E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
Compression gear thread

What's the difference between compression shorts from different companies?

There was a 50% sale on sports goods at the mall next to me. I bought underarmour, Reebok, Head compression shorts. I noticed some of them are thin, others are thicker. I compared and material composition (nylon ,etc...) from all companies vary slightly. But the same base materials are used (from reading the labels). The same applies to socks.

Some shorts are twice as expensive as others. What gives and what to look for when buying compression gear?
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
just buy from greg and don't stress lol
Old 05-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
z00

Nope, I need to understand first. I'm an educated buyer lol

I would buy from Greg, but could not pass up on that 50% discount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
just buy from greg and don't stress lol
Old 05-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Does it say whether or not they are for cold weather or warm weather.

And quit being such a PIA.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled
Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
You are contradicting yourself
Since you bought the stuff without educating yourself first

[bimmerapp]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post

[bimmerapp]
I had that exact statement typed up, but he will come back and say that he already stated he couldn't pass up the deal.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:

I would buy from Greg, but could not pass up on that 50% discount.
you're so annoying lol. You could have bumped his thread and posted there and gotten a great response.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post

[bimmerapp]
exactly. If I owned a compression company, constantly gave people deals, and then saw this post I'd be annoyed.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
I'm going to close this thread after stating what I need to say.

z00, you will find that there exists a vast difference between TRUE (..and usually expensive) compression gear and fashion compression gear (..Nike, UA, Reebok, etc.). What you're looking at is fashion compression gear - like what I wear - and the main difference between them will be negligible, so buy what you like based on fitment and aesthetics. I prefer Nike based on material, construction and its ability to hold up over a prolonged period of time. I don't care for Reebok goods and the UA items that I own are merely okay. I will state with an undisputable fervor that UA stuff remains relatively odor free; majority of the Nike stuff does start to hold odor the longer that it is worn, and no amount of washing or ammonia will get rid of it permanently (...ex...it'll smell fresh after a wash, but 10 minutes into your workout it will reek). With that said, I still buy Nike items based on aesthetics. Nike items didn't used to do this (...I have nearly 8 year old Nike compression stuff that does not have this problem; the newer stuff that is only a year or two old DOES).

Last edited by M3Inline6; 05-16-2013 at 01:55 PM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
z00

Fair enough, I'll find the other compression thread.

How can I delete? Don't see a delete option on my thread.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
z00

Finally an answer. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post

z00, you will find that there exists a vast difference between TRUE (..and usually expensive) compression gear and fashion compression gear (..Nike, UA, Reebok, etc.). What you're looking at is fashion compression gear - like what I wear - and the main difference between them will be negligible, so buy what you like based on fitment and aesthetics. I prefer Nike based on material, construction and its ability to hold up over a prolonged period of time. I don't care for Reebok goods and the UA items that I own are merely okay. I will state with an undisputable fervor that UA stuff remains relatively odor free; majority of the Nike stuff does start to hold odor the longer that it is worn, and no amount of washing or ammonia will get rid of it permanently (...ex...it'll smell fresh after a wash, but 10 minutes into your workout it will reek). With that said, I still buy Nike items based on aesthetics. Nike items didn't used to do this (...I have nearly 8 year old Nike compression stuff that does not have this problem; the newer stuff that is only a year or two old DOES).

Last edited by z00; 05-16-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post

Try the new UA stuff. It's awesome. Not that I'm biased or anything.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #13
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
*paging Glight*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #14
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Compression apparel is interesting nowadays in that "compression" has become a very generic term. Basically if something is tight people call it compression.

To actually provide a tangible benefit (and there are definitely arguments how much benefit it provides if at all) the fabric needs to have a significant portion of spandex (also called elastane or lycra). Typically to be legit compression apparel it needs to be at least 25% this material.

The cosmetic brands that M3I6 mentioned are typically anywhere from 10% - 18% spandex. This makes it tight and stretchy, but it doesn't provide enough compression to provide any tangible benefit.

When you get into the actual compression apparel brands like Skins, 2XU, CEP, our company, and a few others you will start seeing higher price tags and 26 - 30% spandex.

Compression is actually measureable. The unit of measurement is pretty much meaningless for everyday discussion purposes. mmHg. If you can figure out a good way to explain that in laymans terms let me know...

Our clothing is 8 - 18mmHG and our socks are 20-30mmHg. If you were to go into a medical supply store you actually need a prescription to buy anything with a compression level higher than 40mmHg.

Here is a good article that explains some of the science behind compression apparel.

http://www.ausport.gov.au/sportscoac...e_and_recovery

Even though I basically have an unlimited supply of gear I actually still wear UnderArmour boxerjocks every day as underwear. Our stuff is just too tight to be comfortable all day everyday (except the socks which I wear 24/7).

Its really all personal preference, but I do think we offer a great product at a fair price. We only sell online, so there is no retail markup with our stuff like you would get with Skins or 2XU. A pair of compression pants from those brands is $120....no sh!t.... It makes sense though when you think about it since they are probably selling it to the running specialty store for $50 which is close to what we sell for. This stuff is not cheap to manufacture since you need special looms to be able to produce the fabric to make legit compression apparel.

The expensive brands make really nice stuff (probably a little nicer than ours) but most people I have talked to would rather have 3 pairs of ours than one pair of skins. Hope that helps. If you have any other questions, please let me know.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #15
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
op is a phucking *******
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:28 AM   #16
z00

Greg, thank you for the detailed answer. Now I know what those percentages mean.

You're spot on with the percentages of spandex, it was below 20% on all shorts I purchased.

Are the socks you sell long enough to be used for soccer (to cover and hold shin guards in place)? If yes, hook me up, I'll order a pair. I just measured, my shin guards sit 6 inches below the top of the kneecap. I'm 5'11.5".

A couple more questions:
1- Do the socks have padding on heel and toes for support and blister prevention?

2- I play soccer for a couple of hours, would the socks with the shin guards have too much pressure on my calves?

For shorts, I'm going to test the ones the I got, will get in touch with you later as I'll probably need more. Have always used cotton underwear and I'm new to this compression $hit.

Last edited by z00; 05-17-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:41 AM   #17
z00

Dude calm the fvck down you're going to pop a nerve or something. I need to know what I'm buying. I did not see the other compression thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
exactly. If I owned a compression company, constantly gave people deals, and then saw this post I'd be annoyed.

You could lick my left ball that's hurting. I just shaved. Be sure to brush and clean your mouth and tongue. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushy View Post
op is a phucking *******
Old 05-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #18
Glight

Quote:
Greg, thank you for the detailed answer. Now I know what those percentages mean.

You're spot on with the percentages of spandex, it was below 20% on all shorts I purchased.

Are the socks you sell long enough to be used for soccer (to cover and hold shin guards in place)? If yes, hook me up, I'll order a pair. I just measured, my shin guards sit 6 inches below the top of the kneecap. I'm 5'11.5".

A couple more questions:
1- Do the socks have padding on heel and toes for support and blister prevention?

2- I play soccer for a couple of hours, would the socks with the shin guards have too much pressure on my calves?

For shorts, I'm going to test the ones the I got, will get in touch with you later as I'll probably need more. Have always used cotton underwear and I'm new to this compression $hit.
There is some padding in the toe and heel but nothing crazy. I can almost guarantee you won't get any blisters in these.

I don't know if they will fit shin pads though. They are compression socks, so they are pretty tight. I've never really played soccer.... how thick are shin guards? These would definitely be tall enough, I just dont know if you would be able to get them over the shin guards. You would definitely want to size up and I wouldn't recommend the black ones as they are a bit less stretchy due to the double layering of fabric.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #19
z00

My shin guards are .32 of an inch thick.

I thought the black ones are the only ones with toe/heel padding. No?

If this helps, Adidas soccer socks work well (they're designed for soccer after all). But they have only low spandex percentage. Here is their compression version, (I use the non-compression version) so you have something to compare to for dimensions:

http://www.adidas.com/us/product/tra...z13xg9Z1z13071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
There is some padding in the toe and heel but nothing crazy. I can almost guarantee you won't get any blisters in these.

I don't know if they will fit shin pads though. They are compression socks, so they are pretty tight. I've never really played soccer.... how thick are shin guards? These would definitely be tall enough, I just dont know if you would be able to get them over the shin guards. You would definitely want to size up and I wouldn't recommend the black ones as they are a bit less stretchy due to the double layering of fabric.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #20
Glight

Quote:
My shin guards are .32 of an inch thick.

I thought the black ones are the only ones with toe/heel padding. No?

If this helps, Adidas soccer socks work well (they're designed for soccer after all). But they have only low spandex percentage. Here is their compression version, (I use the non-compression version) so you have something to compare to for dimensions:

http://www.adidas.com/us/product/tra...z13xg9Z1z13071
The black have more than the others for sure, but you wont get blisters in the others. I just worry about getting the black ones over the shin guards. I dont think it would be as much of a problem with the other colors. I would still size up though.