault rifles, unless you want to start the precedent of "banning guns", with the eventual hopes of getting rid of them at all.

At least that is how I perceive the exuberance for the AR ban. But I wanted to hear the rationale from people who support the ban.

The other reason (that I guess) is the simple appearance of "we did something". I don't agree with that reason. Either reason doesn't make sense to ban AR IMO, which is why I don't support it. But I am open to more thoughts about it.
__________________
325seeeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #37
Zell
Registered User
 
Zell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Such City
Posts: 5,703
My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
The intent doesn't matter.
Yes it does. Something designed to kill means it's going to be easier to kill someone.

It's the difference between a rock and a hammer.

I can use a heavy brass piece of art to drive in a nail. That's not its intent, but I can do it.

I can use a hammer to drive in a nail. That's its intent, and it makes it a whole lot easier.
__________________

Last edited by Zell; 01-30-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #38
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 818
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Yes it does. Something designed to kill means it's going to be easier to kill someone.

It's the difference between a rock and a hammer.

I can use a heavy brass piece of art to drive in a nail. That's not its intent, but I can do it.

I can use a hammer to drive in a nail. That's its intent, and it makes it a whole lot easier.
If something designed NOT to kill (cigarettes, alcohol, etc.) does a better job at killing than something that IS designed to kill (a firearm), then what does that say about it all?


The point is that the inanimate object is not the issue, it's the individual holding that object and the actions they take with it.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #39
badfast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Korea
Posts: 539
My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
If something designed NOT to kill (cigarettes, alcohol, etc.) does a better job at killing than something that IS designed to kill (a firearm), then what does that say about it all?


The point is that the inanimate object is not the issue, it's the individual holding that object and the actions they take with it.
It is hard to arm myself with a cigarette or a heart attack and kill someone else.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #40
Lair
Modded ///Member
 
Lair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sea level
Posts: 321
My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Why does anyone need a gun when hammers and cars are available?
__________________

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use