E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 12:15 AM   #1
Slapshot1

My Ride: 05 BMW M3 w/ Comp Pk
E46 M3 - How To Get Bluetooth and XM Radio?

This is really a follow-up to my other recent thread. However, I realized this week that my priorities have changed. While driving a friends car for a few days while in his city for work, I became aware that all I really want in a replacement head unit for my outdated Harmon Kardon system, is FM, AM, good Bluetooth for my phone connectivity, XM radio and reasonably good quality sound overall. I honestly don't even care about NAV (don't even use the one I have in either vehicle).

I've tried searching this forum, and others without much luck. Virtually all the related threads are 3-4 years old and mostly concern a long discontinued BMW XM unit, that apparently had its own issues.

Is there any way at all to achieve what I want? It's hard to believe in this day and age that it's simply not possible!

I was close to pulling the trigger on either a Dynavin 99+, or AVIN unit from Jeff at J&T distributing, but no XM radio, and no one in my state that could install it. And I can't use the streaming XM/Sirius app, because my calculations tell me that my 2gb per month data plan would be maxed in 10-15 days of use, and that's not allowing for ANY other data use. And I'm already paying way to much for that cellular plan.

Any suggestions, advice, or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

JC
Slapshot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:23 AM   #2
Slapshot1

Anything? My god, we've put men on the moon!
Old 04-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #3
haterdan

My Ride: 325xit
I grabbed a single din kenwood that has bluetooth xm ipod ipone andriod control and it was like 200 bucks.
haterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
ofcounsel

My Ride: 2001 M3 Vert
I'm adding this to my stock system: http://www.bavsound.com/Device-Integration/

I just ordered mine a few days ago. Has pretty much everything you're looking for.
ofcounsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:39 PM   #5
jaywood

My Ride: 2002 330i
Look into the Eonon GM5150.
jaywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:26 PM   #6
JD1906

My Ride: 2005 330xi
I'm thinking of getting a pioneer DEHX8600BS and connecting siriusxm200v1.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
JD1906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:26 PM   #7
TRMTuning

My Ride: Boosted E36
You have two basic choices.

1 - Aftermarket iPod Kit that does Bluetooth and satellite radio. Everyone I know of is Sirirus though which is very close to the same thing.

2 - Aftermarket Radio of some type.
TRMTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:32 PM   #8
JD1906

My Ride: 2005 330xi
TRMTuning what are some good kits for a 2005 330XI?

JD1906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:00 PM   #9
Slapshot1

Thanks for the replies so far. The issue is that I cannot find anything that fits into the dash opening without completely ruining the look of the interior. That's excepting the Dynavin/Avin etc., that do fit, but don't offer XM/Sirius radio.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #10
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
you could do the avin with the sirius XM app and stream the audio.....but that would depend on if you have cell service everywhere you go, sufficient data, etc.... And ultimately isnt functionally much different than just running the app on your phone and streaming the audio to your headunit.

But ultimately none of the "oem look" head units work with traditional sat radio.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 04-21-2014 at 02:12 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:32 PM   #11
Slapshot1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcounsel View Post
I'm adding this to my stock system: http://www.bavsound.com/Device-Integration/

I just ordered mine a few days ago. Has pretty much everything you're looking for.
Thanks for the suggestion. BSW makes excellent speakers, and offers very good customer service, but their DICE electronics, which I believe they farmed out production of, had many, many issues which you can glean from this and other forums. I also haven't heard of that changing with recent equipment. I hope your experience is a positive one.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #12
Slapshot1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions View Post
you could do the avin with the sirius XM app and stream the audio.....but that would depend on if you have cell service everywhere you go, sufficient data, etc.... And ultimately isnt functionally much different than just running the app on your phone and streaming the audio to your headunit.

But ultimately none of the "oem look" head units work with traditional sat radio.
Jeff, that's exactly where I'm stuck. While a new plan being offered to me from Verizon would solve the hotspot requirement, my phones data plan would only support about ten days a month of streaming the XM app. Not to mention my cell phone plan is already prohibitively expensive as it is. If not for that (and lacking any local installer) I would already have been talking to you about ordering an Avin unit.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:57 PM   #13
ofcounsel

My Ride: 2001 M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot1 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. BSW makes excellent speakers, and offers very good customer service, but their DICE electronics, which I believe they farmed out production of, had many, many issues which you can glean from this and other forums. I also haven't heard of that changing with recent equipment. I hope your experience is a positive one.
Thanks! I'll keep the forum updated.
ofcounsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:43 PM   #14
TRMTuning

My Ride: Boosted E36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1906 View Post
TRMTuning what are some good kits for a 2005 330XI?

One of the 'basic' kits works very well if you are trying to listen to music. Keep it simple and enjoy.
TRMTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:19 AM   #15
Razz617

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
I have the Pumpkin KD-C1107. It fits PERFECTLY into the dash, has Android 4.4 & looks OEM.
LOOK IT UP!
My only reserve is that i am looking to hook up my Sirius/XM external to it without using the cigg lighter to power it up. Anyone out there find a way to hook up external components and power them up while keeping the clean(no wires showing) look?

thanks
Razz617 is offline   Reply With Quote